Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana Flag
problems with unexpectedly restarting laptop
    #4002459 - 04/01/05 08:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

the title says it all.
my laptop (Toshiba Satellite) will just shut off randomly, and almost always does i.

At first, i thought it may be an over-heating problem. I dont think it is. The fans work fine, and it never seems to be hot after-wards. I even added an extra normal house fan strategically placed to keep it chill.
any suggestions at what the problem might be? i considered it to be software, but i really doubt it.

im glad i have a 3 yr warranty but id rather not go through the hassle.

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
Re: problems with unexpectedly restarting laptop [Re: thePatient]
    #4003702 - 04/02/05 02:33 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Like you said, overheating probably isn't the source of the problem. My brother used to have this problem with his Toshiba laptop. With him, it has to do with the power settings. You should be able to adjust the power settings somewhere through software on the laptop. If i recall correctly, it should be somewhere in the start menu. Just look for "Toshiba." What usually happens is that if the laptop is idle it will process a certain action. It will also do this to conserve energy. If it overheats, it usually shuts down (i think that's a factory default with hardware). Hope this was of some help.

Invisiblekaleras
imperfectable
    #4004564 - 04/02/05 11:00 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

this is most likely a power problem, as trick said. could be a couple things. your laptop could be trying to go into hibernate or standby and it may not support these features, which could cause it to just shut down. to fix this, right click on your desktop, click properties. goto the screen saver tab, click power. on the power schemes tab, make sure system standby is set to 'never' for plugged in and running on batteries. on the hibernate tab, uncheck enable hibernation. (note that this is for windows xp, so it will vary slightly on other windows OS's) if this doesn't solve your problem, then it could be a battery or power adapter issue. are you running your computer on the battery when it shuts down? if so, make sure the battery is fully charged, if it is, then you might want to send the battery in and get it replaced. if you are running using the power adapter when it is shutting down, then you will need to get it replaced. make sure you have the battery out when running on the ac adapter. this serves two purposes. first, this way you will be able to eliminate the battery from being the problem. second, running the ac adapter with a battery in the laptop will shorten your battery's lifespan. ALWAYS take the battery out when switching to ac adapter. the battery is NOT to be used as a UPS. also, always have the battery FULLY charged before using it as the power source and ALWAYS run it completely out. doing otherwise can ruin some batteries in a very short amount of time. hope this helps.

OfflineOJ
old hand
Re: problems with unexpectedly restarting laptop [Re: kaleras]
    #4013774 - 04/04/05 06:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

probably the battery controller

-- Cheers
-- OJ

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4018487 - 04/05/05 06:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If it shuts off while you are using it and its plugged in, it is not a power config or battery problem.

All signs point to overheating. Your heatsink/fan may be clogged with dust which acts like an insulator, you may not even be able to feel it on the outside. I live in a dusty place and i fried a computer like that before i knew. It starts with random resetting or shutting off and eventually it burns out. It may also be a memory/integrated circuit malfunction in which case you would be pretty much fucked.

Also, you said "restarting" in the title. Thats definately overheating or memory failure.

OfflineOJ
old hand
Re: problems with unexpectedly restarting laptop [Re: Catalysis]
    #4019330 - 04/05/05 09:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Catalysis is right, dust insulates computer components causing them to overheat.

This is a possibility.

Inside that realm of possibility it could be your RAM as well.

take care

-- OJ

OfflineDeathexplosion
Loc: somewhere out there
Re: problems with unexpectedly restarting laptop [Re: OJ]
    #4019347 - 04/05/05 09:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i have a similar problem.i built a new computer seems to be working fine,except every so often i will turn on the windows media player and click to my videos and all of a sudden it will restart.it doesnt happen all the time but enough times to annoy me.

OfflineOJ
old hand
Re: problems with unexpectedly restarting laptop [Re: Deathexplosion]
    #4019364 - 04/05/05 09:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hmm

You may simply need to add more RAM

how much are you currently running?

If not I would imagine it is software related, using the windows repair feature may help, if not format.

-- OJ

Offlineharryfong
Stranger
Problems with unexpectedly restarting laptop also [Re: thePatient]
    #4123540 - 05/02/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i was given a Fujitsu montego laptop about a year ago , it has MS word 97 and win 98 OS. i only use it for word processing really. it cant do much else. and its perfect for me because i commute to school ( community college ) and i don't always have to go home to use a computer if the computer lab is full. but recently its been restarting for no reason after like maybe 5 or 10 mins of use. and its not like a shutdown and restart. it like imagine if it was a desktop without a battery backup and the power went off for a second then cam back on. that's whats happening to me , i have to save my work every 3 mins now and its annoying waiting for the restart to finish and sometimes i let the scan disk complete. i don't know allot about the inner working of a laptop, but I'm am mechanically inclined. can anyone help me ? i don't have the money to get another laptop. I would just like to be using this one the way i use to .
sincerely,
a poor student

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana Flag
Re: Problems with unexpectedly restarting laptop also [Re: harryfong]
    #4124265 - 05/02/05 04:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i never figured out the problem with my laptop, really.
i do believe it to be over-heating,
so i set up a fan to blast on it from behind.
This postpones the shutting down, but it eventually always restarts.
the best thing i did was buy a 3 yr warranty,
ill be sending it in to be fixed soon.

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Problems with unexpectedly restarting laptop also [Re: thePatient]
    #4127328 - 05/03/05 10:43 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Why not just get a program like Everest to see the CPU temp ? You could then go from there and possibley do something to fix it yourself....can't say I really know what laptops use for CPU cooling however.

Edited by kronnyQ (05/03/05 10:43 AM)

InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Re: Problems with unexpectedly restarting laptop also [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4131165 - 05/04/05 01:52 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

over heating is usually the source of random reboots

Jump to top Pages: 1