Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Think I am getting enough air exchange?
    #4138179 - 05/05/05 02:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, I have my 5 shelf indoor greenhouse up and running.  After reading through many teks on supplying humidity and air exchange to such a setup, I went ahead and made my own design lol.  My plan was to try to keep it as simple as possible, as little harm to the greenhouse as possible(i.e. cutting, taping), and nice clean dry bottom setup.  So I made a simple box with 4 2"x4"s and a piece of plywood.  I covered with painters plastic and dropped my greenhouse down into it.  I folded the excess plastic from the greenhouse under the bottom of the legs so that the greenhouse is resting on the excess, then resting on the painters plastic, then nestled in the 2"x4" box.  The box goes about 2 inches over the bottom shelf, so it can hold a lot of water.  Since I don't like standing water so much lol, I put 2 inches of perlite in the box, with 2 14" bubble stones in an inch of water.  I then cut a single 1" opening in the greenhouse, a few inches above the bottom shelf, on the side.  Through that hole, I am running my coolmist power cord, and 4 air hoses.  I taped that up as well as I could to seal it.  I have found that if the coolmist is actually inside the greenhouse, it provides incredible amounts of humidity.  I have it on a timer for 30 mins on every 3hrs atm.  2 of my air hoses run to 5" bubble stones which I actually have sitting inside my coolmist :smile:  So here is what I have for air exchange:  2 14" bubble stones, 2 5" bubble stones, running off of 2 20-60gallon pumps.  I also fan 2-3 times.  Do you think this is enough air exchange??  My casings are looking good, but I am wondering abit since I went my own way with my greenhouse.  I like that I only had to make a single hole in my greenhouse and that I am only using a single coolmist, but I have no problems changing it.  Also, I realize that I will probably have to replace my coolmist every 3months by running it inside, thats ok.  I have been considering putting a 10"x10" tyvek 'patch' at the top for more air exchange.  Think that would be necessary? or is my air exchange sufficient?

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Think I am getting enough air exchange? [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #4138266 - 05/05/05 02:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'm confused by that long paragraph exactly what to picture..pictures would help. Where do you have the air inputs at? Can you feel a breeze if you put your face next to them? You should be able to.

Tyvek wont to anything for air exchange. It allows gasses building up to be released in jars, but myc thrives in co2 rich environments, the tyvek still holds back everything thats not excess. Gas exchange isnt the same as fresh air exchange.

All in all it wounded like you only have 1 air pump with 2 wands pumping into the chamber from outside...the cool mistist is inside and the other air wands go into the cool mist, so I dont think thats giving you much fresh air...its probably just pressurizing the cool mist and burning out the airpump..if its in the water tank anyway. Like I said though, I'm confused about what I'm picturing.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Re: Think I am getting enough air exchange? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4138445 - 05/05/05 03:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry I still don't have a camera lol. I have a total of 4 air hoses going into the greenhouse, from 2 air pumps. Each air pump is rated at 20-60gallon and has 2 outputs. One pump is running to 2 14" bubble stones which is under the perlite under the bottom shelf. The other pump is running to 2 5" bubble stones which are inside the coolmist. Since the coolmist is sitting inside the greenhouse, it is not suppling fresh air. The bubble stones inside it are supplying fresh air though. A very minimal air movement is noticed outside the coolmist when only the bubble stones are on. The air movement is more noticeable from the bottom bubble stones under perlite due to them being bigger. So for fresh air, I have 4 hoses from 2 pumps as described, and I fan 2-3 times a day. Think that's enough? I have mad respect for you Scat lol, sorry I confused you, but thanks for the reply.

Also, your reply made me realize I may misunderstand how tyvek works. I was under the assumption that it was '2-way' as far as air movement was concerned. You make it sound more like '1-way' that only allows the excess to escape, sorta like maintaining pressure.

--------------------

OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
    #4138731 - 05/05/05 04:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i think i'm gonna sound like scat here lol, but if you just put the coolmist outside the tent you won't have to worry about enough freshair. but my guess is your fine, and if you still have doubts just aim those hoses at your casings, provided they don't soak it

and tyvek material is so interwoven there really isn't much thats gonna go through it either way

good work though, get some pics up when you harvest

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Re: Think I am getting enough air exchange? [Re: SoK]
    #4139289 - 05/05/05 07:16 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I hope to get a camera this month, so I can put pictures in when I ask questions. I think I will do a little experimenting this week with unzipping my flap and seeing how it maintains humidity and if I experience issues with contamination. I would think an unzipped flap in addition to my existing sources of fresh air would be more than sufficient.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4140317 - 05/05/05 11:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

>I have mad respect for you Scat lol, sorry I confused you, but thanks for the reply.

Thanks :smile: It was the bud I was smoking earlier, packed into the gravity bong...I just couldnt follow the paragraph :smile: It sounds, like your ok...not 100% optimal, but probably 90%, as far as air exchange...good enough.

>You make it sound more like '1-way' that only allows the excess to escape, sorta like maintaining pressure.

Correct :smile: Trying to blow through it should demonstrate that to you. Holes wont give you more air exchange though, it will excape out all the cracks forces air out of them slowly and making it hard for contams to get in. Only way to increase air exchange is increase air input...output is almost never restricted as much as input...if it is, you'll notice the closet puffing.

Makeing holes and unzipping it, instead of increasing air exchange, will better allow moisture to escape with the air...drying it out more. Open holes can be effective for dropping the humidity once pins form, but that takes some construction and testing..then stuff with polyfil for pinning to raise humidity and not allow it to excape with air.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Re: Think I am getting enough air exchange? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4142585 - 05/06/05 01:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

This is just my first 2 weeks using this greenhouse, so I am doing a lot of changing and monitoring atm.  Through the first week, I noticed that the humidity tended to rise, and only that shelf and above seemed properly humidified.  There was actually a cut off on the plastic where the condensation stopped.  So over the course of the next 4 days, I eventually lowered the coolmist to the bottom shelf, and now it is doing a crazy job of humidifying.  I actually had to reduce my 'on' time on my timer.  The entire greenhouse is humidified now it seems, but now all 4 of my 'input' air hoses are on or near the bottom shelf.  I plan to take the 2 hoses out of the humidifier and work on rigging each shelf with its own hose.  I am just gonna take a needle and 30 mins and poke a good set of holes through about 20feet of tubing lol, and rig up some sort of air loops that can blow on my casings.  Then I might be able to up my humidity time a bit.  I am not sure if I want to suspend the loops from a shelf, or sort of lay them around the edges of my casings.  It's a work in progress, so I will probably try both hehe.  I do need to get it working somewhat soon though, I need to get another one set up for my colonizing wbs in my incubator lol.  How I have it set up at the moment, it holds 12 square feet of surface fruiting area :smile:  I also have 12 square feet of PmPs running atm with my first casing runs.  So with a 2nd greenhouse, I could be up to 36 square feet of fruiting area by the end of the month.  Thanks to all who helped like Scat.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom