Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
Gun slinger and the Dark tower series: if you read them READ THIS!
    #4039267 - 04/10/05 11:17 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I am on the first book- The Gunslinger. As a scholar and person interested in great literary works, I question the basis of this series by Stephen King. I am unsure where the series is going, but I have a few questions about the books.
Considering it would take a great amount of time and imagination to thoroughly enjoy these books, I wonder if I should even finish the first one, and perhaps embark on reading the other 9 or so(?) books in the series.
From what I take it, the "gunslinger" is living in an age of the future, but on the planet Earth(because of the Flashback the boy has to new york city twentieth century), and a time still ruled by something primitive as a gun.
It seems the Gunslinger is 'good' but I wonder what the overriding theme will prevail through the books.
Anyone wanting to give some insight on their personal thoughts of this series is welcome, particularly the world the series takes place in and the main character himself.

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCrestfallen
some kindasomethin'

Re: Gun slinger and the Dark tower series: if you read them READ THIS! [Re: flowstone]
    #4039479 - 04/11/05 12:03 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Alright, well you've read the first one, which is good if you enjoyed it. There are only 6 other ones in the series. The basic overriding theme, as I gathered from it, is that King was inspired by Tolkien and his LOTR series, and wanted to write a series that was also about a quest of some kind.

Basically, the Gunslinger exists in a place called the "Wasteland" which is in the future. He is the last remaining Gunslinger on the Earth, and after his apprenticeship or after the last of the gunslingers where killed is when he decides to head for the dark tower. The series illustrate the events leading up to his finding of the tower. Along the way, several other characters emerge from other King novels and are tied into the story. For example, the alien from Hearts in Atlantis is incorporated into the series in a way that I can only describe as genius, that is if it wasnt a coincidence.

So, my advice would be to go ahead and read the next book , "The Drawing of the Three". But if you dont stick with the series, or dont have the focus, my guess is you wont like it.

--------------------
The above statement is completely fictional and composed solely for the purpose of entertainment.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Gun slinger and the Dark tower series: if you read them READ THIS! [Re: Crestfallen]
    #4039520 - 04/11/05 12:09 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Good analysis, although I was under the impression that The Wasteland was some sort of alternate dimension which could sometimes be crossed, most notably to bring "the three" together for some higher purpose. (A Deus Ex Machina, perhaps?)

OfflineCrestfallen
some kindasomethin'

Re: Gun slinger and the Dark tower series: if you read them READ THIS! [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4039573 - 04/11/05 12:21 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'm actually fairly certain that The Wasteland can be broken into from other dimensions. Theres one part in the series where The Land of Oz is thrown into the mix, and the things that happen in the movie creep into the Wasteland and start happening there. The two realities merge in a way. And Oz is NOT a happy place....

--------------------
The above statement is completely fictional and composed solely for the purpose of entertainment.

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
Re: Gun slinger and the Dark tower series: if you read them READ THIS! [Re: Crestfallen]
    #4039667 - 04/11/05 12:44 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Great insights to the series :thumbup:
I would really like to hear another point of view. Good night all, I'll check back in the morning :peace:

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom