Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Oregon Flag
vegans
    #4154301 - 05/09/05 05:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

how many of you are vegan?

i recently converted to vegetarianism and am thinking about going vegan sometime soon. there is a large amount of convincing arguments on why to, other than the fact that i don't want to support the torture of any animals. vegans have a much lower blood pressure than vegitarians, and much much lower than meat eaters. a lot of doctors say the main carcinogen leading to cancer is one that is often found in milk and eggs, and of course meat.

a plant based diet is likely to fully eliminate the chance of getting heart disease, unless it is hereditary, of course. and even if it is, veganism will help very much. heart disease is the number one cause of death in america.

anywho, who else is interested in this? there's a really cool store in portland, oregon called Food Fight, you can get pretty much anything there and it's all vegan. portland is like the vegan capital of the world.. anybody been to the Paradox Cafe? wonderful vegan food.

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: vegans [Re: fung_us_among_us]
    #4154388 - 05/09/05 05:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

a lot of doctors say the main carcinogen leading to cancer is one that is often found in milk and eggs, and of course meat.

what is it called?
Quote:

a plant based diet is likely to fully eliminate the chance of getting heart disease, unless it is hereditary, of course. and even if it is, veganism will help very much. heart disease is the number one cause of death in america.

What about smoking?

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #4154630 - 05/09/05 06:48 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

the vegans i know are not healthy people, they are always very sleepy too.

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Re: vegans [Re: faslimy]
    #4154892 - 05/09/05 08:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

all the vegans i know have tons of energy.

you get more energy off carbohydrates and vitamins, both of which found in larger amounts in plants than in other animals, than you do protiens or anything that is exclusive to animal products.

daussaulit- the protien that is carcinogenic and primarily found in cow milk is called casein. it's in tons of other foods we eat too, but not naturally.

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

OfflineniCCa
BwaBwaHan
Loc: Earth temporarily
    #4155323 - 05/09/05 10:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

respect you

--------------------
Heaveno...CU CU CU CU CU in the Highway...Peace

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Re: vegans [Re: niCCa]
    #4155567 - 05/09/05 11:30 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you best

--------------------

Edited by boO (06/14/05 03:28 PM)

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4171659 - 05/13/05 04:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'm a level 5 vegan, I don't eat anythign that casts a shadow.  :wink:

I was a vegetarian for about 9 months, but I got bored and went back to meat because it just taste so damn good :laugh:

If you make the leap to going vegan then bravo man, it's hard to live that way after all those years of just eating anything, good luck with your diet!

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Invisiblemuistrue
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: Behind the Redwoods
    #4172371 - 05/13/05 07:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I've been a strict vegan for the last 8 years. They have been the most healthy and productive years of my life so far. I have plenty of energy and would recommend it to anyone.

One thing I don't like is when vegans force their beliefs onto other people and put them down because they eat meat. When I first became vegan I would go picket the circus and certain department stores but when the group became violent and harassing people I stopped being active. Do what you believe in and let others do the same. :sun:

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: vegans [Re: muistrue]
    #4172493 - 05/13/05 07:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

There are tons of changes to your lifestyle that would equate to living a healthier life than going vegetarian. Going vegetarian isn't the healthiest thing to do unless you have a very good grasp on nutrition... I mean a lot and not just reading the latest vegan cookbook.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Re: vegans [Re: looner2]
    #4173646 - 05/14/05 04:12 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

this is a common misconception in the world of nutrition.

humans do not need to eat meat to be healthy.

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#4174793 - 05/14/05 01:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

is it possible to be a healthy vegan without eating supplements(IE vitamins) and fortified and enriched foods?

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4175611 - 05/14/05 05:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

this is a common misconception in the world of nutrition.

humans do not need to eat meat to be healthy.

Like I said, unless you really understand nutrition not eating meat for "health" reasons is ridiculous.

Humans need the protein, nutrients, and vitamins provided by meat, which can be difficult to obtain otherwise.

--------------------

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
    #4175798 - 05/14/05 06:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

He didn't say they did..
Quote:

looner2 said:
Going vegetarian isn't the healthiest thing to do unless you have a very good grasp on nutrition...

Just make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need to stay healthy. :smile:

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: vegans [Re: TinTree]
    #4176189 - 05/14/05 08:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I like Vegans, their meat is nice and tender.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4184332 - 05/16/05 09:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'm all for vegans, if you can pull it off. I just get annoyed at people who are lesser vegetarians like lacto-ovo and the like. If your going to eat meat, eat it. If not, don't. I also get annoyed at so called vegetarians who chose not to eat meat for moral reasons yet feel no pity or shame about buying leather goods or using styrofoam. Personally I like meat, but like everything else it should be eaten in moderation along with plenty of other things like fruits, veggies and the like. We are a country of meat addicts which is the main problem of our overall poor health, that along with a predominantly sedentary lifestyle and reliance on quick fix alternatives.

A good way to stay fit and get energy is to utilize a vegetable juicer. They're also great in the kitchen to make naturally flavorful and healthy sauces, salad dressings, whatever you can come up with.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: vegans [Re: soochi]
    #4192568 - 05/18/05 07:07 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The reason we have overall poor health is because we are meat addicts? Sorry, try sweets and carbohydrate addicts.

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4193066 - 05/18/05 09:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

This country consumes the most meat. We don't balance that meat eating with enough frutis and veggies and have no concept of portion control, if you want the true cause of this countries sickening love for obesity go to a Cheesecake Factory. Personally I think it's our overall low standard when it comes to the quality of our food, and the fact that we don't appreciate food like other countries do. If you want proof go to France. There, I don't have to be rich and shop at Whole Foods to eat healthy, ordinary grocery stores over there blow away Whole foods both in availability, freshness and most importatantly, price. People here look at a whole Red snapper and go ewwww! while a French person would be elated at the freshness and the possiblilites of dinner that night. Europeans in general are no strangers to sweets or carbs, for the love of god look at the pastries, breads and candies in Europe, yet they rank among the lowest in heart disease, obesity and diabetes.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: vegans [Re: soochi]
    #4196990 - 05/19/05 06:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

its all about self control and moderation. You go to a restaurant and order a plate from a chain restaurant, that plate contains way more than 1 serving, yet people have an urge to finish it. Americans are all about the quantity over quality, until you get to the higher end restaurants.

OfflineRainbowDrops
Technicolormindsets &prismed sweatbeads
Female

Loc: Florida
Re: vegans [Re: daussaulit]
    #4215543 - 05/24/05 06:02 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Just make sure you get your B-vitamins.  :pill:

--------------------
mmmm, spacecake

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4237240 - 05/30/05 03:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Good luck, hope you can pull it off! It is my end goal to be a vegan with my diet, but I am doing this very gradually. I grew up in a family of hard-core meateaters. I started to cut out beef and chicken from my diet after I moved out and changed my lifestyle. Now I'm down to just eating ground turkey in casseroles a few times a week. Even that is losing it's appeal, just because I get a little squeamish having to touch raw meat to cook it.

The biggest problem I foresee with myself becoming vegan is that I do not like the majority of vegetables. They were never served in our household as a kid and I never developed a taste for them. So I've started trying to acclimate myself to vegetables in my later life. Basically, I'm just trying to develop a sensible diet that is healthy and that I can feel good about. It helps that my husband is taking nuitrition classes at college, he knows all about this sort of thing and has been helping. (though I doubt will ever give up meat)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder