Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinephishman
Stranger
Microwave Tek
    #420868 - 10/10/01 02:15 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Well I'm planning on using a microwave for sterilization using BRF and Verm and have read all the posts I could find on the subject. However, I have yet to see any posts of flushes from this tek. I would be very interested to see any pics or any additional info on substrate prep using microwave. Especially, additional amount of water to add.

"Most people are walking in their sleep, turn them around, start them in the opposite direction and they wouldn't even know the difference."

-Captain Alfred M. Hubbard

--------------------
"Most people are walking in their sleep, turn them around, start them in the opposite direction and they wouldn't even know the difference."

-Captain Alfred M. Hubbard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Microwave Tek [Re: phishman]
    #421026 - 10/10/01 04:24 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

From what I understand, carefully controlled microwave sterilization can be about 85% as effective as a good pressure cooking. I would expect to lose a few jars using Microwave or boiling water, as opposed to Pressure cooking which is pretty close to being 100% effective.

As long as you ensure little moisture escapes (not sure how to do that, never used microwave) how you sterilize should have little effect on the outcome.

Dry cakes will completely ruin all your hard work, learned that the hard way by using a heating pad to warm the jars invitro. They were blue even on the inside when birthed, and even dunking them didn't help much. However, casing was the difference between night and day, with even the dryer cakes eventually growing properly after wicking water away from the casing layer.

If you're worried about moisture, I can't recommend casing enough. Want to see shrooms like Ryches? Cakes won't achieve that

Grover

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Loc: Oregon
    #421130 - 10/10/01 05:52 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I have had mild success with microwaving for 5 minutes in disposable glad containers. 

I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!
Be A Millionaire

--------------------
I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Microwave Tek [Re: pyromaniac]
    #421166 - 10/10/01 06:14 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

all i ever use is microwave my jars. ive done 1/2 pint and pint jars, with both BRF/verm substarte and also a mixed substarte of hay cobb/finch seed with 0% contams so far. just started 5 jars of puerto ricans this weekend with substrate of whole brown rice, finch, rye flour, and thistle seed. i think i made them a little moist, they have not germinated yet but still there are zero contams so far. on another note i also use the mic fro sterilizing my 1cc of honey in a shotglass before i add 9cc of water and spores to make myc. syringes from boiled sterile water. never got contams in those either.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflineDroog
Stranger
Re: Microwave Tek [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #421184 - 10/10/01 06:30 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Beppomarx, would you like to explain to me your mic tek? when you put the jars in the microwave, you dont put the lid on obviosly, because its made of metal.. and thats a baad thing.. so what do u use instead? if you wouldnt mind, i would love to see a brief discription of yur tek thats 0% contams so far.. thanks
p[eace

"cus it aint gonna be like you think it is - thats the one thing you can take to the bank."

--------------------
"cus it aint gonna be like you think it is - thats the one thing you can take to the bank."

Offlinehippy_lettuce
enthusiast
Re: Microwave Tek [Re: Droog]
    #422535 - 10/11/01 09:35 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

i was wondering, how long do you put your 1/2 pint jars in the microwave for?

F.B.I. got a file on me, set all drug offenders free...

--------------------
F.B.I. got a file on me, set all drug offenders free...

OfflineLCid
Close ToInsanity.
Loc: Seattle, WA
    #422811 - 10/12/01 01:53 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

the microwave is really effective? ill have to remember that one

OfflineMuShi_KiNg
---------|)
Re: Microwave Tek [Re: LCid]
    #423983 - 10/13/01 08:57 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Can i sterlize my Brf And ver First like in a container Then let it cool then use oven Tek to make the Jar's

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale