Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox
    #3894487 - 03/09/05 07:12 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...crosoft_xbox_dc

Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox

Wed Mar 9, 3:40 PM ET Technology - Reuters

By Ben Berkowitz

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) on Wednesday gave some of the first key details on the next generation of its Xbox (news - web sites) video game system, which will include an emphasis on high-definition content, an integrated media browser and "microtransactions" for in-game purchases.

In a speech at the Game Developers Conference here, J Allard, the Microsoft executive overseeing the software development tools for the new Xbox, said the new streamlined interface would help draw more users to the platform.

"We've got to create a consistent experience so that consumers can enter our worlds much more easily," he told a packed convention center audience. "If we want to get to 10 or 20 million subscribers we've got to create some consistency."

Microsoft is expected to release the new Xbox in time for the 2005 holidays, but the company has kept mum so far on both timing and the name of the new device.

Among the features Allard demonstrated was an on-screen "Gamer Card" that gives information other players can see on a gamer's location, achievements in various games, time playing specific games and level of skill.

Other features include a custom music player and a "store" where players could make small purchases, for pennies or a few dollars, of new characters, parts for virtual racing cars and the like.

The theme of Allard's speech was the "HD Era," which he described as a time when all games are in high-definition, players are constantly connected through mobile phones, instant messaging and the Internet and gamers can personalize their environments to suit their tastes.

"The HD consumer needs more than a hi-definition Super Bowl," Allard said. "The opportunity is real and now, but make no mistake we have the power to blow it."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox *DELETED* [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3894506 - 03/09/05 07:17 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

--------------------

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox [Re: blink]
    #3894555 - 03/09/05 07:24 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

I think I'll make the first popular open source console.

--------------------
delta9

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox [Re: delta9]
    #3894764 - 03/09/05 07:58 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

So I'm going to drop probably 200 on a game console, 50 bucks on a game, and then pay for more parts of the game after i buy it huh? um... I think not.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox [Re: lackobreath]
    #3894854 - 03/09/05 08:16 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Uh?  Are you talking to me?  The open source console would be cheap and easy to build at home, cheap to buy ready made from my company, the OS would be free, and many of the games. :confused:

--------------------
delta9

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
    #3895471 - 03/09/05 10:21 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

lackobreath said:
So I'm going to drop probably 200 on a game console, 50 bucks on a game, and then pay for more parts of the game after i buy it huh? um... I think not.

Not to mention that will be way open to Hackers, especially if real money is involved!

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox [Re: Its Pat]
    #3895660 - 03/09/05 10:53 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Tens of thousands of people bought Ultima Online, pay a monthly fee to use it, and you can buy tons of shit for it on Ebay, or Yahoo Groups.

People are just into their games, I guess....

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox [Re: delta9]
    #3895885 - 03/09/05 11:38 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

nah, delta, i was referring to the new details of the xbox.

InvisibleEvilEwok
Stranger
    #3896200 - 03/10/05 12:37 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

If companies think I will pay "service fees" after I chuck down 50 bucks for a game they are sadly mistaken.

Unfortunately this is where i think the game industry is headed (or at least Sony and Microsoft want it to be).

It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay a monthly fee or any fee for that matter to play a game.

Oh yeah another thing that makes me mad is all this online bullshit. I couldn't give a rats ass about online games.
Am I the only one who dislikes online gaming?
Actually I don't dislike online gaming I just hate when they put all the effort into online instead of making a stellar single player game. Halo 2 is a shining example of this. Conkers bad fur day for xbox is also a good example. (not out yet)

--------------------
Now go Home.

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox [Re: EvilEwok]
    #3897801 - 03/10/05 01:11 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

If companies think I will pay "service fees" after I chuck down 50 bucks for a game they are sadly mistaken.

Exactly, thats why I have yet to try any of the monthy subscription based games out there. Its just another way for the companies to make more money. Fucking capitalist company greed.

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
    #3898581 - 03/10/05 03:56 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Among the features Allard demonstrated was an on-screen "Gamer Card" that gives information other players can see on a gamer's location, achievements in various games, time playing specific games and level of skill.

Other features include a custom music player and a "store" where players could make small purchases, for pennies or a few dollars, of new characters, parts for virtual racing cars and the like.

Those "Features" are crap and mainly serve a profiting purpose.
I don't want features, I want games that are bigger and look better and a system that has no(noticeable) loading times.
Also a new system should be cartridge(memory card) based and not a CD system.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3898984 - 03/10/05 05:10 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

meh

the technical details of the xbox 2 are very nice.. i heard the details many months ago since my brother is developing for them.

I, for one, will not support MS so long as they have a pay-as-you-go approach

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox [Re: vampirism]
    #3902384 - 03/11/05 11:35 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

hopfuly they continue the Harddrive idea.. That was briliant.

Offlineblkhole
Comfortably Numb

Loc: Tinpan Alley
    #3914039 - 03/13/05 10:43 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Not all of those games have the fee just to make the company more $. Lots of them update the games monthly (Asheron's Call, Ultima, Everquest) and need to pay thier designers to constantly create new content. On top of that they have to pay for servers and all of that stuff.

Xbox to me is completely different, there should NOT be extra charges for that stuff, especially since they charge so much for the console alone.

PS: Don't get into the MMORPG games, they're fun but extremely addictive. I played a couple of them and they ruined my social life during the time I played. They're like drugs(the bad ones).

--------------------
With our love, we could save the world, if they only knew...
-George Harrison R.I.P.

http://irevolution.org

InvisibleEvilEwok
Stranger
Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox [Re: blkhole]
    #3914330 - 03/13/05 11:58 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Yeah MMORPG's suck once you figure out your a loser and no one cares what level your elf is.

Honestly thats why I dislike online games there's no sense of acomplishment. You can keep playing forever and for what exactly?

Where as a game like Zelda you can play it then beat it. Then maybe perhaps collect the heart pieces you missed, after that you can "move on" to other things. Becuase you can rest easy on the fact that your as best as you can be at that game.

In online game there can only be 1 out of tens of thousands that are the "best". But most people want to be the best at everything they do, especially when a level playing field is involved such as video games. There is no excuse why you can't be the best becuase everyone has same equipment (more or less).

So people keep playing... and playing and playing and playing.

Before you know it you look like this guy.

--------------------
Now go Home.

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox [Re: blkhole]
    #3922801 - 03/15/05 08:13 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

"Xbox to me is completely different, there should NOT be extra charges for that stuff, especially since they charge so much for the console alone."
from what I heard, they were actually selling the hardware at a loss for quite a while...maybe they still are, i don't know.

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox [Re: EvilEwok]
    #3922817 - 03/15/05 08:16 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

That's pretty much exactly how it is with video games. It's a false sense of accomplishment.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Microsoft Gives First Key Details on New Xbox [Re: funkymonk]
    #3924812 - 03/16/05 09:23 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

UT accomplishment: FRAG MORE ! :grin:

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom