Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDK1
Male
Cutting Cakes in Half
    #3883205 - 03/07/05 03:22 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

I have 10 pint jars fully colonized. I don't plan on casing them, they will just be fruited right away. However I was wondering if it would be wise to cut the cakes in half and then I would have 20 half pint cakes. So basically are 10 pint cakes better than 20 half pint cakes?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Cutting Cakes in Half [Re: DK1]
    #3883214 - 03/07/05 03:24 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

jus leave em whole, cuttiong them will only damage the myc and open up a possible door for contams

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
Re: Cutting Cakes in Half [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #3883269 - 03/07/05 03:35 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

dunk them bitches and roll them or double end case them cold shock cold shock

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

InvisibleDK1
Male
    #3883514 - 03/07/05 04:34 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

lordoftheshroomz said:
jus leave em whole, cuttiong them will only damage the myc and open up a possible door for contams

They're fully colonized cakes, chances of contam are slim to none. One time when I picked a shroomie off of a cake there was a cat hair underneath it where the shroom started to grow and there were no contams on any cakes. I have read varying responses from people whether to cut or not. So far there's no real clear answer I guess. Some people have cut their half pint cakes into halves and have reported more growth. I have pints.

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3884220 - 03/07/05 07:39 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

I would not recommend it, but hell it's your loss if they get contam so go ahead. Or you could just try it with one or two of the cakes and keep them seperated from the whole ones just in case there is contamination. And then if it works with those couple of ones, then you can do it with all of them the next time.

Offlinebanda1825
science project
 User Gallery

#3884246 - 03/07/05 07:46 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

lordoftheshroomz said:

totally agree.

--------------------
It's all about science project.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Cutting Cakes in Half [Re: banda1825]
    #3884259 - 03/07/05 07:49 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Yea....You should yield as much,it may have more area but you should get 2nd and 3rd flushes that compensate for that, hope that i anwsered your Q in full...

And i agree with them also :smirk:

Gl

-Gnostic

Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Florida
Re: Cutting Cakes in Half [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3884414 - 03/07/05 08:20 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

check the forums on sporelab.com, one of the posters there gets about 1.5 ounces off 9 half pint cakes cut in half, making 18 half-cakes. He puts them on tinfoil on perlite, and sprinkles wet verm. He does better with the half cakes than with casings.

--------------------
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk ...four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Cutting Cakes in Half [Re: shroommachine]
    #3884652 - 03/07/05 09:06 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Maybe b/c he's better at cakes than casings.
Cakes are great and i've seen them put casings to shame...
But Agar can make anyone look dumb with his insane casings....

Its all about sub., not area, damn lol.

-Gnostic

InvisibleDK1
Male
Re: Cutting Cakes in Half [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3902376 - 03/11/05 11:33 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Never had a contam yet *Crosses fingers*

OfflineDarkie
Bitches n hoes dont mean a thing
 User Gallery

#3903569 - 03/11/05 02:53 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

IGnosticAbhorI is right. If you are just gonna fruit the cakes cutting them in half wont help. It will cut down on 3 things. 1) The ammount of nutrients available to the mycelia over X period of time resulting in smaller shrooms. Think of cutting some of the roots off a plant. 2) The ammount of nutrients available over the full period of time resulting in fewer flushes. Think of removing some dirt from a pot a plant is growing in. 3) The ammount of moister retained by the cake and thus available to the mycelia. Think of cutting a sponge in half. The cake will also dry out faster because of more surface area resulting in stalled flushes between dunks.

Casing isnt that hard and would be the only good reason to cut/break them up. Throw some verm and peat moss in the oven at 245 for 15minutes then mix with some sterile h2o2 water, put an inch in the bottom of any water resistant container, then the mycelia and then some 50/50 verm peat. It'll take you 20 minutes and cost about 10$ more for your ammount of cakes. Dont be surprised if your production shoots up though.

--------------------
You gotta wake up to get faded but you gotta get up to get paided.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies