Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIdxactly
journeyman

MM Filter Disks
    #395302 - 09/15/01 05:13 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

AFOAF is considering using MM filters for his next innoculation. Couple of questions:

1) Do they go directly ontop of the verm, and screwed onto the jar w/ the mason band?

2) Can the innoculation needle just go through the filter or do small holes need to be put into the filters before sterilization?

3) If yes to above, do you tape over the holes?

4) While colonizing @ 75-80F, do the jars lose their moisture through the filter?

5) How does the filter help with air exchange if the CO2 is heavy and always sinks to the bottom of the jar?

Thank you for any and all help.

--------------------
nothing I just said was true

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBigwelby
journeyman
Loc: Canada
Re: MM Filter Disks [Re: Idxactly]
    #395333 - 09/15/01 05:55 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Keep in mind i haven't grown or anything -- i'm answering from the knowledge i have of lurking around for about a month:

1) Do they go directly ontop of the verm, and screwed onto the jar w/ the mason band?

Yep.  Use the disc instead of the metal lid -- so ya just screw the band over the filter disc...reccomended that you cut the disc to size as well and not have overhang otherwise moisture can wick up the filter more easily.

2) Can the innoculation needle just go through the filter or do small holes need to be put into the filters before sterilization?

I believe ya can just poke right thru to innoculate :smile:.

3) If yes to above, do you tape over the holes?

Some peeps put a second filter on top, some just tape over the innoc. holes.  I plan to use tape.

4) While colonizing @ 75-80F, do the jars lose their moisture through the filter?

Ideally you should have an incubation chamber that is pretty well sealed...that way there won't be a lot of moisture loss due to evaporation.

5) How does the filter help with air exchange if the CO2 is heavy and always sinks to the bottom of the jar?

well there's gonna be some airflow.  the air can get around so there will be air exchange...if the jar is totally sealed the air that's in there is all you get.  I imagine its somewhat like osmosis that oxygen will leak in to replace buildups of CO2...beats me, but the proof is in their success!

OfflineIdxactly
journeyman

Re: MM Filter Disks [Re: Bigwelby]
    #395344 - 09/15/01 06:06 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you for the valuable input. My friend didn't use an incubation chamber last time . . . just left them on the counter in a dark room. Is there anything to the incubation chamber? Will a sealed rubbermaid container do the trick?

--------------------

InvisibleBigwelby
journeyman
Loc: Canada
Re: MM Filter Disks [Re: Idxactly]
    #395346 - 09/15/01 06:08 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

something like a rubbermaid with the lid on, and maybe some holes covered with MMDiscs to let clean air in for exchange...then a lot of people get submersible fish tank heaters and put a bit of water/hydro. peroxide mix in the bottom and have the fish heater keep it at a consistant temp so the jars are happy....i just bought one of the heaters last night and it's not submersible so not sure what i'm gonna do...might end up using it for my terrarium...

oh and having them not in an incubation chamber with the discs wouldn't be a problem i don't think....like there wouldn't be very much water loss at all far as i know.

Edited by Bigwelby on 09/15/01 07:10 PM.

OfflineIdxactly
journeyman

Re: MM Filter Disks [Re: Bigwelby]
    #395386 - 09/15/01 07:09 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

My friend made a water bath w/ one of those heaters and a rubbermaid container. Problem was that those cakes seemed to have dried out during the process (temp kept constant @ 86F), and he thought that the heater (which is designed to keep a 20 gallon tank warm) flash fried the jars every time it turned on.

Maybe it would work better @ temperatures around 80F, but my friend felt that the jars conducted too much heat directly to the mycelium.

--------------------

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Deleted [Re: Idxactly]
    #395405 - 09/15/01 07:29 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Content Removed.

Edited by Jared (04/01/04 01:10 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1