Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKaydren
Mystic Hunter
 User Gallery
More Casing ?'s
    #4067920 - 04/18/05 05:00 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Using the search button, so dont yell at me! >_<

All the peat casing teks call for different pH buffers.  Some say Horicultural Hydrated Lime, some say Calcium Carbonate, some say Oyster shell, and some say combinations of the 3... So Im asking, for a Sphagnum Peat Moss pH buffer, which would be better? Calcium Carbonate, Hydrated Lime, Crushed Oyster Shell, or does it have to be a combo of all 3?

---Thx Shroom gurus! :laugh:

--------------------
----I excel in not giving a shit...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelonebuddha
whats it allabout?
Re: More Casing ?'s [Re: Kaydren]
    #4067943 - 04/18/05 05:35 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

oyster shells is a source of calcium carbonate. you have a long term buffer and a short term buffer. hydrated lime is the short term buffer. It adjusts the ph of the casing immediately. over time though mycelium creates waste that lowers the ph of your casing this is where a long term buffer like calcium carbonate or oyster shells come in to play. I'd go with hydrated lime and one of the long term buffers, which ever one you find first. If its oyster shells, it would be best if its powdered. when adding lime it would be best to have some way to test the ph of the casing. If I'm not mistaken 7.5 is optimal.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: More Casing ?'s [Re: lonebuddha]
    #4067951 - 04/18/05 05:40 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Chances are you don't even need a buffer for your sphagnum, if it is good canadian sphag the pH will already be 7 which is optimal.

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Loc: Reject the concept of loc...
Re: More Casing ?'s [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4067985 - 04/18/05 06:17 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

what about ordinary bakingpowder? would that work?

--------------------
Mindzpores words of wisdom:
"If you think something is foolproof, you just haven't met proper fools".

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: More Casing ?'s [Re: Mindzpore]
    #4068617 - 04/18/05 12:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mindzpore said:
what about ordinary bakingpowder? would that work?

that actually isnt a bad question. id like to know the same.

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Re: More Casing ?'s [Re: FleaAccela]
    #4071640 - 04/19/05 06:06 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

bump.

--------------------

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: More Casing ?'s [Re: Kaydren]
    #4071644 - 04/19/05 06:10 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Casing material pH & why it is important.

"pH", is a measure to describe the acidity of a medium. pH 7 is neutral; higher means alkaline, lower acidic.

Peat is a major constituent of preferred casing mixes. The pH of peat is variable, dependent on the source it came from. Meaning, the pH of peat differs from various sources.

The preferred pH range of a casing mixture is 6.5 to 8. 7.5 is optimal. Peat is acidic. Consequently, to achieve an optimal pH range of a casing mix, the pH of the casing mixture must be adjusted accordingly (within the range of 6.5 to 8).

The pH of the casing must be within certain limits to support strong mycelial growth. An overly acidic or alkaline casing mixture will depress mycelial growth and supports unwanted competitors.

It is generally easier to make casing materials more alkaline (i.e., increasing the pH) than it is to make them more acid (i.e., reducing the pH).

A movement of 0.5 is easy but, because the pH scale is logarithmic, a movement on the order of, 2.0 points becomes more difficult because there is a factor of 10x between each full point, so pH 5.0 is actually 100 times more acid than pH 7.0.

There are several common types of lime available for use, though care should be exercised with all of the products. Lime is caustic and a skin and eye irritant and can be dangerous if misused. If you choose to use such products, carefully read and follow all manufacturer directions exactly. The major types of lime products include:

Hydrated Lime: fast acting, but not long lasting. It is very effective to produce a fast change in pH level. It is also the "strongest" form of lime generally available, and you must follow all manufacturer precautions, since your skin and eyes can be easily irritated or burned if the product is misused.

Ground Limestone: a naturally occurring type of limestone that has been ground to a fine powder. How quickly it will act to modify pH and how long it will persist depends on how finely it was ground.

Generally, ground limestone is weaker than hydrated lime, needing about 30% more to raise the pH by the same amount. It has the advantage, however, of usually being significantly cheaper than the hydrated lime, and usually works more slowly and lasts much longer.

Mixed Lime: usually sold under a brand name. Most brands contain a variety of particle sizes to provide some immediate benefits, as well as a longer persistence. (this is often referred to as "time released" lime).

pH gradually falls to less than optimal by the end of cropping due to acids secreted by the mushroom mycelium. Consequently, a long lasting buffering agent is preferable.

If you wish to achieve optimal results, when adjusting pH? It is highly advisable to use litmus strips (with color chart), or acquire a pH test probe (available at most garden supply stores, under $20) to accurately test, and adjust the pH of your casing mix, prior to application.

Doing all other cultivation steps properly. Then, applying a casing mixture outside the proper pH range, most often creates poor cropping results.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: More Casing ?'s [Re: agar]
    #4072419 - 04/19/05 11:43 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Re: More Casing ?'s [Re: hyphae]
    #4075879 - 04/20/05 05:07 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

thank you agar, as always very thorough.

--------------------

Wiccan_Seeker said:

Invisiblecrazytalken
SELECT
 User Gallery

Re: More Casing ?'s [Re: Mindzpore]
    #4076479 - 04/20/05 10:22 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Does anyone know the pH of Jiffy Mix. Im using 50% verm 50% jiffy mix. How much adjustment is needed? Could this explain poor pin sets?

--------------------
**"Both the psychedelic dream state and the waking psychedelic state acquire great import because they reveal to life a task: to become familiar with this dimension that is causing being, in order to be familiar with it at the moment of passing from life." -Terence McKenna

InvisibleDK1
Male
Re: More Casing ?'s [Re: crazytalken]
    #4076660 - 04/20/05 11:17 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Instead of using Hydrated Lime I am using Espoma Garden Lime, on the bag it says
Safer Than Hydrated Lime
Pelletized for Easy Application
on the front and the lable reads, "New and Improved Espoma Garden Lime is the finest grade of pelletized, dolomitic limestone available. It's fine pellets spread easily, react quickly, and do not pose the hazards associated with hydrated lime."
So this would also work as an alternative to hydrated lime and for calcium carbonate substitute I am using aquarium substrate that mainly consists of small shells. There's also something called calcisand or something like that for lizards and it contains a lot of calcium carbonate but it's way more expensive than the aquarium substrate.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: More Casing ?'s [Re: DK1]
    #4076868 - 04/20/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DK1 said:
Instead of using Hydrated Lime I am using Espoma Garden Lime, on the bag it says
Safer Than Hydrated Lime
Pelletized for Easy Application
on the front and the lable reads, "New and Improved Espoma Garden Lime is the finest grade of pelletized, dolomitic limestone available. It's fine pellets spread easily, react quickly, and do not pose the hazards associated with hydrated lime."
So this would also work as an alternative to hydrated lime and for calcium carbonate substitute I am using aquarium substrate that mainly consists of small shells. There's also something called calcisand or something like that for lizards and it contains a lot of calcium carbonate but it's way more expensive than the aquarium substrate.

You'd probably do better using a different source of a buffer. Try oyster shell powder. What your using probably contains to much Mg...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order