Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

popcorn jars too full?!?!
    #4096324 - 04/25/05 05:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I just did some qt. popcorn jars. I just used roadkills method of 3:1 grain to water. Well i put 3 cups grain and 1 cup water. The popcorn swelled so much during PC'ing that it filled up the jars so there's only about 1/2 inch space at the top. They barely shake. It worked quite well except the top kernals didn't get much water since the others all absorbed it all. I was wondering if it is ok to get in a really sterile place and open them up and dump some of the kernals out? I was thinking of getting it my shower, shutting the door, turning on the vent, and soaking the air in OUST air sanitizer, and dumping the kernals while in there. That should be pretty contam free for the couple seconds i have each lid off.

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpencyspence28
Texan CubeFarmer
Loc: Tx.
Re: popcorn jars too full?!?! [Re: jtk]
    #4096331 - 04/25/05 05:34 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds right.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #4096435 - 04/25/05 06:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

u could do it if u were using a glove box or flow hood preferably a flow hood

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: popcorn jars too full?!?! [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4096438 - 04/25/05 06:13 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

so the shower/vent/OUST wont work?

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4096446 - 04/25/05 06:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

it might work but i personally wouldnt risk it, if i were to do that i would pressure cook for at least another 10-30 minutes after doing it which probably wouldnt damage the water content too much

--------------------
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
    #4096496 - 04/25/05 06:26 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

it might work but i personally wouldnt risk it, if i were to do that i would pressure cook for at least another 10-30 minutes after doing it which probably wouldnt damage the water content too much

Yeah its a risk to open the jars and trying to take stuff out. Its different if your just tossing stuff inside.

Its just corn and water - try it again with 1/2-3/4 cup less corn (maybe tad less water to compensate)?

You don't want to load up some bad jars, its just a waste of your time when it costs about .25 to make one. Yeah, I know, its kinda a bitch making up qt grain jars, but two hours time will make sure in two weeks your jars are done.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: popcorn jars too full?!?! [Re: Civ]
    #4097469 - 04/25/05 10:15 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I think i may try it on a least a couple of the jars. I'll just slide the lid open enough to dump some of the kernals out, then slide it back into place and screw the ring on. I really don't think there will be contams entering if i do it that way. I have like 10 ounces of GT liquid culture, and a couple other syringes. If it fucks up ill just start over w/ some more LC.

Will they still colonize, even being that full? I colonize my jars at 70 so being that full and not really shakebale may really slow things up for me.

--------------------

Edited by jtk (04/25/05 10:53 PM)

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #4097636 - 04/25/05 10:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

3 cups seed to one cup water is what we use in 1/2 gallon jars, quarts need like 1 cups seed 1/3 cup water

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlinebixo
Dremel Addict
 User Gallery

Loc: The Autobahn
Re: popcorn jars too full?!?! [Re: tahoe]
    #4097648 - 04/25/05 11:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I dont think you'll have a problem, I've had many a jar packed to the top that turned out fine.

Edited by bixo (04/25/05 11:04 PM)

Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: popcorn jars too full?!?! [Re: bixo]
    #4099460 - 04/26/05 03:09 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

what if i dumped some kernals out of them, and let them set another 3-5 days to make sure there was no contam. Then inoculated them?

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4099640 - 04/26/05 04:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

thats something u should do anyway if ure gonna do this, but i guess ure methods sound sterile enough just be generous with the lysol. ive had luck doing such things like making a spore syringe with no glovebox or flow hood so it might work out

--------------------

Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4099661 - 04/26/05 04:17 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

maybe it would help if i actually took a hot shower right before, without the fan on. This might saturate all the contam molecules with steam and keep them from floating around. I'm thinking take a shower, turn the fan on, soak with lysol/oust, slide lids open, dump about 2 inches of popcorn out, and slide shut all kind of in one motion.

Im going to give it a try tomorrow.

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4099695 - 04/26/05 04:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

good luck

--------------------

Offlinevile
Stranger
    #4099852 - 04/26/05 05:24 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

best thing to do would be to dump out some seeds then pressure cook again, if possible. If the jars need a little bit of water put a few mL in and the pop them into the pressure cooker.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures