Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleplaastikbob
Stranger

Hawk's Eye Magic Formula
    #403827 - 09/25/01 04:53 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

On the Hawks eye web site there is a recipe for a substrate with bird seed. I don't have a pressure cooker but I would love to use this substrate. WOuld it be ok if I baked or microwaved the substrate while it was still dry in order to sterilize?

--------------------
Any posts by this user is for information only. At no time has this user attempted to grow mushrooms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: Hawk's Eye Magic Formula [Re: plaastikbob]
    #404096 - 09/25/01 08:53 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

The general consensus with bird seed is that you really need a PC to ensure sterility. The finch seed harbors spores inside the grain that often cannot be killed without PCing.

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Loc: california, orange
    #404110 - 09/25/01 09:02 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

microwaving it when it is dry wont do a thing!!!! you dont see contams just growing off of dry birdseed do you ??? no!!! it has to be moist for things like that to grow. if you dont have a pc (or something better) then you cant use the seeds, that is the bottom line

it begins with an "m" and ends with an "ushroom"

--------------------
the little kridders of nature; they dont know that thyre ugly!

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Loc: Oregon
Re: Hawk's Eye Magic Formula [Re: FanaTEK]
    #404118 - 09/25/01 09:05 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Has anyone actually tried boiling them?  I mean, I hear everyone saying it is impossible with out p coking them, but I have no proof, so I wil probably try on a couple jars just to see.

I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

--------------------
I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

Offlinegusb232

Loc: pm me
    #404128 - 09/25/01 09:10 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

It might be possbile to use seed with just baking but i would pastureize it first. Well. first rise it off real good to remove 'bird cote' then let is soak for a day or two in water to germinate endospores. Then u can try to boil it for a while 30min or more. now you can try useing it in substrate and bake it.
I dont know if this would work for sure but , i have never done it, but i dont see why it would not work. If you do let us know how it goes.

The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible.
Eistein

Offlinejuicer
Stranger
Re: Hawk's Eye Magic Formula [Re: pyromaniac]
    #404145 - 09/25/01 09:17 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I have actually used bird seed and BRF mix with varying results. Usually I have a very low contamination rate with this mixture: less than one jar per dozen on the average. This was all done without a pressure cooker, just boiling them. So yes, it is possible to just boil them successfully, it just doesn't work out all the time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale