Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
How to legalize marijuana in 10 years.
    #4151003 - 05/08/05 06:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I was thinking in the shower about marijuana legalization efforts.  This plan came to me.  This is the first, eureka draft.  It's rougher then sandpaper though.  A lot of stuff I have cites for from various things through the years.  Help me revise this manifesto.  It could work.  :evil:

Combining dramatic, organized, large scale campaigns of civil disobedience toward technical aspects of minor drug laws, combined with a coming out movement towards marijuana smoking, is the only way legalization will ever happen.  By targeting these campaigns at law enforcement agencies, we can make the government pay higher costs for these laws while raising awareness of the absurdity of these laws.

Here is what needs to happen.  We need to recognize that marijuana legalization efforts are nowhere near close to succesful.  Rather then complain that the DEA releases inaccurate facts, we need to recognize some facts of our own. 

The reason the war on drugs persists is (at least) threefold fold.

First, despite some efforts, drug users are mostly anonymous.  Most people with family members who are drug users are not aware that their family members are drug users.  We can learn from the gay rights movement that societal stigma falls into two catagories.  The first are stigmas you wear on your sleeve, so to speak.  Being black or fat or parkinsons disease are examples of this.  The second catagory of societal stigma is stigma that is hidden.  Being gay, into BDSM, or a marijuana smoker are examples of this second kind of stigma.

The gay movement was able to gain momentum from the recognition of two facts.  First, everyone knows someone who is gay.  Second, it is harder to maintain societal stigma against people who visibly manifest it.  This resulted in the coming out movement.  The idea behind this was that if everyone who was gay was openly visible, it would be harder to maintain the stigma. 

People are biologically made so that they divide things into two exhaustive catagories.  "us" and "them" are one such common catagory.  Coming out provided an oppritunity to challenge 'us' vs 'them mentalities.  If your kid or parent was gay, this sort of thinking falls away.  The gay rights movement hoped (and were proven right) that challenging this thinking would cause some of the negative consequences of this thinking to fall away.  Thus in X (around 10, need cite) years, the percentage of people in favor of gay rights has increased a lot.

I would propose that drug reformers take note of this.  However, stigma is not the only problem with drug use, because unjust laws are involved. 

In order to deal with unjust laws, drug users need to take oppritunities to highlight the absurdities of the drug laws.  This requires the willingness to suffer to overturn those laws.  Here is the plan.  Orginatizations of 200-300 people would converge on police stations during times when the police force was already stretched thin.  I think the perfect time would be big drinking holidays, since this would illustrate another absurdity in the drug war.  The people would include many soldiers, lawyers, doctors, reporters, journalists, and organizers.  These people would converge outside of a police station, enter it 1 at a time, committing some technical violation of the drug law, then refuse to cooperate with the police.  Each person would walk into the police station, approach the desk, and turn one hand face up with a small piece of bud in it.  The police station would not be equipped to handle this, and would be forced into a situation where any choice it makes hurts its position.  If they arrested everybody, everyone would demand a speedy jury trial, clogging the courts.  If they let people get off and chose to stop processing them, then everyone outside would start smoking.  A group of lawyers would help make sure everything is optimal to jam up the system as much as possible, and to see to everyones civil rights.  Others could broadcast the event live to catch any police misconduct, and document things for the series of jury trials.  Doctors would inspect the ground forces for medical injuries, so that any police beatings behind closed doors would be documented.  The organizers would make sure everyone stayed peaceful.

As the movement grew, other oppritunities were around.  I have this vision in my head of some enlightened band (maybe Tool) having a concert in the middle of LA where they get word out to all their fans to bring a single joint, light up at the same time, and use the media to highlight the fact that the police let this act slide, or use the media to highlight the fact that the police arrested a stadium full of people for each having 1 joint.  Each of these people would of course need to demand a speedy jury trial. 

The ground soldiers in this would need some training.  They would have to be willing to suffer, to go to jail, face police brutality, etc.  I think it might help clog the system for them all to be poor enough to require public defenders as well.  They would need to be united, so that they all acted as one unit for change. 

This would introduce an economic motivation as well.  Our attitude will be "if you want to keep these drug laws on the books, you are going to have to pay for a jury trial for every single person you prosecute under those laws, your police stations will be under constant scrutiny for misconduct, and your jails will be clogged."  If this movement were able to develop some persistance, there would be economic pressure to stop wasting money on prosecuting these offenses.

When this civil disobedience is combined with a marijuana coming out movement, everyone in america will be in this position:  "I have loved ones who are marijuana users, and I don't really want to pay for them to have jury trials for minor violations of drug laws, so lets take these laws off the books."  As long as americans think they are unaffected by the war on drugs, they will support it.

Combining dramatic, organized, large scale campaigns of civil disobedience toward technical aspects of minor drug laws, combined with a coming out movement towards marijuana smoking, is the only way legalization will ever happen.  By targeting these campaigns at law enforcement agencies, we can make the government pay higher costs for these laws while raising awareness of the absurdity of these laws.

When this civil disobedience is combined with a marijuana coming out movement, everyone in america will be in this position:  "I have loved ones who are marijuana users, and I don't really want to pay for them to have jury trials for minor violations of drug laws, so lets take these laws off the books."  As long as americans think they are unaffected by the war on drugs, they will support it.

Whaddya think?

Oops, I accidently put the last 2 paragraphs as the first one instead of just the last one like you are supposed to.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Edited by tomk (05/08/05 07:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: How to legalize marijuana in 10 years. [Re: tomk]
    #4151034 - 05/08/05 07:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I stopped reading when I got to the part about people ganging up on the police and fucking with them. The police are not the issue. Neither is the legal system, or even the government. Being jerks is not going to help any movement.

The issue is that so many drug users are already jerks. Straight people believe the majority of drug users are less productive members of society than straight people and as a drug user myself I will confirm that yes, that has been my experience as well as all those straight people who feel that way. There are a few areas where being a pot smoker is actually an advantage but it's really confined to just arts and entertainment. Everywhere else more often than not it seems to increase laziness, apathy, hedonism... just overall, of course there are plenty of exceptions, but I think that's the general rule. And pot's the 'best' drug. It gets much much worse for all the others like meth, coke, heroine, etc.. so basically what I'm trying to say is that drug users (starting with me, you, etc.) either need to step up and be as good or better than straight people in all areas of society or else just deal with the stigma they get for their daily burst of chemical pleasure. Smart drug users never get in trouble for it anyway. You can always take precautions. Just my humble opinion, flame away

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: How to legalize marijuana in 10 years. [Re: question_for_joo]
    #4151051 - 05/08/05 07:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

No. Our attitude towards the police would not be "Watch us fuck with you." It would be "We realize police have a valuable role to play in society. We hope you agree it's ridiculous for you to have to enforce these laws. However, we are no longer going to hide from society, and we are not going to hide from the consequences of our actions. So, since we choose to break these laws, we have to report it to you. Hopefully you will agree enforcing them on us is stupid, so that we can get them off the books, our friends in jail for pot offenses can go free, our elderly loved ones will no longer have to deal with huge pharmeceutical companies who want to use drug laws to profit from the benefits of medicinal drug use, and we can enjoy a joint on our porch without fear."

Any sign of anger towards the police is misplaced.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Offlinenightfall
Stranger
    #4151062 - 05/08/05 07:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Do we have a duty to be productive for society's sake?

#4151078 - 05/08/05 07:37 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well I'm glad to hear you don't want to direct hostility against the police. I still believe though that it's not the right approach to getting MJ legalized.

I think the activist community is on the right track now... little victories through the democratic process. Referendums are cropping up multiple times a year now it seems. In Alaska, in Texas, in Nevada.... first through the absolute least dangerous steps like medical marijuana, next through changing the attitude to helping abusers from criminal proceedings to medical proceedings, or whatever they do in Europe. I'm not an expert. I just think it's a gradual change of the mainstream attitude and I think it's coming along slowly but surely.

--------------------

Re: How to legalize marijuana in 10 years. [Re: nightfall]
    #4151094 - 05/08/05 07:44 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't mean productive in the capitalist/fascist pig sense.  Helping some company maximize its profits or whatever.  I just mean on average doing the things which everyone seems to agree on.  Not vegging out in front of the tube too long.  Treating family members with respect.  Not operating a motor vehicle while impaired.  Especially doing the environmentally friendly things which are going to become more important in the years ahead: Recycling, having a compost bin, turning off the heat when you go out for more than an hour.  Just being a decent person. 

All too often however I see drug use acting as a replacement for something else which a person should be doing.  Filling a hole with chemical pleasure.  I mean, pots got a definite spiritual side to it, so it can balance out some virtue that it might be replacing.. but I've seen it's a minority of stoners who really get into the whole bettering oneself side of it.  Mushrooms always seem to help people.  Meth always seems to hurt people.  Maybe the solution is to first legalize mushrooms.      :crazy2: :lol:  :yawn:  It's almost my bedtime. In my mind I'm just coming back to the thing I always come to which is I gotta try harder.

--------------------

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #4151118 - 05/08/05 07:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yes, propositions and little victories are the way to go. Once a decriminalization and/or legalization proposition passes, MJ legalization will come quickly. Even the most hard-assed federal administration won't be able to continually deny states' rights. I don't think decriminalization will ever happen on a federal level. Eventually its sales will be tolerated (much like in Amsterdam) I think.

What the activist community needs is money, not overcomplex ideas that will likely be counterproductive. MJ legalization movement is so underfunded compared to the government propaganda that it fights. If it can get out info on the vast amount of money that would be saved from legalization that will eventually be the selling point that will get non-smokers to vote legalize. Not talk about facts, logic, or freedom. Otherwise it would have been legalized years ago.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Edited by DirtMcgirt (05/08/05 07:53 PM)

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: How to legalize marijuana in 10 years. [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #4151123 - 05/08/05 07:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

It sounds like you're saying "Let's all throw ourselves at the legal system at once and hope that it can't cope with us"

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: How to legalize marijuana in 10 years. [Re: blink]
    #4151156 - 05/08/05 07:58 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

No.

I'm saying "Let's all focus on throwing ourselves at a very specific cornerstone of the drug war and watch the whole thing come down on us at once."

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4151470 - 05/08/05 09:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

In Europe and Canada, people would march to the police stations in throngs smoking joints and demanding to be arrested. The cops couldn't deal with it all.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #4151527 - 05/08/05 09:27 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

one problem i can see is that the civil disobedience is no longer civil..owing to the 2003 RAVE act...this raises the question as to why ppl waited until it was too late...we had decades to speak out before that right was revoked..but now its too late...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: How to legalize marijuana in 10 years. [Re: SoopaX]
    #4151538 - 05/08/05 09:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup:

Thats what I'm talking about.  Peaceful civil disobedience changes peoples minds fast.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: How to legalize marijuana in 10 years. [Re: SoopaX]
    #4152082 - 05/08/05 11:48 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SoopaX said:
In Europe and Canada, people would march to the police stations in throngs smoking joints and demanding to be arrested. The cops couldn't deal with it all.

Exactly. If anyone ever organizes something like this in Atlanta let me know. I don't smoke pot anymore, but I would be glad to light one up if it helps to change things.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: How to legalize marijuana in 10 years. [Re: z@z.com]
    #4154091 - 05/09/05 04:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thats the problem. It needs to be a sustained effort, there every day, not just a one day thing. We need hundreds of people willing to continually do this. We need people that, when they get outta jail, will go right back to the police station in an organized group and recommit the same minor offense, until the laws change. If 10,000 people in a few mid size towns were to commit to a course of action like this, drug laws would change fast. They just can't deal with it all.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Loc: Texas
    #4162670 - 05/11/05 04:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I believe we need marijuana marches, but just simply saying this is what we need to do is not going to get it done. The best way you can contribute to this effort is to donate to reform organizations.

The war on marijuana is already slowly coming to an end. In 1986 20% of the U.S. favored legalizing marijuana for adults, in 2002 the number doubled to 40%. In Alaska, 44% voted in favor of legalizing marijuana for adults. This was the highest % recorded in any state to end marijuana prohibition.

If you want to help with the effort, ideas like this are great, but until NORML, MPP, and the DPA have the funds, you can label things like this as a pipe dream.

It is also extremely hard to get people to come out and get arrested over pot with the stigma attached to your record and the loss of financial aid to students. Many of these goals are unrealistic.

Edit: Also, I realize how it is in Canada, but rest assured United States law enforcement would come down alot harder than the Canadian police force.

Edited by Lothar121 (05/11/05 04:12 PM)

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: How to legalize marijuana in 10 years. [Re: Lothar121]
    #4164091 - 05/11/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

But I can't donate because I need to spend all my money on pot because it is illegal. 

:lol: Ohh, the irony, :rotfl:

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4164545 - 05/11/05 11:22 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Here's my plan: For 3 years every drug user in the United States should just not get caught. That would put the DEA out of business.

Also, all the potheads should get real educated and make alot of money.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom