Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefarmer_maggot
Casing, humidity and pinning
    #402218 - 09/23/01 11:30 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

A FOAF cased some rye substrate 9 days ago. Verm on bottom, coco fiber on top. The mycelium grew rapidly to the surface of the fiber, slowed down some, and continues to grow a bit. The surface looks like dirty snow, mainly white with spots of coco fiber still around, although even where the fiber is still visible the mycelium is close below the surface. So far so good.
However, she is getting anxious to see a pin. The temp is room temp, between 68 and 72 degrees. The container is a 21 gallon tupperware with rectangular clear plastic liner covering hole cut in lid. There are also two rectangular cut outs on opposite sides covered in micron magic filters to allow air exchange.

When the lid is on, the combined thermostat/hygrometer says "HH" which stands for high humidity and is supposed to represent > 99%, or at least that is the assumption. However, there is never any run off on the container sides and barely a light misting on the clear plastic lid, so for a while she was skeptical that the humidity was really that high. There is no perlite or any other water source in the container, just the two cases. She has only misted twice, when fiber looked dry.

Two questions:
So, is it surprising that the humidity reading is that high?
Is high humidity going to prevent pinning?

The ambient humidity in the house is only about 70-80%. She can fan and lower the humidity but she is away most of the day.

The only way to reduce the humidity for most of the time seems to be to remove the lid, or set it off just a bit so there is about a one inch crack along the top. Is that the right thing to do? So far she has had no contam problems but doesn't want to get any now. Opinions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNDK
Re: Casing, humidity and pinning [Re: farmer_maggot]
    #402333 - 09/24/01 05:33 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hi

I can only offer info from my experience with rye.

If the container is quite small relative to the area of exposed casing then it will easily get to 95%+ RH, especially in low temps like that. I have to crack my lid open by nearly 2 inches to get the humidity to 92%, especially when I've just misted.

That amount of mycellium relative to coco fibre sounds a bit like overlay. If it is, then you are going to have reduced pinning. If it is overly, you might conside deep scratching it.

Re: moisture. I mist mine pretty much every day. I like to keep the fibre moist, especially when inducing pinning. You don't want to let it get remotely dry at this stage. Remember to fan it, filtered air intake is not going to provide much air exchange. IMO you don't really need to worry about filtering the air, especially at this point in the cycle.

High humidity is not going to prevent pinning but is required. You don't want to reduce the humidity until you have a really good pinset already.

If it were me, I'd deep scratch it and mix in a bit of new casing and carry on with those temps and humidty, making sure it gets loads of daylight. But then I haven't seen it!

Offlinepj541
Loc: fuck off
Re: Casing, humidity and pinning [Re: NDK]
    #402753 - 09/24/01 03:59 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Are you fanning at all?

"If you are frightened of the end and your holding on you see devils tearing your life away but if you've made your peace then the devils are really angels freeing you from the earth.."

DON'T ORDER FROM STP!!!!

--------------------
?Well, this is how the world works. All energies flow according to the whims of the great magnet. What a fool I was to defy him.?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate