Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

liquid inocculation of logs
    #4047807 - 04/12/05 08:56 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

can this be done, what should i use for the liquid..i was thinking a wood broth...please post a tek or website about this..

--------------------
TONS OF SPORES TO TRADE PM ME!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: liquid inocculation of logs [Re: THEDANGLER]
    #4047891 - 04/12/05 09:23 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I used to make my shiitake lc with left over water from boiling the wood chips. You can knock up a log with an lc. Just drill a hole at an angle so that it will hodl the liquid. Fill with the broth. You can rinse it in a few days once the mycel gets foot hold and it will help remove the sugars and limit contams. You plug the hole with a cold chunk of wax. I have knocked up outdoor beds with lc's. I just wet them heavily a week after the lc becasue the dextrose likes to grow blue mold

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

Re: liquid inocculation of logs [Re: tahoe]
    #4047907 - 04/12/05 09:29 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i think this would be a more cost effective way...and i wouldn't have to spend all that time cutting dowles...im gonna have me 1000 logs done when i get this shit going thats my goal...can some one give me a list of species i can grow off logs/?

--------------------

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4047919 - 04/12/05 09:34 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

jesus dangler, Check this then, it will be better and cleaner. Mix up a shit load of wheat bran and saw dust at 4:1 sawdust:bran. Once colonized which takes about a week with lc you can pack this colonized saw dust into the holes and seal with wax.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlinefirstmatefluff
Stranger (thanmost)
Loc: Wisconsin
Re: liquid inocculation of logs [Re: tahoe]
    #4049442 - 04/13/05 07:33 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

list for logs:
Oyster (regular P. ostreatus, P. pulmonarius, king, yellow, and pink)
shitake
lion's mane
enoki
maitake (hen of the woods)
reishi
chicken of the woods

there are also other possibilities--I suggest you check out fungiperfecti.com, as well as prior posts on this site--and no offense dangler, but looking at some of your posts, I think you should really do a bit of "homework" anyway to become more familiar with the various names and "standard" commercial edibles out there. Good luck to you!

Mark

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

Re: liquid inocculation of logs [Re: firstmatefluff]
    #4049468 - 04/13/05 07:52 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

yah your prolly right but i was going to use the sawdust tek but i read you have to have some special gun or something...hey i googled the fuck out of this topic and could not find nothing...well thanks still seems like liquid would be easyier to pruduce, also i could nock up many more log...ill do both tahoe can you tell me how you use the sawdust with out that special gun thing...

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4049667 - 04/13/05 09:30 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

THEDANGLER said:
i was going to use the sawdust tek but i read you have to have some special gun or something

the guns use styrofioam -backed sawdust pellets specially devised for them. this means you must buy the pellets as it really is not in your best interest to try and make those yourself unless you intend to become a spawn pellet vendor which would be a whole new world of hurt. the guns are utlised by very large commercial farms to do assloads of logs.

the typical sawdust injection tool runs ~$20.00 and looks similar to an interchangeable screwdriver sans bits with a plunger on top. the depth of the "bit" hole is optimal for the the depth hole to drill in the log. You just stab the tool into some sawdust spawn, place the "bit" hole over the drilled hole and press the plunger with your thumb. you can get this tool at mushroompeople.com. they will also sell you sawdust spawn. some of the best, imo.

speaking of assloads of logs; i highly recommend that you start smaller than "1000's of logs" maybe start with ~50-100. You will commit mycological suicide if you try to start out that big with as little experience as you obviously do not have.

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

Re: liquid inocculation of logs [Re: debianlinux]
    #4051304 - 04/13/05 04:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hey man fuck you....dont be a Dick...dick...i just asked a fuckin question in my own thread no one forced you to come here and post..yah your prolly right but im still gonna cut up that many logs...so why cant you use liquid seems a hole lot CHEAPER...im oing up some wood broth and some detrose to see what will grow the best...i will inocculate the logs with a small drill bit and a big ass syringe i have them ill fill the holes with some wax..will all wax work?

--------------------

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #4051493 - 04/13/05 04:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Come on man, he wasn't being a dick. You've been in here for two weeks asking some really basic questions. In fact, I think that we've been really nice to you, because most of the questions you've asked could have been found with 1-15 minutes of research on your own. But don't worry. Noone can start out doing something and already know everything. Do a search of my posts in this forum from two years ago and I am sure you will find some things that I said that frankly embarrass me now.

As far as cutting logs go, we do not know where you are, but most places in the US, spring has sprung and trees are getting green. It is kind of the wrong time of year to be cutting down trees. As far as numbers go, last year I cut down three moderately sized trees and it took me apprx. 40 hours to drill the holes with a hammer drill. Took twice that time to inoculate and then fill the holes with wax. It didn't take much time to move back into the woods, but it was really hard work.

As far as liquid goes, you're treading on experimental ground. Most people would agree that you shouldn't learn to walk in a sandtrap or quicksand. You will find many "former" or resting amateur cultivators that are simply recovering from their last overwhelming failure. It sucks to have $2000 of money and countless months of research and development go down the drain and no one here wants that to happen to you, especially since you have only just peeked your head down the rabbit hole. Its pretty deep. (deep deep deep echos)

Edited by YidakiMan (04/13/05 05:30 PM)

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: liquid inocculation of logs [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4052780 - 04/13/05 11:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I had some extra sub. left over...I just drilled a hole, put in the myc. (not great i know...it was in a fruiting stage)...but it seems to have taken hold and it's doing it's thing...

I agree, i wouldn't try and do so many, not until you read up on the basics :smirk:, But that's just IMO, i'd hate to hear about you posting back about a big failure...Anyways...

Like tahoe said, just use lc's to knock up spawn and stuff w/ that and plug with wax....sounds like the way to go...

Good luck man

-Gnostic

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4053666 - 04/14/05 07:16 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

THEDANGLER said:
will all wax work?

this dick recommends that you use cheese wax as others are notorious for drying up and falling out. not to mention it is food safe.

Offlinefirstmatefluff
Stranger (thanmost)
Loc: Wisconsin
Re: liquid inocculation of logs [Re: debianlinux]
    #4053740 - 04/14/05 07:54 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

lol at all of this--look, dangler, we spoke by PM, and I'm happy to share cultures (that's how I got all my shit, after all), but these guys are trying to help. There's 2 things to ABSOLUTELY know here:
1. you are a newbie (no shame, everyone was once)
2. this shit is NOT trivial

I'm still a newbie, but I've got almost 1 year researching and messing around on you, plus over 8 years cell culture experience, plus I'm a scientist. I still contam. between 10-30% of my shit, and I'm just working sawdust in bags.

I don't want to put anyone on the defensive here, and you seem like a nice enough guy, but the folks who've responded in this thread already probably equals at least 10 years cumulative experience--take their advice to heart.

Also, 1000 logs, if you decide you can do it, more power to you--nobody told you never, ever do 1000 logs, they said you're lookin to swamp yourself, and I'm inclined to agree--I pissed around with a few logs before, it seems trivial but you're looking at at least 30 min per log as a newbie, so at a minimun 1000 logs =500 hours work, or 12.5 40-hour work weeks. By Yidaki's math, 3 trees (not sure how many logs) came out to almost 120 hours.

Its just more labor-intensive than you may realize, and folks were suggesting you try like 100 to start--if after that your hands aren't bloody and blistered, and you have any bits left, and you aren't sick of the project, and haven't gone crazy, by all means, cut another 100, or another 900--you'll know how you are doing by then. Of course, you still won't know what sort of success you're gonna have in mycelial "take", but that's a whole different issue.

I do wish you luck, and I'll get the cultures out to you, but take some of this to heart. Also, since you're obviously a signed in member, use the search feature to look up old posts under "log" or "shitake" or the like, and check out some of the archived stuff--this place offers WAY more than Google........

Mark

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #4054572 - 04/14/05 12:00 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

THEDANGLER said:
hey man fuck you....dont be a Dick...dick...i just asked a fuckin question in my own thread no one forced you to come here and post..yah your prolly right but im still gonna cut up that many logs...so why cant  you use liquid seems a hole lot CHEAPER...im oing up some wood broth and some detrose to see what will grow the best...i will inocculate the logs with a small drill bit and a big ass syringe i have them ill fill the holes with some wax..will all wax work?

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: please take that attitude away from GGMM forum, kthxbye

--------------------
buh

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

Re: liquid inocculation of logs [Re: shirley knott]
    #4055112 - 04/14/05 02:13 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

damn i write one pissed off post and you all jump on my ass...read the fuckin topic and quite flamein me...and shirley thanks for comeing to my thread for no reason just to flame me..you fuck..oh and thanks for those dirty ass prints to...

yes i am new to cultivating GOURMETS...ive been growing cubies for about 4yrs now..i started out on the drool donkey board if any of you remeber it...yah and i did seach their is nothing on LIQUID CULTURE INOCCULATION OF LOGS>>>god damn...ill do my own shit up and forget yah..

--------------------

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

#4055140 - 04/14/05 02:23 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

oh and one more thing i said i was going to cut 1000 logs not inoculate 1000logs..i cant cut them over the summer,because of the nutrition thing...and the trees here in Michigan especially the oak have not started to bud...so please only constructive criticism..or you can just fuck off...
and first mate none of this is directed, I'm still down to trade or whatever...i just hate people pointing fingers at me saying I'm inexperience weather its true or not,,,i do have over 50 bags of shiitake a reishi going with no contams...so dont act like I'm not serious about this shit...not to mention the 18 jars of sra i just got going...

--------------------

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4055294 - 04/14/05 03:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

THEDANGLER said:
damn i write one pissed off post and you all jump on my ass

Sounds like my life story

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#4056028 - 04/14/05 06:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

This seems to have reached its constructive end.

I'll just add my 2 cents; Liquid inoculation of bulk substrate [chips, dung, straw, compost] has never been recommended over other techniques, IME. Logs may prove to be another story, so experiment away. It would be a good idea to do some/most with a tried and true method, though.

Keep it under control.

Clickity click

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom