Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMiastor
journeyman
qualm with pressure cooking
    #393462 - 09/13/01 03:01 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

this question is probably for some of the more experienced growers in this forum, but here it goes. ive grown a few cycles off of rye berries now, and have had pretty good success. every time i do it, i pressure cook the jars at 15 psi for 60 min. the last time, though, i had extra rye and decided to experiment a little. i PCed 7 jars like normal, and i also put 7 cups of rye into a pan, mixed in the appropriate water plus a quart for evaporation. i boiled this for 15 minutes with no cover. anyways, i finished up the PCed jars, put the boiled rye into jars with filter discs, and mixed in some colonized rye. so far, all the jars, including the boiled rye ones, have colonized great, with no contamination. is this a fluke, because ive been told that its like CRITICAL that you PC the jars. is that just to be sure that they are sterile, or is it really neccesary? thanks guys

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLucid420
Loc: Houston, TX
Re: qualm with pressure cooking [Re: Miastor]
    #393466 - 09/13/01 03:06 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

The first time I grew shrooms I didn't have a pressure cooker so I had to boil everything. Everything turned out fine but it just took longer. I would think boiling only 15 min. with no cover wouldn't be long enough as I boiled my jars for an hour with a cover but I suppose 15 min could be long enough. Hope this helps you out.

OfflineGiga_Funk
    #393495 - 09/13/01 03:44 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Here goes... Its critical to pc the jars if you want minimize contaminants.. from what i understand the rye has spores encased in the rye that are very hard to kill...maybee you got lucky, maybee your house is REALLY clean....but if you boil the likelyhood of contams is increased...so sure boil and dont pressure cook...but just be prepared to lose alot more jars....

anyone else?

I believe in magick

--------------------
I believe in magick

OfflineLucid420
Loc: Houston, TX
Re: qualm with pressure cooking [Re: Giga_Funk]
    #393512 - 09/13/01 04:01 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

See I just bought my pressure cooker and I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. From what I've been told I should cook at 15 psi for 30 min when using a pf jar but what I don't know is how long does it take to cool.

OfflineMiastor
journeyman
Re: qualm with pressure cooking [Re: Lucid420]
    #393587 - 09/13/01 05:49 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

yea, i see what you guys have been told, but dont trust everything you read. knowledge comes through experience. the only reason i ask is because i didnt really steralize the working area, i have 7 jars, and no sign of contamination in any of them so far. i just boiled the grain on a high temp until it absorbed all the water it could, then packed it in the jars. yes, i know grain can contain endospores, but they would have germinated by now, so thats not the case. i dont know, i was just pointing out that PCing may not be entirely necessary.

Anonymous

#393658 - 09/13/01 07:16 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I know of a guy who had some success with absolutely no sterilization whatsoever, he was just very clean. However, if you want almost guarenteed success then a pc is the way to go. Not only can you sterilize your jars but also equipment such as tweezers, scapels and anything else you may use while making prints, etc. Also great for sterilizing jars that may have held contaminated cakes and you can even cook in it!

And you can usually find one at your local thrift store for just a couple bucks!

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.SporeLab.com
email: getspores@sporelab.com

Invisibleoscill8
*bondage fairy*
    #393672 - 09/13/01 07:28 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

miastor- remember the place you got the rye and also the brand (if there was one). the contams inherent in rye vary from supplier to supplier, from batch to batch even. so you may have had success for this reason...

honestly, HQ's never even successfully pc'd a rye jar- always had contams (wet spot). birdseed was okay- but rye always contams for her. so it varies the otehr way too :(

congrats though :)

***Please Donate Blood. American Red Cross***

--------------------
? oscill8 2001, 2002
"Any data submitted to Shroomery.org becomes our property"

Offlinesylo
addict
    #393929 - 09/13/01 11:27 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I suspect the reason why you were succesful is because you inoculated the jars with colonized rye. The mycelium was able to hit the boiled rye with a running start and overwhelm any contams. I don't think a simple boiling would be sufficient if you had inoculated with spores.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale