Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineizlude
Stranger
Stinky feet smell?
    #391221 - 09/11/01 12:07 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I just harvested my first crop today. I couldn't smell anything really strong through the verm layer, but when I took the cakes out of the jars, they kind of had a sour, sweaty gym sock smell... is this normal? You can't really smell it unless you put your nose up to the cakes. I've noticed a couple iffy contam spots on the cakes but I'm not really sure if they're contamed or not. Any ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Stinky feet smell? [Re: izlude]
    #391248 - 09/11/01 12:32 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Sour smell normaly indicates contamination, separate good cakes from bad ones. One thing i can?t understand, you say you had your first crop then you say you took the cakes out of the jars, are using invitro ?

Peace,
MAIA

"Houston, we have a problem... shrooms are over "
=)Free&Spread the Spores(=
Support the FSR

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Loc: NV
    #391251 - 09/11/01 12:34 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Ya, I had noticed that smell, which at first I thought was a brown sugary smell, in a bunch of jars that a foaf had that didn't colonize after over two weeks. I think he had a bunk syringe and the smell is just the wet smell of the rice flour. He tried to re-sterilize and ended up just pitching them out of caution, but now he notices that same smell every time he cooks up a new batch. I think its just the flour. However, I posted about this in contams forum and someone told me that the stinky feet smell could be yeast, which could or could not hurt your girls, depending on the type. Hope that helps :).

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #391252 - 09/11/01 12:38 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like it might be a bacterial contamination. Its' not normal. What do your contam spots look like?

Offlineizlude
Stranger
    #391283 - 09/11/01 01:11 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

MAIA: Yeah, I'm using the invitro tek.
puscle: the spots are just small patches of greenish-greyish-bluish spots here and there. I'm a little hesitant now, this being my first venture and all. I did shake the jars around a little bit last night trying to promote some O2 circulation, not realizing that it would terribly bruise all the cakes in the process. Seems like I'm kind of up shit creek now. Live and learn I guess... I'm thinking maybe I'll just keep some of the larger shrooms and take a small dose for experimental purposes, then toss the cakes out and start over. But then again, a case of the pukes and shits doesn't sound too pleasant, either.

OfflineBBShrizz
enthusiast
    #391319 - 09/11/01 01:41 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

jars that have been cooked but not inoculated will have that honey-brown sugar smell. if it's not sour and nasty and if you don't see anything wrong with it, it was probably a bunk syringe.

Offlinezhukov
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
    #391981 - 09/12/01 01:31 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Hey izlude, I had this happen to one of 6 cakes once.
Couldn't work it out either until I realised that this one cake had a couple of water droplets on the top, probably from sitting too close to the drip shield at the narrow end of the terrarium; and it stank like dirty feet just the same... 

Sorry mate :frown:, but I think that it is possibly water contam - I isolated my smelly cake, but it only got worse and I had to chuck it in the end.
The right smell should be a nice mushroomy/earthy smell, without anything sour anywhere.

Serge the Baby Harp Seal - Scourge of the FashionIndustry
'He's funny and he's furry and a Psy-cho-path!'

Offlineizlude
Stranger
Re: Stinky feet smell? [Re: zhukov]
    #392453 - 09/12/01 03:14 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, pretty much all my jars had that same stench o' shit so I just decided to play it safe and chuck em all. What a terrible waste...

Offlinezhukov
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
    #393155 - 09/13/01 07:30 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Really sorry to hear that...:(...did you work out if it was water droplets??  'Cos if it was, at least you can know that your innoculation & sterilisation techniques were ok; so next time just keep an eye out for any drips, and make sure the cakes clear the shield by a fair enough distance....good luck for next time :wink:

Serge the Baby Harp Seal - Scourge of the FashionIndustry
'He's funny and he's furry and a Psy-cho-path!'

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract