Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Loc: dancing in my head
Carlos Castaneda
    #3913982 - 03/13/05 10:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.castaneda.com/

According to don Juan, the world of everyday life is as mysterious and rich as anything can be. All we need to pluck its wonders is enough detachment. But more than detachment, we need affection and abandon.

is anyone into his books ???
they have changed my mind in alot of ways :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Six words: drop out, turn on, then come back and tune it in -and then drop out again, and turn on, and tune it back in-it's a rhythm- most of us think God made this universe in nature-subject object-predicate sentences-turn on, tune in, drop out- period, end of paragraph. Turn the page- it's all a rhythm- it's all a beat. You turn on, you find it inside, and then you have to come back (since you can't stay high all the time) and you have to build a better model. But don't get caught - don't get hooked - don't get attracted by the thing you're building, cause... you gotta drop out again. It's a cycle. Turn on, tune in, drop out. Keep it going, keep it going- the nervous system works that way. gotta keep it flowing- keep it flowing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Carlos Castaneda [Re: starptv23]
    #3914521 - 03/14/05 12:42 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, i have posted a few threads about some Don Juan stuff in here. Id post a link to some of the threads, but i can never remember the tags.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3915428 - 03/14/05 07:31 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Offlineschmektron
Vainglorious

Loc: Wrapped in an imbroglio
Re: Carlos Castaneda [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3916361 - 03/14/05 12:47 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I think the first Don Juan book (Teachings of Don Juan, Yaqui way of knowledge) is fairly genuine. However, I think all the subsequent books are somewhat false (Casteneda wanted to make more ca$h), which therefore makes the whole series tainted.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Carlos Castaneda [Re: schmektron]
    #3916408 - 03/14/05 01:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I loved his books.
a bit confusing but easy to identify with.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
    #3916513 - 03/14/05 01:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I agree the first one is quite interesting, but the rest seem fictional, although still mildly amusing. Thats just my opinion anyways

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Carlos Castaneda [Re: egghead1]
    #3916866 - 03/14/05 03:27 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have read them all most of them twice. I don't think they were ever represented as total fact. For many years they were published as fiction. He was not selling factual truth, but philosophy. They are multileveled in their depth and not meant to be taken literally. If you approach them in the mode of myths or fables such as Native American teaching stories there is much truth. If you are looking for verifiable fact you are looking in the wrong place.

"This book is both ethnography and allegory."
This is from the intro to the first book. Castaneda's greatest acomplishment was to inspire a generation of anthropologists and ethnographers to seriously study Native American customs and religion.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Carlos Castaneda [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3916887 - 03/14/05 03:32 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

" but the rest seem fictional,"

the story teller is the truth, the story told is fiction..

:wink: (i just don't know when to shut up? now do I)

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3916962 - 03/14/05 03:49 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

While his books have been read by many, I never knew/met/heard of a single soul who accomplished even the simplest sorcerer task after studying his texts.

they have changed my mind in alot of ways
So have Dr. Seuss' writings changed people's minds. Castaneda's books were about were about accessing non-ordinary reality.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3916993 - 03/14/05 03:56 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

In truth Casteneda has been worshipped, raped, and murdered, on this forum. Most of the stuff I have read in both camps...the for and the against is quite ill informed. Most people commenting on his work have never read any of it much less all of it. People can't seem to get past the issue of factual truth. Whether it is fact or not is beside the point. It is mostly false, but emminently true. It is entirely correct to be influenced by it as long as you remember that Don Juan was a trickster archetype...and Castaneda invented Don Juan (he did use historical models). Castaneda portrayed himself as the anti-thesis of Don Juan's teachings...and a total buffoon, but it is Castaneda who was the trickster. By the way, Carlos Castaneda never existed; Carlos Castaneda was just as much an invention as Don Juan. The factual biography of the man known as Carlos Castaneda was entirely false (even in "Who's Who")...even his name. If you understand these books you will understand and appreciate that.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Carlos Castaneda [Re: Swami]
    #3916998 - 03/14/05 03:57 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"While his books have been read by many, I never knew/met/heard of a single soul who accomplished even the simplest sorcerer task after studying his texts."

You have missed the point...did you read them? If so read them again.

"So have Dr. Seuss' writings changed people's minds"

Then they had a valid sociological impact.

--------------------

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (03/14/05 04:03 PM)

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3917260 - 03/14/05 04:53 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

schmektron said:
I think the first Don Juan book (Teachings of Don Juan, Yaqui way of knowledge) is fairly genuine. However, I think all the subsequent books are somewhat false (Casteneda wanted to make more ca$h), which therefore makes the whole series tainted.

I actually believe the opposite. The first book was drivel compared to the rest. It hooked me to the series when i was 15, mainly via the drug appeal. After "a seperate reality" there is very little drug talk or action and it focuses more on the philosophical aspects of shamanism.
Also, Dr. Seuss made very many valid points on morality and ethics. Just read the Lorax.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Carlos Castaneda [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3917439 - 03/14/05 05:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I found "Journey to Ixtlan" to be the most important to me. It helped me to define my personal mythology.

--------------------

OfflineWildRunner
Obey little,Resist much

Loc: Where the wild things are
    #3917467 - 03/14/05 05:23 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I just finished reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Easy read, I read it in like 3 days, but it was really a good read.
Recommended. :thumbup:

--------------------
If you dont know where you're going, any road will take you there.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #3950999 - 03/21/05 08:50 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
In truth Casteneda has been worshipped, raped, and murdered, on this forum. Most of the stuff I have read in both camps...the for and the against is quite ill informed. Most people commenting on his work have never read any of it much less all of it. People can't seem to get past the issue of factual truth. Whether it is fact or not is beside the point. It is mostly false, but emminently true. It is entirely correct to be influenced by it as long as you remember that Don Juan was a trickster archetype...and Castaneda invented Don Juan (he did use historical models). Castaneda portrayed himself as the anti-thesis of Don Juan's teachings...and a total buffoon, but it is Castaneda who was the trickster. By the way, Carlos Castaneda never existed; Carlos Castaneda was just as much an invention as Don Juan. The factual biography of the man known as Carlos Castaneda was entirely false (even in "Who's Who")...even his name. If you understand these books you will understand and appreciate that.

I couldn't agree more. I have read the first four books over twenty times in the last 27+ years, and I have been changed by them. I never worry about the trivial discussions about did he or didn't he.
There is truth there for those willing to take that kind of challenge. That's the only important thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
While his books have been read by many, I never knew/met/heard of a single soul who accomplished even the simplest sorcerer task after studying his texts.
------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean tasks like taking responsibility? Using death as an advisor? Turning you're life into a path with heart? Not indulging? ect.

You're hanging out with the wrong crowd. I know some who never read the books,who have accomplished these things.
The Power Plants in themselves can put you on that path.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Carlos Castaneda [Re: Icelander]
    #3952002 - 03/22/05 12:08 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

"You mean tasks like taking responsibility? Using death as an advisor? Turning you're life into a path with heart? Not indulging? ect."
Awesome point. I myself have accomplished these acts of sorcery. Finally, someone who got it.

--------------------

Offlinea_h_w
Stranger
    #3952583 - 03/22/05 07:43 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

yes! to be stuck in the 'is this fiction or not?' question is to miss completely the nature of these texts and the messages they convey.

but the real strange thing for me was how reading castaneda books started to influence my trips to an extensive degree.

some books I couldn't find in english so I started reading in spanish. I've stop reading now, but for some time every time I tripped I would start speaking in spanish with myself, my thoughts constructing in spanish, a weird feeling pervading the experience, and somehow the feeling that I was entering in the field of sorcery, like one time I was sitting on the couch not feeling very well, until the thought crossed my mind that I was being "attacked" and had to dance in a particular way throughout the living room so as to win the territory back, which proved effective, but I don't like any of this stuff so I quit on all that and moved elsewhere in my mind.

I don't like to use entheogens as a means to communicate with the dead or the underworld.
I like to use them to communicate with life, to find new worlds of beauty, fantasy and love.

Invisibledorkus
Re: Carlos Castaneda *DELETED* [Re: a_h_w]
    #3984751 - 03/29/05 10:38 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Post deleted by dorkus

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Carlos Castaneda [Re: dorkus]
    #3984829 - 03/29/05 11:01 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Castaneda performed a societally-useful function for getting our confused youth onto a path of clarity via datura ingestion.

"Just say 'Huh?' to datura."

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Carlos Castaneda [Re: Swami]
    #3986286 - 03/29/05 05:34 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

"Castaneda performed a societally-useful function for getting our confused youth onto a path of clarity via datura ingestion."

Anyone stupid enough to ingest a poisonous substance because they saw it in a book is an idiot. I thought the movie "The Matrix" was cool, but I don't go around trying to plug electrical wires into my head. Similarly I enjoyed "Natural Born Killers", but I don't go around wasting people with shotguns. I loved the book Dracula....but I don't think I am a vampire...hell, I don't even believe in them. And finally, I read the Bible, but I have not attempted genocide, built an ark, walked on water, sacrificed my son, or thought I was the anti-Christ....I'm not even a Christian. Anyone who casually ingests Datura in such a naive fashion is a prime candidate for a Darwin Award.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder