Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChemical_TeRRoR
Stranger
What to do if u do not own pressure cooker
    #419799 - 10/09/01 03:37 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I have heard you can boil the jars(pf or MMGG) how long should i boil them? should it be full boil or a little boil? what about evaporation/steam going into jars.
also how much water per jar should i use?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJuanPacoLopez
Re: What to do if u do not own pressure cooker [Re: Chemical_TeRRoR]
    #419808 - 10/09/01 03:49 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

You'll want to boil for AT LEAST 1 hour. I'd recommend an hour and a half or more. As for steam, my wookie covered his jars with plastic baggies and used rubber bands to secure them.

Also, make sure it's a nice slow boil (don't want the jars banging around), and be sure to put something underneath the jars to keep them off the hot pot surface (one of those metal vegetable steamers works great, so does a plain old washcloth).

Invisiblezantac
journeyman
Re: What to do if u do not own pressure cooker [Re: JuanPacoLopez]
    #419818 - 10/09/01 03:59 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I've heard if you boil for more than 1 hour you will destroy all the nutrients.

--------------------
I SUPPORT THE BOYCOTT OF DR. BLUETHUMBS OLD SCHOOL TOADSTOOLS 100%

Offlineyogithehoneybear
    #419884 - 10/09/01 05:02 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

your best bet is to come up with the money and buy one if you are planning on growing for some time.
you can get one made by presto at walmart type stores. i think they are about $55. they fit quart jars (i think 3) and 10 1/2 jars.

the pressure cooker will eliminate many sorrows. also if you use it properly and still get contaimination you'll be able to pin point how it got there better.

" i got a beard like a billy goat...oohy....oohy!"

--------------------
"if ya got bad breath maybe try scope and if ya wash your ass you best use soap" - Mike D.

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: What to do if u do not own pressure cooker [Re: zantac]
    #420002 - 10/09/01 06:40 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

>>>I've heard if you boil for more than 1 hour you will destroy all the nutrients.

not true in the least bit. im not insulting your ideas but boil those jars till theres no water left in the pan and it will not kill any nutrients.

on the posters note, if you dont have a PC just microwave your jars w/o the lids and cap them as soon as you take them out. read current posts i just explained my mic. tek

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Invisiblezantac
journeyman
Re: What to do if u do not own pressure cooker [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #420048 - 10/09/01 07:14 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Actually, it wasn't MY idea. Quoting from the Shroomwizard website FAQs about lack of colonizing after BOILING: "You possibly "overcooked" your substrate jars when you where sterilizing them. This is a common problem with first time growers and there is no way to correct it except to dump it and start over.What happens is some people think they can cook their jars for a longer period of time (they reccomend 30min) just to be sure they killed all of the contaminates in them, when in all reality they cooked the vitamins,minerals and nutrients out of the substrate and the mycelium has run out of food it needs to thrive on."

--------------------

Invisiblezantac
journeyman
    #420083 - 10/09/01 07:45 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

www.shroomwizard.com

--------------------

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #420111 - 10/09/01 08:01 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

check in thrift stores. they usually have one for little$.

Invisiblezantac
journeyman
Re: What to do if u do not own pressure cooker [Re: tchyted]
    #420539 - 10/10/01 08:06 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hmmm.

--------------------

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #420639 - 10/10/01 10:33 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

zantac- yes i realize this and i apologize for making it sound like that. when i posted that i was about on my way out of here at work and i was just in a hurry and didnt explain myself properly. that is also why i did not explain mi microwave tek also, but basically you take your jars and stick them in the microwave for 5 min incraments until theyre steaming hot. i believe this works quite well, i never have any problems with it, except when i was first starting this tek, i tended to cook an amount the moisture from the cakes and had to add some after a few weeks of slow Mycellium growth. just prepare the substrate fairly moist, not wet; and nuke 'em. cover the jars as soon as you open the door with the lids, i prefer to seal with full lids until they cool. the lids then are suctioned to the jar quite well and are under a good deal of negative pressure. not sure if that part is necessary or even helps, but thats how i do it with zero contams so far using this method. on another note my boiled jars (approx 120 min for quart jars) always seem to get a little contam in them near the end with about 75% success in boiling. needless to say i stopped boiling in lieu of my mic. 100% (so far) sure beats the ~75% that i got with boiling.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order