Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlueTalon
how much poppy goodies?
    #4009194 - 04/03/05 04:48 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i planted about a 25 cigar box filled to the top w/ cali poppy seeds (of course) in my yard recently.

i know this is a rough estimate..but how much Cali poppy opium can I havarest with the amount I planted?

How many plants do you think I will get at least?

thanks!

:tongue:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: how much poppy goodies? [Re: BlueTalon]
    #4009278 - 04/03/05 05:17 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

You mean a cigar box full of seeds? Well that's a shitload of poppy seeds that had the potential of growing a whole field or more. A whole field well taken care of could yield many dozen grams of 'california' opium.

You can plant 3000 seeds and have 0g of opium; and you can plant 10 seeds and have enough for a couple opiated nights for you and friends. It will depend on the space they have, the growing conditions, how well you take care of them.

Trying to estimate yield based on the number of seeds would be retarded!

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: how much poppy goodies? [Re: esin]
    #4009288 - 04/03/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

if you were to just throw a good amount of seeds on the ground you think any would end up growing?

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Re: how much poppy goodies? [Re: BlueTalon]
    #4009291 - 04/03/05 05:21 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If they are good seed you will have MANY thousands of seedlings.

How many can grow to maturity? Depends on the space they have...

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Re: how much poppy goodies? [Re: Locus]
    #4009313 - 04/03/05 05:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Without turning and loosening the soil or anything? Perhaps a few would survive.

I attempted this last fall - just throwing a bunch into fields and gardens. From many thousand seeds i spread only a couple are still alive. And they are in a small pile of loose dirt i found somewhere. One of them has thrown out a bud a couple days ago :grin: i hope noone cuts it off before it flowers.

On the other hand i planted 20 or so in pots at my house, around 15 germinated and i now have 7 or 8 almost mature plants. An they're only 7 or 8 because at some point i had to kill the weakest few so the strongest would get better conditions.

They don't need too much care or anything. I'd say the most important factor in 'guerilla' growing is loose soil and perhaps absense of agressive weeds.

EDIT: Once i figure out how to 'guerilla grow' reliably i will not grow poppies at my property again. They're utterly illegal to grow where i live, no excuses possible. Of course cali poppies are not, so that's what i'm growing in the meanwhile :wink:

Edited by esin (04/03/05 05:38 PM)

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4009340 - 04/03/05 05:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

interesting

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: how much poppy goodies? [Re: Locus]
    #4009449 - 04/03/05 06:03 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, poppies love disturbed soil. You know why red poppies are always on sale for rememberance day, right? All the shelling loosened up the soil, and all the poppy seeds which had been dormant suddenly got a great opportunity to grow, resulting in fields and fields of red poppies.

In my area there are pretty good poppies growing EVERYWHERE at the right time of year. I sampled some once and it was pretty potent (although I have no other opium experience to compare it to...), the plants look exactly the same as some I saw on the news in Afghanistan. They're certainly not one of the frilly ornamentals. Anyway, I think this year I might go pod harvesting, I could get MANY kilos of pods! Mmmm... tea...

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Re: how much poppy goodies? [Re: Openminded]
    #4009460 - 04/03/05 06:06 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

That's nice! One day that'll happen where i live :evil:

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#4009506 - 04/03/05 06:18 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, just keep spreading seeds in suitable looking places, and some are bound to grow into maturity. And then they'll drop thousands of seeds in the surrounding area, which will hopefully grow up as well... In a few years you'll get sick of seeing bloody poppies everywhere!
I'll try to remember to get some pics of these poppies near me when they flower this year, then you'll see what I mean. They're really EVERYWHERE.
I've been wondering, if you did an alcohol soak of dried pods and evapourated off the solvent, in what way would the product be different from real opium? The alcohol should leave behind most of the sugars etc, which I believe is what makes pod putty unsmokable, and it should also leave behind the proteins and other crap which is in raw opium. I'm coming to the conclusion that this method isn't used commercially simply because workers are cheaper than solvents... Maybe I'll just have to try it!

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#4009514 - 04/03/05 06:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I've just thought - I suppose it's possible that my area just has loads of guerilla growers!

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #4011827 - 04/04/05 06:40 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

california poppies & mexican poppies (Eshazolita & Agremone spp? - sumfin like dat, i dunno...) don't have terribly interesting alkaloid profiles, from what i hear...
ymmv...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Re: how much poppy goodies? [Re: gnrm23]
    #4011843 - 04/04/05 06:55 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah they don't but the somniferums are illegal (if you're after the opium) and as i'm sure we all are good responsible law-abiding citizens we grow nothing but eschscholzia and p. rhoeas :wink:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#4012136 - 04/04/05 09:45 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

There are also people who grow poppies for their pretty flowers and who decorate their house with beautiful floral arrangements of those pretty poppyheads.. that's legal too, unless you make them into a tea or somenthing :smirk:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Re: how much poppy goodies? [Re: Asante]
    #4012474 - 04/04/05 11:54 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Which is the case of all shroomerites who grow poppies, obviously.

In my case though, in portugal no one plants them for arrangements or for the pretty flower. Eating poppy seeds is no tradition as well. No excuses really...

We have wild papaver setigerum though. Albeit less than ssp. somniferum they still have interesting goodies in them :smile:

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4018687 - 04/05/05 07:00 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

pretty :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom