Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJaguarWarrior101
ShamanicAlchemist InTraining
Male User Gallery

Loc: State of Euphoria
Incubators - Heat Mat, Tub In Tub(TIT), and other heating methods compared.
    #4047267 - 04/12/05 06:22 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'm setting up a new incubator. I've always used the TIT method, which I found works good once you work out the bugs. But I'm considering using a seedling heat mat instead this time. I'm going for more stealth, and think the heat mat might be better for this, and less to worry about with the water and what not.

What are your opinions on these two methods for achieving the proper heat for your incubation chamber? The pros and cons of each.

--------------------
The above post is purely hypothetical, and should not be considered the true thoughts, opinions, or actions of a real life person.

We perceive. This is hard fact. But what we perceive is not a fact of the same kind, because we learn what to perceive.
~Carlos Castaneda

Edited by JaguarWarrior101 (04/13/05 10:46 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: JaguarWarrior101]
    #4047287 - 04/12/05 06:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.petstreetmall.com/beds.aspx?id=3792&cat=697

heard about these being used befor dont know what model or any thing

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: onetime]
    #4047300 - 04/12/05 06:33 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I don't see a heating pad distributing heat quite as uniformly as a TiT.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: onetime]
    #4047306 - 04/12/05 06:34 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If I used a heat mat it would probably be this.

--------------------
The above post is purely hypothetical, and should not be considered the true thoughts, opinions, or actions of a real life person.

We perceive. This is hard fact. But what we perceive is not a fact of the same kind, because we learn what to perceive.
~Carlos Castaneda

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: Holydiver]
    #4047319 - 04/12/05 06:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Diver said:
I don't see a heating pad distributing heat quite as uniformly as a TiT.

This seems to be one of the biggest advantages of TIT over a heat mat. I may have to set it up this way again, if I want the best even heating...

--------------------

~Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4047329 - 04/12/05 06:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, thing about a TiT is the enclosed tub w/ lid captures a lot of the otherwise lost heat.

Heating pad = jars sitting in the middle of nowhere. Unless you put them on a rack or something, and inside a box from there. Still, my experience with heating pads and incubating things has never been so great. Bottoms of jars cook, tops are cold. Sucky.

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: Holydiver]
    #4047491 - 04/12/05 07:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks Diver, I'm now revising my plans.

--------------------

~Carlos Castaneda

OfflineAbermelin
Gnome Hat

Loc: In The Mycelial Network
    #4047551 - 04/12/05 07:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

what about just sticking a heating mat inside the container the jars are in without the mat touching the jars? i think that might work better than a TiT. my problem with the TiT is that to do it, you would need a big bulky water chamber to house your incubation chamber. not very practicable where stealth is a must.

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: Abermelin]
    #4047571 - 04/12/05 07:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

You could use the pickle jar method like I do. Put your fish heater in a gallon pickle jar full of water. Rig a hole in the jar lid for the cord and apply duct tape liberally hehe. Then put the pickle jar heater inside an icechest. Once you dial in to the right setting on the heater, it maintains an extremely even temperature. It stays nice and dark too. One pickle jar heater can heat any size icechest too. I have 2 icechests running atm(1 for cackes, 1 for grains), and both are big enough to hold 184 cans of beer, according to the label hehe. It's 4ft. long x 1ft. wide x 1.5ft. tall, and my heater is not even set on half. Not sure how stealth an icechest sitting in front of a power plug is tho.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: Abermelin]
    #4047586 - 04/12/05 07:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well I want the best even heat distribution first, and then best stealth second. I really hate using the TiT, but I do know it works well. If there are any better ways to get even heat more stealthily, I'm all ears.

Abermelin,
Can you clarify your suggestion? Do you mean have the heat mat in the container, and then have the jars/casings sitting on a screen or something just above them?

--------------------

~Carlos Castaneda

OfflineAbermelin
Gnome Hat

#4047608 - 04/12/05 08:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, basically. like stick the mat on the bottom, the get a little cookie rack and stack your jars on top of that. that should keep a steady temp within the box. what temp that is i have no idea.

my room sits at a steady 80F, so its kinda a moot point for me to build a incubation chamber. on top of that, the jars add a few degrees from their own heat production, so always remember to substract 2-6F ( this is a guess of course ) from the ideal 86F temp when measuring ambient temps. If your using poo, the internal temperatures can be as much as 10-20 degrees hotter than the ambient air.

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #4048144 - 04/12/05 10:52 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Underhillmaster said:
You could use the pickle jar method like I do.  Put your fish heater in a gallon pickle jar full of water.  Rig a hole in the jar lid for the cord and apply duct tape liberally hehe.  Then put the pickle jar heater inside an icechest.  Once you dial in to the right setting on the heater, it maintains an extremely even temperature.  It stays nice and dark too.  One pickle jar heater can heat any size icechest too.  I have 2 icechests running atm(1 for cackes, 1 for grains), and both are big enough to hold 184 cans of beer, according to the label hehe.  It's 4ft. long x 1ft. wide x 1.5ft. tall, and my heater is not even set on half.  Not sure how stealth an icechest sitting in front of a power plug is tho.

That sounds like a good idea also. So the jar just sits in the icebox, and manages to heat the whole thing to the same temp?
I'll be doing all my work in one large closet, so an ice-chest may look more suspicious than a plastic tote(which could just be storing junk).

Thanks for all the ideas and help so far guys, greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

--------------------

~Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #4048341 - 04/12/05 11:42 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

From what I'm seeing I'd stick with the tit. Remember if ya want to make the tit even better put a water pump next to the heater to mix up the water. That way it's equil heat from all sides.

Fuckit here is my tit post.

Incubator set up.

1. First thing get your bottom tub and put in your heater. I also add a water pump to mix the water that way it heats up much more evenly but it isn?t a necessary item. I got the tape from a boat shop and it has been working for some time. Good stuff for underwater.

2. Next put something (I used tall half pints) in each corner of the tub. This will keep the heater and pump safe from being smashed if I put in to many jars or do something stupid.

3. Now be sure to set the heater before you put on the top tub. I attach the top tub with zip ties cause the top tub will want to float.

4. Add the water. I like to add as much water as I can before it starts to spill out.

5. If you use the heaters with the external controls set them now to get ready for the jars. Mine use a dial and a sensor that gives the temp inside the chamber rather then the water. It also has a metal bulb rather then a glass one.

6. Finished

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: Magash]
    #4048386 - 04/12/05 11:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Sporeworks got a new product in...i think i might pick one up.

Seedling Heat Mat - Incubator Heat Pad
9" x 19.5" -17 watt Seedling Heat Mat. Used to germinated seeds, but works great as a mushroom spawn incubator heat pad. Raises temperatures 10-20deg above ambient. Use in conjunction with the Electronic Thermostat Controller for prescise temperature control in an enclosed space such as a small insulated cooler. Inexpensive way to incubate your spawn.

http://sporeworks.com/supplies.html

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4049023 - 04/13/05 03:29 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks Magash, great post!
I like the way you set that up, one thing I did before was use a shorter tote for the inside container, then the lid can be put on the external container trapping more heat. A bag of some sort can be used to seal off the water between the internal and the external containers, this keeps you from having to add water when it evaporates. The top of a bottle or something can be patched into the bag so you can add water etc if needed.

kronnyQ,
Yeah, that's what spurred me to have the idea to use a heat pad.

--------------------

~Carlos Castaneda

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4049318 - 04/13/05 06:32 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

With a mat you do need the (usually expensive) digital thermostat to work it properly. I just fried some spores with a 15W heater the other day. You need a buffer between the mat and jars, like a folded towel or a bunch of old t-shirts. I used to use a dimmer switch with another old heat pad which took a while to adjust as a tiny change would take hours to realise. Also if your room temp changes during the day the dimmer option is not much use.

So the mat will work but you need a thermostat. I have a broken aquarium heater which I am going to try and modify so its magnetic thermostat can still be used

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: blackout]
    #4049333 - 04/13/05 06:38 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If you really want to do it cheap stick a 60W light bulb with a dimmer switch in a biscuit tin and put the jars on top on of the lid with a towel thrown over them. the air in the tin serves as a good buffer.

Offlinemiker311
Stranger
Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: blackout]
    #4049343 - 04/13/05 06:39 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

if you already have a tit. i would consentrate your efforts on hiding the tit. Rather then useing a heat matt, very un uniform heat not to mention that direct contact with the matt will dry that area of the substrate. try converting a closet or a up-right cubord to house it in........Remember, you wont give a shit about stealth if 8 out of 10 jars go bad......good luck

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: miker311]
    #4049351 - 04/13/05 06:42 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

in order to complete magash's tit post,
here's one in action:

peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineAbermelin
Gnome Hat

Re: Incubators, Heat Mat vs Tub In Tub(TIT) [Re: ohmatic]
    #4049615 - 04/13/05 08:59 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

that direct contact with the matt will dry that area of the substrate

thats why you put a cookie rack above the heat mat, so they dont dry the jars out.

damn magash, thats a huge setup. you got a meth lab in the other room too?

TiT (depending on container size) = small area for jars OR not covert

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate