Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Loc: God's Basement
WBS vs. BRF/Verm (cakes)
    #4210239 - 05/23/05 01:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i just read this tek.. http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/26004
and it seems like a lot of hassle. i'm not one to be detered by time consuming things, but i've done the pftek times before with fine success.

is the wbs really a better substrate than verm/brf? is it that noticable? or is the wbs used primarily because it colonizes faster and it's easier to spawn?

because the casing 101, they just used a cake, and it all seems so easier. in that doc's wbs tek it actually says to add some verm to the bottom of teh casing because the wbs drys out quick.

i think i'm just going to do the pftek again, and case with 50/50 verm/peat casing layer. i've never used a PC either, and with wbs you need one.

i'd like to start the grow before i go on vacation from the 2nd till the 11th, and if the cakes take longer to colonize, that's fine by me - the more time the better in my situation.

so two questions -

1. is there a substantial nutrient difference for the mushrooms with the wbs compared to cakes? or is the wbs just desired mainly for its colonization rate and slight advantage over cakes as far as nutrients?

2. if i leave for 11 days and the cakes fully colonize in the incubator, is it ok if they sit there for a few days until i return and can case them? i'm not sure the rate they will colonize, i think i might just grow out the equador strain.

- thx

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: WBS vs. BRF/Verm (cakes) [Re: Godspeed]
    #4210277 - 05/23/05 01:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

1. In my opinion WBS makes a better spawn than stand alone substrate. Is it a better substrate than BRf?? Hells yes. But if your doing casings i would go for Rye instead of WBS. Although both will work well.

2. 11 Days is VERY fast for BRF, but not impossible. Unless your using something like LC to inoculate. You can get a Quart or Rye to colonise in 7 days no problem. Grains would be a much better choice if your wanting to continue to frow. Horse Poo would be even better.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Loc: God's Basement
Re: WBS vs. BRF/Verm (cakes) [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4210334 - 05/23/05 02:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

well i plan to innculate from a lc, but that'll still take 7-10 days to colonize on brf, right? i'm just wondering because i'm going on vacation and i won't be able to tend to the jars.

it is ok to let them sit for awhile after they are fully colonized, right?

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: WBS vs. BRF/Verm (cakes) [Re: Godspeed]
    #4210482 - 05/23/05 02:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

WBS is used as a " Spawn"(although I like to use it, "as is", also)for 'Bulk' grows-to give you alot of inoculation points-so your 'bulk' substrate will colonise faster.Each grain becomes an inoculation point once it is spawned to straw/poo.
It colonises faster because you can shake the jars and redistribute the grains inside the jar=it colonises way faster-6-10 days.

I use it as a substrate also because it is so much easier for me than having to make all those BRF jars.
Adding Vermiculite to the bottom of your casing ,adds moisture,so your fruits will flush a little longer before they expire their water supply.You are giving them more water-thats all.

WBS is great!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract