Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDroog
Stranger
Using spore prints
    #422181 - 10/11/01 04:46 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I just got a couple prints in the mail today! I was pleasently surprised, i will tell you that! anyways, they came in a piece of paper folded over and taped shut.. im just wondering how i go about openning the package, getting the spores out and putting them into my culture jars without contaminating anything.. i dont have an empty syringe so thats out of the question.. if anyone knows how to make a simple inoculation loop and how to use it, please leave a message.
thanks!

"cus it aint gonna be like you think it is - thats the one thing you can take to the bank."

--------------------
"cus it aint gonna be like you think it is - thats the one thing you can take to the bank."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycoGlowFlow
between the walls
Male

Loc: michigan
Re: Using spore prints [Re: Droog]
    #422190 - 10/11/01 04:52 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

use agar plates

hey DEA, everything i said was false

--------------------
(the key-strokes that have completed everything ever typed on this user name have been a random coincidence, except for the words in this notation)

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male
Loc: Canada
Re: Using spore prints [Re: MycoGlowFlow]
    #422214 - 10/11/01 05:24 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

can someone please tell me what the hell Agar is? :P

open to buying new spore prints, anytime. :P

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

InvisibleUv1
enthusiast

Loc: Bloom County
Post deleted by users_request [Re: Droog]
    #422917 - 10/12/01 06:04 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Using spore prints [Re: Uv1]
    #423139 - 10/12/01 11:38 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

its pretty easy actually. even i can do it, lol. theres a tek here at shroomery that works awesome: http://www.shroomery.org/findorgrowthem.php?View=docs&doc=119
I also boil the shotglass in teh water i use in the syringe and only wipe the needle with alcohol, no flame sterilization. I also set up a burger king tray on my kitchen table with paper towel lining the bottom, put 4 tall glasses outside all 4 corners of my work area and use 3 or 4 squares of paper towel all still stuck together and place it over the glasses and wrap the excess under the glasses to create a 'canopy' over my work area; tho the back and front are still open it works 100% so far. just keep the immediate area clean and draft free, the canopy will catch all the crap from falling in your shotglass. I also add about 1cc of honey to the shotglass so the spores can germinate in the syringe. after i boil the shotglass, put a small amt of honey in teh glass and microwave it for 10 seconds. it will boil and be sterile. cover with clean paper towel and transfer from mic to your canopy setup and continue with the tek. i also use an alcohol sterile razor to scrape spores, not the needle.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Using spore prints [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #423251 - 10/12/01 01:46 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Ummm, despite what most people seem to believe you can innoculate using prints JUST FINE without syringes, I promise. The only problem is that you have be very careful with sterilization of your 'work room' when you innoculate the jars

NOTE: This can't be used if you have the dry verm layer or the ramsey seal. I've seen things work just fine using this method with whole brown rice and no verm layer, however.

PARTS
======
++ Lighter or alcohol lamp
++ 1 spray bottle, filled 50/50 of water and bleach
++ 1 Lysol-type disinfecting spray (get the best you can find)
++ 1 bottle of rubbing alcohol
++ Plenty of paper towels
++ Dust mask, long sleeve shirt and cap
++ Something pointy (metal fork, syringe needle, paperclip work fine)

CLEANING STEPS
==============
1) Sweep and mop the floor of the room you'll be using
2) Close all airvents and doors to the room, you want as little airflow as humanly possible. Wait 15 minutes for dust to settle
3) Get dressed right. This means putting on the dust mask, wearing long sleeves, and putting all your hair under the cap.
4) Spray all working surfaces heavily with the lysol.
5) Let lysol dry for a few minutes, then wipe down with paper towels
6) Lightly respray surfaces with lysol, but don't wipe off with towels this time.
7) Clean your hands with rubbing alcohol, make sure to get every part of your hands wet. keep rubbing them together until the alcohol evaporates.
8) Heavily mist the area above your making space with the water/bleach bottle, so that all airborne particles are either killed or dragged down to the floor by the mist.

Your work area is now ready and should be pretty damn sterile. A HEPA filter would be a good investment, but I've never found it necessary if you make sure to mist the air every 3-4 jars.

INNOCULATION STEPS
==================

1) If it's been more than 5 minutes since you misted the air or washed your hands in the alcohol, do it again just to be sure. Your working area should always be slightly damp from the lysol and water/bleach mist that settles.
2) Take your pointy object (tine of a METAL fork works well), dip it in the rubbing alcohol, apply flame to it until all the rubbing alcohol has burned away. give it 20 seconds or so to cool.
3) Carefully open your jar and set the lid upside down (open side facing up) on your work area.
4) Doing your best to keep the print inside the bag (if its folded you'll have to take it out and fix it), scrape a clump of spores onto the substrate of the exposed jar. If you can see black specks, you have more than enough.
5) Quickly take the lid and put it back on the jar.

Every 3-5 jars, remist the air and rewash your hands.

==

If you have the patience, build yourself a glove box so you only have to control 'bad shit' within a tiny little area as opposed to your kitchen/bathroom. On the other hand, a friend did 20 jars this way and only had 2 go bad without having to mess with syringes or Ramsey seals.

if you really want foolproof innoc, get a syringe and use the ramsey seal. You can make several syringes from a print. But, if you can still make beautiful jars using prints alone as long as you take the extra step to be clean

Grover

Edited by FungusFarmer on 10/12/01 02:54 PM.

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Using spore prints [Re: FungusFarmer]
    #423262 - 10/12/01 01:59 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

holy fuck that sounds like a lotta work. plus with only 1 innoc point being right on the top sound like it may have slower colonization time rather than using presoaked (and with honey in syringe previously germinated) and having 4 or so innoc points nearer to the middle of the substrate. i use my method on my kitchen table, i close my windows but there stil is an open walkway to my living room and i still have our canary flopping around making noise and pissing me off on the same table. actually on the last 2 syringes i set his worthless ass on the ground next to the table. i would say invest $1.50 per reusable syringe here from sporeworks. yeah there is a min order of 10 if youre only getting syringes, i just ordered a print and got 3 more syringes with it. pretty damn easy IMHO

--------------------

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Using spore prints [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #423281 - 10/12/01 02:09 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

It sounds like it takes forever, but all in all it's about 20 minutes of preparation followed by 20 minutes of innoculating jars.

No one said innoculating without a syringe would be quick or easy, but he asked and I figured I'd lend my experience to the mix

Grover

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Loc: TX
Re: Using spore prints [Re: Droog]
    #423314 - 10/12/01 02:29 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Droog,
I am dropping your print in the mail today. I will include an empty syringe for you. Cherish it. The syringe is new and sterile, the needle will need to go into your P cooker...Wraped in foil PCed for 20 min. flame when used.

For Premium prints and cultivation info check out www.thehawkseye.com

--------------------
All rhinos are endangered species...save the rhinos

InvisibleSandanista
Re: Using spore prints [Re: TrippinRhino]
    #423378 - 10/12/01 03:42 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

is it possible to just run alcohol through the needle? wouldn't that clean it out?

Offlinehoneyroasted
Re: Using spore prints [Re: Sandanista]
    #423392 - 10/12/01 03:58 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

as a reply to using alcohol, i've done it before and had no contamination

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Using spore prints [Re: honeyroasted]
    #423544 - 10/12/01 05:54 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

just make sure you rinse out all teh alcohol with sterile water at least 3 or 4 times. the alcohol will kill the spores.

--------------------

OfflineDroog
Stranger
Re: Using spore prints [Re: TrippinRhino]
    #423786 - 10/12/01 05:18 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

trippin, you are one cool groove. i never asked for spores, or a syringe, but thanks anyway! thats so cool of you.
peace

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate