Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Commercials in movies?
    #4223910 - 05/26/05 06:53 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

So I went to see star wars yesterday.

Why the hell haven't their been mass protests against commercials in movies. It would be very simple. Hand out fliers outside the theater that say "We do not appreciate paying 8 dollars / ticket and having to sit through commercials. We realize that the theatre is acting on economic realities. As the client of the movie house, we can alter their economic reality and stop these commercials. If you want to stop these advertisements, please join us in boycotting the consessions stand until the practice stops. Only buy a ticket, and inform the manager you will not be purchasing consessions until the practice stops."

It would work. I hate this commercial shit. Why doesn't someone (else) do something about it?

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Commercials in movies? [Re: tomk]
    #4223921 - 05/26/05 06:55 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thats always bugged me too....

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#4223976 - 05/26/05 07:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tomk said:
Why doesn't someone (else) do something about it?

Because we all say that to ourselves. "Why the fuck does everyone else put up with this shit! They're all fucking morons! haha, look, it's the Taco Bell dog! Yo quiero Taco Bell! Why hasn't someone else done something about this!?!?"  :grin:

Sadly, I do the same thing as I just described. I think people just figure it's not going to work, and it will end up sounding like one of those e-mails not to purchase gas on a certain day - which is how it would end up being, most likely.

I refuse to go to the theater these days, unless it's something I REALLY want to see, or it's something everyone else wants to see and I have the choice of going or sitting at home. Personally, between the people talking during the movies, cellphones, commericals, sometimes shitty sound, bad quality of movies, ticket prices.... I'd rather just watch a movie at home, on my comfortable couch, great sound system, and the freedom to smoke before a movie.

There was one time when my friends & I smoked outside of a movie theater, and when we went in, the ticket collector said "Hey, these guys smell pretty good! Makes me want to go on break!" He said it very loudly with a LEO around. Needless to say, we were all " :whistling: :shiftyeyes:"

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #4223992 - 05/26/05 07:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You talking about the previews?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: Commercials in movies? [Re: Learyfan]
    #4224003 - 05/26/05 07:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

No, I'm talking about the commercials they put in between the previews and the commercials they play before the show but after the showtime has been announced.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
    #4224004 - 05/26/05 07:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

movies are costing more and more to make, so the cost of running a theater goes up, and they must compensate.

I dont like the commercials, but I cant say I blame the theaters for having them

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: Commercials in movies? [Re: Turd]
    #4224009 - 05/26/05 07:23 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Right, but if someone (else) did something like this it would spread fast, and change the economic incentives for the movie theater owners. They'd rather sell concessions then ads, it would be easy to force the choice.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#4224024 - 05/26/05 07:30 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I think it's amazing that the cost of movies hss gone up, yet the quality, in general, has gone down the shitter. There were movies like the LOTR trilogy, which cost plenty, but they made good use of the money and only used it to enhance the actual movie itself. Too many movies just sink $$$$$ into special f/xs because there are people who still get amused at talking animals. haha, yo quiero Taco Bell. That dog always gets me.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4224161 - 05/26/05 08:10 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I remember when that phenomena started happening. The first time I saw it there were 15 minutes of commercials before the previews even started. People in the audience started yelling, jeering, and expressing disgust that they paid money to watch commercials. Shortly afterwards, my local theater stopped showing commercials.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4224672 - 05/26/05 10:45 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

thats why we always get to the theatre 10 mins after the official "start" time - we miss all the crap. of course, the drawback is the lack of choice seats.

oh, and bittorrent is a good thing.

OfflineTheDudeAbides
Livin Off FrostyBarley Pops andPork Soda
 User Gallery

Re: Commercials in movies? [Re: Vvellum]
    #4224693 - 05/26/05 10:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

No commercials around here unless you mean for the theatre of course, and there's only one of those.

I hate commercials IN the movies themselves.....God damn Will Smith with the converse in I-Robot. LAME

meh,

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder