Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEPerson100
Stranger
I need help colonizing my jars of rye grain
    #401673 - 09/23/01 01:34 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hello to all -

I'm relatively new to the growing field, and instead of opting to do the PF tek method, I opted with the pre fabricated "kits." So, I bought the Mushroom Magic Soul Food Machine ( www.mushroommagic.com ) and ordered some Mazatec and False Mexicana strain spores from PF. I'm currently attempting
the Mazatec spores. The first stage of the growing procedure is to grow the spores out in what Mushroom Magic calls the "Magic Liquid Inoculation Powder" which is mixed with water and pressure cooked. I can grow this
stage out no trouble... I get lots of white mycelium in my jars over the course of about two weeks.

The problem lies in the second stage. I'm supposed to move the mycelium over to rye grain, but every time I try, the jars don't colonize and I'm forced to start over. I do everything right - organic rye grain, pressure cooked, temperature between 78-84 degrees, etc. Needless to say, this is getting VERY old and VERY frustrating. Could the problem be that Mazatec spores don't grow in rye? PF advises using another type of grain for their cakes if you're growing Mexican strains - does this fall under that category? I've seen other things like brown rice powder or soft grain rice used for some species. This is rapidly turning into an obsession that I can't break free from, and it's really pissing me off.

Another note: the kit I use uses "biofliters" to keep contaminants out and for the exchange of gases; these fit under the jar lids, and then you set the jars in the actual terrarium container, and they're supposed to colonize in 5-10 days. So, I never use vermiculite or make cakes, because you then lay wheatstraw down and the shrooms grow out of it after the jars are colonized and moved into the terrarium.

Thanks for the advice,

Erik

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebobaloo
Re: I need help colonizing my jars of rye grain [Re: EPerson100]
    #402020 - 09/23/01 07:58 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

You jumped right into the deep water without learning to swim first. My suggestion is go back, start over, learn to do the PF tek until it's too easy for you, THEN go to whole grains, they're a LOT tougher...

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #402034 - 09/23/01 08:15 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

try transfering your licuid mycelium to jars meticulously prepared for PF tek. i agree, you have jumped in over your head. if you can get licuid inoculant to grow, you should be able to use it instead of spores in PF cakes, but even that is skipping a lot.

what are you using to transfer your licuid inoculant?

Edited by tchyted on 09/23/01 09:17 PM.

InvisibleNDK
    #402339 - 09/24/01 05:49 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Could be that either the Magic liquid innoculant or the rye is getting contaminated and so not colonising. Do they smell when you open them?

Could be that you got the rye/water ratio wrong and it's too dry/wet to work properly.

I'm sure that any Cubensis variety is going to grow on rye if done right.

Instead of using measured ratios of water:rye, have you tried just pre-boiling the rye for c.45mins before PC'ing for an hour at 15PSI? I had no luck with rye until I tried this. I just inject the spores straight onto the rye. It takes longer cos of the germination time but works just fine.

Might wanna put foil over those filters to prevent evaporative drying of thr rye.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #402346 - 09/24/01 06:12 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Did you shake the jars everyday 2 to 3 days after innoc. ?

Peace,
MAIA

"Houston, we have a problem... shrooms are over "
=)Free&Spread the Spores(=
Support the FSR

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck