Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Help! Mold? Or worse?...
    #3906642 - 03/12/05 10:53 AM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Hi,
I'm a first time grower and I'm currently growing oyster mushies. I noticed some white fuzz growing prolific-ally. Is this anything to be concerned about? The pink stuff is the pink oyster pins. The fuzz is on the cakes where they touch the wood chips. Pics below.
Thanks,
Aguy

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by AguyIssaman (03/12/05 11:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Help! Mold? Or worse?... [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #3907890 - 03/12/05 03:16 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Looks to me like the cake is starting to grow into the chips. . .no surprise with something as aggressive as oysters. Why are the cakes on the chips like that? Are you trying to fruit the cakes? Do you have a reason for not crumbling the cakes with the chips? Fruiting will be stopped/slowed if the mycelium discovers a new source of food and goes into vegetative growth mode.

**edit again--It's a little hard to tell for sure, but I think those pink areas do look like primordia! Nice job! Interesting that it's fruiting while growing into new substrate. . .aggressive little bugger.

Edited by Suntzu (03/12/05 03:22 PM)

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Re: Help! Mold? Or worse?... [Re: Suntzu]
    #3910254 - 03/13/05 01:22 AM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Thanks for the fedback.
I'm growing the oysters on woodchips because I've been told that they grow on wood and that that is the best environment for oysters. Also, I've been told not to touch them (I assume this means not even to break them apart...) Yes, I'm trying to fruit them as cakes. I've been told this is the easiest method with the least possibillity for cantams. I was also told that touching the cakes may introduce bad stuff (condusive to contams) and that touching them might possibly bruise/injure the mycelium as well. Although, the person who has been helping me has admitted that this is the first time he's grown oysters himself, although he has prior experience with other varieties. Needless to say I'm not feeling 'completely' confident in this experiment. The pink oysters seem to be pinning nicely, the blue oysters and phoenix oysters have yet to show promise...accept for the aggressive fuzzy growth and white mycelium. should I be doing something different? I am concerned that the chips might be too wet and could pose a possible threat to productive fruiting. The pink oysters are pretty aggressive but the blue and phoenix appear to be more hesitant. I'm using pearlite beneath the wood chips to retain humidity but the wood chips seem awefully wet and the fuzzy growth at the base of the cakes seems very agressive. I have them in a clear plastic rubbermaid container, with the included lid, and wrapped in a blanket. I have a fluorescent grow light on them with a timer set to 12 on and 12 off (from my own -internet- reasearch I've found that they like the blue light spectrum in the range of 480nm). The thermometer shows a fluctuating range of 70-80 degrees F in the growth chamber. I'll get a hygrometer this weekend. I fan them once every couple of days during the on cycle for oxygen exchange. I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to complete this experiment successfully.
Thanks,
Aguy.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by AguyIssaman (03/13/05 02:02 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder