Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
How scatman does casing mix (coir)
    #4024819 - 04/07/05 02:27 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

I'm switching to peat but preperation is similar...this is all made up though...its basic stuff, nothing new or different..but hopefully explained clearly and the pictures may help.
----------
Work in progress..let me know if you see something odd or have any questions?

Casing is the easy stuff. First thing is get everything together. Coir and verm:

Strainer (4 pieces of PVC and 4 corner PVC pieces with screen stretched across it and zip tied, leaving plenty of slack for stuff to sit):

Calcium Carbonate/Powdered oyster shells and dust mask:

Now you?re good to go. First find a bucket and throw a hunk of coir in there. It takes some time to learn the exact size to break off. I buy the huge bricks offline with huge bags of verm. The 6 cu foot bag of verm is stored elsewhere and a small bag is kept with the brick. Fill the bucket with the coir in it with HOT water out of your tap. It will help expansion by using hot water. Now just let it expand:

Now time to buffer. I put in this much, about 5-8 times:

Mixing it around very well each time. You need to make sure whatever long term buffer your using is POWDERED. Crushed will not benefit you very much as it will not break down over time. Mycelium release acidic secretions over time and flushes. Powdered oyster shells (Calcium Carbonate, chalk (not the kind a teacher uses), powder eggshells) will work to keep the pH at an even 7. Coir will perform well without the pH adjustment, however, it is WELL worth the investment. It will increase flush yield and number and decrease chance of contams (green mold thrives in acidic environment and doesn?t like neutral to well). Powdered oyster shells can be found cheap (2$/pound) here, among other places. Then into the strainer it goes and the bucket gets filled with verm up to just below the point the coir was:

Then fill with warm water. Again, warm water helps absorption. Once filled and soaked for a couple minutes, pour the bucket of wet verm into the strainer with the coir and get mixing! Usually by the time it?s thoroughly mixed (adding in verm if needed), it?s well strained. You want to use a horticultural or medium grade verm. Fine verm works, but courser verm is better. Try not to compress the verm to much at any point.

Moisture content isn?t so important because when you apply it, it can be misted to the proper content. You defiantly want it nice and moist though. It should feel like nice soil. Then you just shovel it into jars, making sure you don?t pack it down:

And PC for 30 minutes at 15 PSI. There are no nutrients in the casing mix and it should be relatively clean as it is so 30 minutes is plenty. If you are concerned, you can extend the time to 60 minutes. I have found this to make things easiest on me, I can store the jars for long periods of time until needed then crack one open when ever patching, repair, or casing needs to be done. And if you need large amounts for bulk, it can be loaded into bags instead of jars (don?t load to full and compact it, you want it to remain fluffy and airy). Make sure rubber side is up on the lid, you dont want to seal the jars and create a vacuum.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (04/07/05 02:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Re: How scatman does casing mix (coir) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4025033 - 04/07/05 05:43 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Again, you just made my life about a thousand times easier. This is great, its simple, and you have good pics to boot.

Thanks, but like i said in my other post, i need coffee.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

OfflineDarkie
Bitches n hoes dont mean a thing
 User Gallery

Re: How scatman does casing mix (coir) [Re: Photoguy]
    #4025277 - 04/07/05 08:23 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Hmmm...I've never patched in the past because i never had sterile casing mix on hand at the time. Good idea to make it in jars so it is always available. I'll think about patching in the future.

--------------------
You gotta wake up to get faded but you gotta get up to get paided.

OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
Re: How scatman does casing mix (coir) [Re: Darkie]
    #4025310 - 04/07/05 08:29 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

just did this last night, i took a coir brick, hydrated it in the sink, jared up as much as possible and stuck the rest in a large spawn bag, PC'd jars and pastuerized bag of coir in oven w/ another large bag of straw/dung

now i just have to PC some jars of verm to go w/ it... might just through that in a bag in the oven again too

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: How scatman does casing mix (coir) [Re: SoK]
    #4025412 - 04/07/05 08:48 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Hey scat, What if I'm using hydrated lime? Would 1 tsp of hydrated lime be good for about two cups of 60/40 mix? I don't have any pH indicators...

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How scatman does casing mix (coir) [Re: dr0mni]
    #4030047 - 04/08/05 08:42 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

I wouldnt use hydrated lime on coco coir. You want a long term buffer, that isnt water soluable..such as limestone or powdered oyster shells. Hydrated lime will imediatly react to your pH, which should start at a neutral 7. The whole point of the buffer is to get the pH to remain 7 over time. Hydrated will do it instant though and could raise the pH way to much..and wont have any long term effect. With peat based casings, I suggest a long term buffer in addition to the hydrated lime though. I do suggest trying out peat moss too...I have and wont be prepping coir anymore...peats done basically the same way though..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineTheLightIsOn
In the worst ofall your fears

#4602611 - 08/31/05 06:10 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

How long will the jars last moisture and all if you don't case them right away?

--------------------
AFOAF's current multi-grow log

"In the privince of the mind, what is believed to be true is true or becomes true, within limits to be found experientially and experimentally.  These limits are further beliefs to be transcended.  In the province of the mind, there are no limits." -John C. Lilly

Edited by TheLightIsOn (08/31/05 06:11 AM)

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How scatman does casing mix (coir) [Re: TheLightIsOn]
    #4602776 - 08/31/05 08:06 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

If the jars are fully sealed and sterilized with no filter patches then they will hold their moisture indefinitely.

OfflineTheLightIsOn

Re: How scatman does casing mix (coir) [Re: blackout]
    #4602915 - 08/31/05 09:05 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, thanks for the responce :-) I;ll just make tuns of jars of casing and store it.

-peace

--------------------

"In the privince of the mind, what is believed to be true is true or becomes true, within limits to be found experientially and experimentally.  These limits are further beliefs to be transcended.  In the province of the mind, there are no limits." -John C. Lilly

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4603324 - 08/31/05 10:54 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yep :smile: thats what I do...well these days I use bags with a loose rubberband around them..more casing mix per run. Find some autoclave (PP) bags.

--------------------

OfflineTheLightIsOn

#5213161 - 01/23/06 04:11 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks scatman. Seems very simple :-)

-PEACE

--------------------

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#5213676 - 01/23/06 10:37 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Why not seal the jars with the rubber side down?

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How scatman does casing mix (coir) [Re: Fraggin]
    #5213689 - 01/23/06 10:45 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Fraggin said:
Why not seal the jars with the rubber side down?

Scat said >>you dont want to seal the jars and create a vacuum. <<

--------------------

OfflineShRm22
Shroom Lover

Re: How scatman does casing mix (coir) [Re: agar]
    #7654261 - 11/19/07 11:23 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Would you be able to sterilize or pasteurize the mix in a pan instead of using a PC because I am without one at the moment?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate