Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Just say the magic word !
    #4026420 - 04/07/05 01:27 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I read around and see people say stuff like "That's Bullshit" when really they have no idea if it is or not.

Since when does choosing not to believe in something make it not so? Seems like it's being done in the name of skepticism but it often looks more like what is called being in denial or ignorance.

I find it amusing when proud to be skeptic types say, "Just because you believe in something doesn't make it so" all the while they go around choosing not to believe in stuff as if that doesn't make it so.

Is this like a double standard of philosophical magic or what? :lol: It's as if one says, "You can't make things appear just by believing in them but I can make things disappear by choosing not to believe in them. Here, watch how it works. You say something you know or think to be soo and I will then use the magic word. Bullshit! See, it's all gone now because I said the magic word.  :crazy:

Before you can say it is not raining outside, don't you have to physically go outside and look all around for yourself before you can be so sure of that?

I remember driving home from somewhere and the dude on the radio is saying, "It's a beauuuuuutiful sunny afternoon in Tampa Bay. It was piss pouring rain on my car." I was like, "dude, where are you getting your weather reports from?

I think it's funny as all hell and know I will get a hardy laugh from now on every time I see a skeptic, wave his wand and use the magic word here.

The next time the waiter brings you your dinner check, just say, "Bullshit!" then get up and leave. Some of you guys seem so sure of this words magical powers to make possibilities disappear, you may be able to start getting free dinners with it. Go for it and let me know what the results are.  :wink:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Just say the magic word ! [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4026576 - 04/07/05 01:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i guess you're referring to the 2012 talk goin on?

i think its nice to see that there aren't that many people saying "its bullshit". i would understand though if someone said that, because it does seem a bit too mystical, but at the same time alot of people acknowledge that it seems like we've reached a critical point in our history, and that we can almost say "anything is possible" just because the possibilities ARE infinite. And its not that hard to acknowledge that there are infinite possibilities.

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Just say the magic word ! [Re: exclusive58]
    #4026623 - 04/07/05 02:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Not that thread AT ALL. How can any one know what will happen 7 years from now. It would be understandable if everyone said bullshit in it as we are not even there yet.

I was seeing it used in threads relative to the present time.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (04/07/05 02:12 PM)

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4026727 - 04/07/05 02:34 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:shrug: It's all bullshit one way or the other :tongue:

It's good to be skeptical in terms of evidence that supports general notions without specific evidence supporting something beyond conjecture.

Maybe that's just bullshit... :shrug:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlinehobgoblin
Stranger
    #4026789 - 04/07/05 02:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Skepticism is a fine approach to many things, maybe to most things, but eventually some folks will find it unsatisfying, especially if they use psychedelics. There's just too too much that we do not (can not?) understand about this life and universe.

I mean, where is it written that bipedal hominids should wrap things up once and for all with our monkey-driven rationality.

Bullshit!

--------------------
Seek not to rationalize hobgoblins. ~ Yeats

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Just say the magic word ! [Re: hobgoblin]
    #4026818 - 04/07/05 02:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup: :heart:

You can be both skeptical and open. It just takes an open mind. A willin ness to shift and not be invested in  one thing or the other. How well you pull that off depends on much personal growth you have under your belt. :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #4026933 - 04/07/05 03:21 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I am not trying to encourage people to be cynical bastards or to use swear words like "bullshit" but here's what I think.

The new agers who make claims that there are auras or that atlantis existed and all this stuff um this is a claim they are making and they give their evidence but the cynical bastards then say hey bullshit and present their evidence and the evidence is much more in favour of there not being auras, that atlantis was just a rhethorical device of Socrates...the burden of proof is on the new agers.

Another aspect of being cynical is that they don't want to be foolish and accept things just cause they're nicer to believe. All the new age stuff is 'nicer' to believe. Oh, we're actually holy spirits, not just evolved apes. Oh the planets control our personalities! That makes me feel so much more important.

And the third and final thing, that is related closely to the second thing, is that if a person does get their hopes up and then is let down, they usually wind up feeling worse or being worse off than if they never invested their hope with that thing that failed in the first place. That's what causes people to grow up cynics, being let down all the time, not necessarily by spiritual concepts but by spiritual concepts and or friends and or teachers and or sports teams and or the weather, etc. etc.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Just say the magic word ! [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4026969 - 04/07/05 03:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Exactly all. Saying, I can't just believe something on word alone is fine and as it should be, unless you have reason to place 100% trust in something or someone.

I am talking about when people say it without knowing what they are talking about.

If Sam and I went to an exclusive club called Joe Joe's last night and the next day I hear him telling people at lunch I was home all night watching TV, I can rightly say, "That's bullshit Sam! You KNOW I was at Joe Joes Club with you"

If I e-mail a friend and tell him I was at Joe Joes club last night and met Paris Hilton and he writes back, "That's Bullshit! They only let people with million dollar trust funds in there, there is no way you got in.", then he was out of line to call bullshit because he has no way of really knowing if I got in and met her or not.

He is free to not believe me of course, but to say I WAS NOT THERE AND DIDN'T MEET HER is out of line. My friend on the other side of the globe can't know it for sure so how can he say that with such conviction?

Those are the kind of bullshit calls I am talking about. Look at all of the stuff being said in the Hitler Occult thread for example. Who out of any of us, lived with Hitler 24/7 to know for SURE what the heck he, practiced or believed in or didn't?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (04/07/05 03:32 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4026975 - 04/07/05 03:31 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

"I read around and see people say stuff like "That's Bullshit" when really they have no idea if it is or not."

Yes, that is true...but it feels so damn good to say it!

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Just say the magic word ! [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4026983 - 04/07/05 03:33 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It's fun to say and when you know something for sure then say it! I am talking about times when its said as if something just is not can not be so no way no how, with no way of really knowing for sure.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4027015 - 04/07/05 03:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I am guilty of that...as are most people. I forgive myself and vow to do better...then I do it again....I do try, however.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4027057 - 04/07/05 03:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Some time ago, you wrote in Tdencsa's (sp?) Bullshit post that you just like to say it so I laugh when I read you say it picturing you saying it for fun.

Anyone can use it all they want to if they follow it with a, "but, I don't know for sure", when they don't. Thats just being honest then.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #4027769 - 04/07/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The Skeptics Credo:

Anything which can't be proven to MY satisfaction, is BULLSHIT!

That which you think is true, and I think is true, is called science, fact, and logical.

That which you think is true, and I think is false, is called BULLSHIT!

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlinehobgoblin
Stranger
    #4027795 - 04/07/05 06:27 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
"I read around and see people say stuff like "That's Bullshit" when really they have no idea if it is or not."

Yes, that is true...but it feels so damn good to say it!

Fuckin'a!

--------------------

Offlineslaphappy
Its just me
 User Gallery

Loc: Norway, Eidsvoll, Råholt...
Re: Just say the magic word ! [Re: hobgoblin]
    #4028031 - 04/07/05 07:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

This is all bullshit, I don't believe a fucking word you're saying.

Are you trying to imply your beliefs unto me or what, this is so bullshit, man! Do you mean I would just say "bullshit!" because I don't want to believe it?? BULLSHIT!! You're wrong! I say bullshit because it IS bullshit, it is WRONG, and I tell you it is wrong, and it is wrong because I said it and its all fucking bullshit and I'm not really pissed off at all I'm just bullshitting but fuck! its fun!

--------------------
The argent messenger of truth beyond truth, the antithesis of life, cruel and bleak as interstellar space, pulseless and frozen as absolute zero, dazzling with the frost of irrefragable logic and unforgettable fact.

Offlinehobgoblin
Stranger
Re: Just say the magic word ! [Re: slaphappy]
    #4028183 - 04/07/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Fuckin B u l l  S H I T !!!

Mutha FUCK!

:lol:

God it's late. I am getting veerrrry sssleeepyyy.

--------------------

Offlinehobgoblin
Stranger
Re: Just say the magic word ! [Re: Icelander]
    #4028275 - 04/07/05 08:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Personal growth is somewhat overrated, in my opinion but a worthwhile pursuit non-the-less.

Much love. :heart:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds