Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Print to syringe in glove box
    #4035600 - 04/09/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I have some questions on the whole process.

I normally spray some soap or alcohol inside the box to sterilize. Then I normally have a bunch of syringes inside with sterilized water. I also had sterilized some shot glasses but then had put them inside the glovebox and put some alcohol to whip them in addition.

I noticed that some of my syringes seem to be not working. Perhaps this is because the alcohol killed the spores?

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Print to syringe in glove box [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4035627 - 04/09/05 09:33 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If the alcohol in the shot glasses doesn't evaporate completely before you streak spores from your print into it, yep, it'll roast your spores.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

#4035806 - 04/09/05 10:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Great, lucky me haha. Maybe that explains why this other guys syringe was dead as well. So I guess next time I will pc the shot glasses in a sealed mycobag and open the bag in the glove box. I guess using alcohol is a big no no in the glove box. Do you just whip the scapal with soap water inbetween transfers with different spores? Then you have the probelm if the print is on paper making it wet.

Someone explain why prints are on paper? Do you just make one syringe at a time with one print? I normally make all of them at once, so I do like 4-6 prints and 20-30 syringes.

--------------------

Edited by Fluxburn (04/10/05 02:17 AM)

Offlinealkadymycovic
Mycomaniac!
    #4036232 - 04/10/05 03:00 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

That's a great idea, using the sealed mycobag to protect sterilized items. As far as alcohol in the glovebox, yes it seems to kill spores. Prints are made on paper, it seems, out of habit. Sometimes paper is a little easier to handle and mail?

You can take prints straight into a liquid culture medium, like karo, or into distilled/pure water for a syringe. A FOAF suspends the cap over a glass of water, lets the spores fall into that, and then fills his syringes from there. This is all done in a glovebox, of course. I'd be scared to try direct spore inoculation of a liquid culture in the open air...

First spore print I ever saw was used to fill one syringe only, what a waste that was! Use a single print to fill multiple syringes, yeah.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Re: Print to syringe in glove box [Re: alkadymycovic]
    #4036324 - 04/10/05 05:11 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yah it is easy to use one print to make 5-6 syringes easy. Man I am sorta upset, I have 20 syringes that are dead and I wasted 4 prints.... at least I have more prints.

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4036483 - 04/10/05 07:17 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yoo...Flux................

If you have any autoclave bags & an impluse sealer?

PC anything you want to keep STERILE in them..... unsealed.. but folded over several times.

Once PC'ed & cooled, impulse seal the puppies. Almost indefinite sterile storage.

Without bags & sealer....... PC things in a quart or larger glass jar with a lose lid on it. Once PC'ed, tighten the lid. Again, almost indefinite sterile storage.

When you intend to use the items, simply swab or wipe down the exterior of the container with 70% alc in the G/B. To whack the nasties on the outside. Then, open & but to use.

--------------------

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

#4036507 - 04/10/05 07:37 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hey agar I have a question for you. I have a impulse sealer and autoclave bags right. I find that if any water is at the impulse seal it will not seal where the water drop is, it leaves a hole since the water was their, thus causing a little hole where it did not seal.

That is why I always seal my bags before, I normally take a paper towel and whipe the inside of the area where I am sealing, since it was damp from loading birdseed in right.

Do you have this probelm or am I the exception?

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4036566 - 04/10/05 08:06 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Does your sealer have a heat adjustment dial for the seal wire? Try turning the seal heat down a tiny bit.

Any water droplets at bag neck area where you intend to seal, will usualy vaporize on contact with hot impulse heat seal. That causes your the problem -  you mention.

You can also get some STERILE absorbant gauze (wound/medical type) in small individual wrappers. Just swab dry bag neck area with it, then seal :thumbup:.

If you work in a flow/hood, the hepa filtered air flowing through the work area also helps to Evap any residual moisture at the bag neck - quickly.

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #4036567 - 04/10/05 08:06 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Do the same as you. Never had this problem but I do double seal.

:sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Re: Print to syringe in glove box [Re: KaptKid]
    #4037589 - 04/10/05 03:22 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Ok agar, the impulse sealer has a seconds on control, not temp control. I normally have it on for 3 seconds.

I double seal, sometimes tripple seal because the damn water vaporizies on contact which is so annoying. I really need a flow food, since sealing the bags afterwards I better have a pretty damn good clean space for the sealing.

I had a large bag almost fully colonized and I noticed a little hole near the seal in the bag..... then green started to take over the cake arg. I noticed a bag in the fridge that had a tiny hole at the seal, that bag started growing green mold.

I was drunk or something and dropped something down the side of my fridge, so I pulled out the bottom drawer and I saw all this nasty blue shit growing, IEEEEWWWWW,

Honestly I it is fing nasty as all hell.

--------------------

Edited by Fluxburn (04/10/05 03:24 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck