Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Nutrient broth harvest and extraction
    #3985178 - 03/29/05 12:31 PM (19 years, 4 days ago)

I've interested a local health food store in locally produced mushroom medicinals (my own) as opposed to mail order (Stamets). I can't really offer whole dried mushrooms or extracts thereof, save for wild found reishi.

So I would like to start producing mycelium. I am trying to figure out how the culture goes from in a jar with nutrient broth to a pill/powder or a tincture. I guess that at maturation, the mycelium is just pulled out of the jar. Is it drip dried? Washed (if so, with what)? After that I suppose the "good stuff" is concentrated.

Here is a document that explains web page it; however, I am not a chemist and do not understand some of the methods. (fractional precipitation? acid precipitation?)
Since supplements are not controlled by the FDA, could I extract my mycelium with an ethanol/water mixture reduce it to a ingestable size and sell it?

That document also lists several mushrooms that are useful and not useful for solely culturing mycelium in liquid broth.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Nutrient broth harvest and extraction [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3985707 - 03/29/05 02:01 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

YidakiMan said:
I am not a chemist and do not understand some of the methods. (fractional precipitation? acid precipitation?

i'm no chemist either and I wouldn't be able to take the concept of "fractional precipitation" and automatically know the proper materials and procedures to achieve it on a specific mycelium. I would expect the materials and procedures to be specific to the compunds you are trying to isolate. FWIW, tho, precipitation is simply the process of a constituent being removed from a solution. A perfect example is sugar water with a stick in it. The sugar precipitates out of the water and onto the stick, naturally no less. Not sure how clueless you were on the subject...

Quote:

Since supplements are not controlled by the FDA, could I extract my mycelium... ...and sell it.

yes you can. it is your marketing that you want to be meticulously careful with. You can not promote your product as any sort of cure. Doing so violates FDA requirements as you would then be dispensing a "drug" without a license to do so. I have heard and read many a horror story of what the FDA does to folks who unwittingly and non-maliciously marketed their homeopathic/natural/etc remedy improperly, according to FDA guidelines. Suffice it to say that FDA's interests are in protecting pharmaceutical interests and that any "competition" is stamped out with extreme force... as in guns, shootings, jailtime, confiscations, etc etc.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Nutrient broth harvest and extraction [Re: debianlinux]
    #3987045 - 03/29/05 08:05 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

So how do I go about prepping the mycelium for my extraction?

Just pluck it out and extract? I suppose there is really no reason to wash off any nutrient broth.

I think I was really over-complicating this. The methods they listed were for extracting pure or nearly pure compounds.
All I need to do is concentrate.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Nutrient broth harvest and extraction [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3991335 - 03/30/05 04:25 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

well, what i was getting at earlier is that your going to have to be specific about the compounds your reaching for or, in some cases, trying to avoid.

e.g. psilocybes: your shooting for a specific alkaloid without much else to avoid. pretty straightforward if your just wanting a concentrate (bend with OJ/lemon/ascorbic and strain well, works with substrate)

I have some information pertaining to the extraction of lentinan from shiitake and it is far more involved.

I would imagine that, in most cases, it would be most economical to stick to ground powders. Altho, I have read of pure lentinan extracts and reishi extracts marketing at what appear to be insane prices. OTOH, I have also read some compelling evidence that such "tinctures" are practically medical miracles.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Nutrient broth harvest and extraction [Re: debianlinux]
    #3992416 - 03/30/05 08:41 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

I would immaginge a conical fermentor would be useful for brewing large quontities of mushroom brew. You can buy them at brew stores.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Nutrient broth harvest and extraction [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3992887 - 03/30/05 10:37 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

I've got a couple 5 gal fermentors for beer and mead making.

If I cleaned the jug well, allowed media to cool under the flow of my hood, and inoculated at a 1:4 rate, then I think that contamination will not be able to get a hold at all.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract