Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
Test your knowledge of gun control:
    #386763 - 09/06/01 01:26 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Test your knowledge of gun control:

If these people had assault weapons, they would probably (check all that apply):

___ rob liquor stores
___ engage in drive-by shootings
___ leave them lying around where their kids could find them
___ blow away motorists during traffic disputes
___ go on schoolyard rampages
___ accidentally kill friends and family members
___ none of the above

Might there be a moral, historically justified need for "non-sporting" arms in the hands of "average citizens?" The next time someone tells you we need to ban "assault weapons," ask them to take this test. Why not send a copy of it to the politicians who represent you and see how they answer ?

By David Codrea

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhyl
old hand
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Test your knowledge of gun control: [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #386787 - 09/06/01 02:19 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Surley the issue is not how specific individuals would behave, but the overall effect on society. Responsible people will always exist, but so will irresponsible people.

Is it better to remove the firearms from the irresponsible people by banning them outright, or do you allow people to have firearms accepting that some people will misuse them in the ways you have mentioned above?

Personally I would support a ban as I live in a country where firearms are already illegal, and this has only positive effects. Whether this would work in America though, I don't know.

Take care

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Re: Test your knowledge of gun control: [Re: Phyl]
    #386806 - 09/06/01 03:28 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Well Phyl, your support for gun control is held by a lot of distinguished types too. Here's some examples:

Adolf Hitler ~~~~~~~ Joseph Stalin ~ Mao Tse Tung ~~~ Pol Pot

Like you, these men supported gun control.

Only positive effects from gun control eh? If you're in the UK you have drastically increased street crime since the gun ban. The yardies are the only ones armed over there aren't they? Aren't ordinary citizens unable to adaquatly protect themselves?

--------------------

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

#386809 - 09/06/01 03:33 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

PS

If you ever stay up at night thinking about what could happen without a gun maybe this poster can help you sleep better, just print it up poster size and stick it in your window.

Pleasant dreams.

Take care, RG

--------------------

OfflinePhyl
old hand
    #386814 - 09/06/01 03:43 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

If you're in the UK you have drastically increased street crime since the gun ban.
LOL... There may be drastically incrased street crime, but hardly any of it involves guns in any way shape or form. Most street crime is related to the prohibition of addictive drugs.

The yardies are the only ones armed over there aren't they?
The 'Yardies' do have guns. They will also have guns if there is no gun control. This is not an issue of gun control but the social circumatances that put them there in the first place.
Gun control is not 100% effective, nobody claimed it is, but I believe it does have many benefits. Compare figures for gun related crimes, and shooting in the UK to those in the US or in other countries where guns are openly on sale, and you'll see what I mean.

Aren't ordinary citizens unable to adaquatly protect themselves?
Yes they are. 'Ordinary' citizens do not need guns to protect themselves, as it's extremely rare that they would ever be threatened with a gun.
Those people who do come into contact with guns, and need guns to protect themselves are definately not 'Ordinary' citizens.

I'm not saying gun control would work in the US. For a system like that to work, it needs the support of the public, and I believe there are far too many people attached to their guns in the US for it to work. I am simply pointing out that it can be sucessful.

Take care

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

#386821 - 09/06/01 04:00 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I agree gun control works. But what it works to do is to keep law abiding citizens from being able to defend themselves. This is how gun control in the UK, europe, and OZ works:

When legal firearms are removed from the ownership of ordinary people crime increases.

Newcastle, in the north of England is now the most dangerous city in the industrialized world. Britians home office, more of less equivelant to our Justice Department reports that "incidence of violence against the person" which includes aggravated assult, rape, and murder, are the highest in Newcastle with a rate of 236.5 per 1,000 residents.
Home burglaries and auto thefts occur 50 percent more frequently in Britain than in the U.S. Even worse is there is 75 percent more rapes in Britain than in the U.S., even though Britain has only about 25 percent of our population.

--------

You have 75% more rapes and 25% of the citizens. Wow, nothing like unarmed women to rape, is there? It nice to know that your victim is unarmed and unable to stop you from violating, robbing, or killing them! It's great to be a crook in the UK isn't it? You bet!

Bottom line. We have slightly more homicides and a lot less of all the other types of violent crimes. And the criminals are the only ones that are armed. It works all right! It works to increase crime and create infinatly more potential victims of all types of crime.

Take care, RG

--------------------

OfflinePhyl
old hand
    #386824 - 09/06/01 04:21 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Newcastle, in the north of England is now the most dangerous city in the industrialized world. Britians home office, more of less equivelant to our Justice Department reports that "incidence of violence against the person" which includes aggravated assult, rape, and murder, are the highest in Newcastle with a rate of 236.5 per 1,000 residents.
Home burglaries and auto thefts occur 50 percent more frequently in Britain than in the U.S. Even worse is there is 75 percent more rapes in Britain than in the U.S., even though Britain has only about 25 percent of our population.

You're somewhat missing the point. These crimes do not generally involve guns.

Britain does have a problem with crime though - 98% of burglaries and other thefts are related to drug prohibition. Assaults are related to the culture of binge drinking. Auto thefts are related to bordom and lack of facilities for youths. Rape is a product of our warped society.

Having open access to guns does nothing to address the underlying causes of these problems, and rather than solving the problem would divert them to another area. Treating the symptoms of any problem will not solve it if the cause remains unaddressed.

Take care

OfflineMrKurtz
enthusiast
    #386832 - 09/06/01 04:43 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

i would like to point out that we don't have "a few more homicides", we have 7 times as many per 100,000 people.

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Re: Test your knowledge of gun control: [Re: MrKurtz]
    #386838 - 09/06/01 04:57 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Ok here's the most recent comparison of murder rates I can find:

U.S. and International Murder Rates Compared

Suicide and Homicide Rates in 86 Nations
The accompanying table gives suicide and homicide rates for all 86 nations for which data are available. Rates are per 100,000 population and come from the United Nations 1996 Demographic Yearbook published in 1998. Note that the latest U.S. suicide rate (for 1997) is 11.1, slightly below the 11.9 listed, while the 1997 U.S. homicide rate is 7.4 (as reported by the National Center for Health Statistics), far below the 9.4 listed here. Figures exceeding published U.S. figures are starred, while those exceeding only the most recent (1997) U.S. figures are doubly starred. The 1997 U.S. figures are preliminary. For a more contemporaneous comparison, the singly starred figures should be stressed.

(RATES PER 100,000 POPULATION)

Nation Suicide Homicide
Albania 2.1 5.5
Argentina 6.6 4.4
Austria 22.2* 1.0
Azerbaijan 0.7 8.9**
Bahamas 1.2 10.8*
Bahrain 3.1 0.4
Barbados 6.4 6.4
Balarus 27.9* 10.4*
Belgium 18.7* 1.7
Brazil 3.5 19.0*
Bulgaria 17.3* 19.0*
Canada 13.4* 1.7
Cape Verde 2.4 1.7
Chile 5.7 2.9
China 17.6* 1.4
Colombia 3.5 80.0*
Costa Rica 5.0 5.6
Croatia 22.8* 3.3
Cuba 20.3* 7.8**
Czech Republic 18.6* 2.1
Denmark 22.3* 4.9
Dominican Republic 2.1 4.8
Ecuador 4.8 13.4*
Egypt 0.0 0.5
El Salvador 8.9 27.4*
Estonia 40.1* 22.2*
Finland 27.2* 2.9
France 20.8* 1.1
Georgia 3.6 2.8
Germany 15.8* 1.1
Greece 3.3 1.3
Guatemala 0.5 1.3
Guyana 1.7 0.3
Hong Kong 11.8** 1.2
Hungary 32.9* 3.5
Iceland 9.4 0.4
Ireland 9.1 0.6
Isle of Man 9.9 1.4
Israel 6.5 1.4
Italy 8.2 1.7
Japan 16.7* 0.6
Kazakhstan 28.6* 19.4*
Korea, South 9.4 1.6
Kuwait 1.9 1.7
Kyrgyzstan 13.4* 12.1*
Latvia 40.7* 18.2*
Lithuania 45.6* 11.7*
Luxembourg 15.4* 0.7
Macao 6.1 3.7
Malta 4.1 0.8
Martinique 12.8* 4.3
Mauritius 1.4 0.2
Mexico 3.2 17.2*
Moldova 18.4* 16.5*
Netherlands 9.8 1.2
New Zealand 14.7* 2.0
Nicaragua 3.3 5.5
Norway 12.3* 0.8
Panama 3.0 5.2
Paraguay 2.3 9.8*
Philippines 1.3 11.5*
Poland 14.2* 2.8
Portugal 8.2 1.7
Puerto Rico 8.8 23.8*
Romania 12.3* 4.1
Russia 41.2* 30.6*
Sao Tome 1.1 15.1*
Singapore 13.4* 1.8
Slovenia 28.4* 2.4
Spain 8.1 0.9
Suriname 12.9* 1.5
Sweden 15.3* 1.0
Switzerland 21.4* 2.7
Tajikistan 3.7 10.4*
Trinidad 11.8** 11.7*
Turkmenistan 5.3 4.0
Ukraine 22.5* 11.3*
United Kingdom 8.0 0.9
United States (as per the United Nations) 11.9 9.4
U.S.A. (as per the U.S. Dept. of Justice, 1997) 11.1 7.0***
Uruguay 10.3 4.4
Uzbekistan 6.2 4.3
Venezuela 5.1 15.7*
Yugoslavia 15.3* 2.0
Zimbabwe 7.5 6.9

*Figures exceeding U.S. figures at time of publication.
**Figures exceeding most recent (1997) U.S. figures, shown in parentheses.
***This rate decreased by over 7 percent in 1998 to 6.3
Source: United Nations 1996 Demographic Yearbook published in 1998

Japan vs. the United States: murder and suicide rates
Japan's murder rate averages 0.6 per 100,000, but its suicide rate is 16.7, for a combined rate of 17.3 per 100,000. The U.S. murder rate averages 7.0 per 100,000, and the suicide rate is 11.1, for a combined total of 18.1 per 100,000. Thus, the combined murder and suicide rates in Japan and the U.S. are nearly equal even though firearms are virtually non-existent in Japan. (Source: National Safety Council's 1997 Accident Facts and the United Nations' 1996 Demographic Yearbook)

--------------------

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

#386863 - 09/06/01 06:50 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

A) Gun Control did not cause the Holocaust.
B) Just because some bad people supported the same thing I do (gun control), that doesn't make it a bad thing. One political idea does not make an entire regime.
C) Not many females carry guns in the US. Honestly, if I was fucked up enough to rape a girl, I wouldn't worry about her having a gun. My worries would be in the form of getting caught. If I was worried about a weapon at all, it would be mace. Not to mention most cases of rape are by people you know. Which would make it less likely for a girl to even shoot a rapist, I would think.
D) Comparing different stats for different countries completely ignores the fact that these are different cultures, different places, with different people in different situations. My point being? It doesn't really mean that much for either side.

http://www.captainjackmusic.com

--------------------
-
Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

OfflineoDin
Re: Test your knowledge of gun control: [Re: Captain Jack]
    #387186 - 09/06/01 04:57 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

"Comparing different stats for different countries completely ignores the fact that these are different cultures, different places, with different people in different situations. My point being? It doesn't really mean that much for either side."

exactly...so why does everyone compare the US to europe as such? only when its suits their needs. I have a hard time when a person of a different culture is off sayin how we (USA) need gun control....and also when said person is from a different culture within the USA. I say if thats what some person from NYC wants so be it. but leave me and my state out of it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
fuck bellarus...everyone is bitching about someone else...didnt want to get left behind

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

Re: Test your knowledge of gun control: [Re: oDin]
    #387336 - 09/06/01 08:00 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Well, if we're going to split into different cultural groups, states within the US is not an appropriate manner either. Views within each state vary just as wildly as they do nation wide. I certainly don't agree with a lot of the actions taken by the Virginia government.

So why can't we fight the gun issue on a national level?

(by the way, I try to avoid even favorable comparisons to other culture's stats).

http://www.captainjackmusic.com

--------------------
-
Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

#387609 - 09/07/01 12:14 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

If you're a European that wants gun control in the USA I've got one question for you. Are you from the part of Europe whos' ass we kicked, or are you from the part of Europe whos' ass we saved?

--------------------

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

#387646 - 09/07/01 01:17 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Captain Jack,

I disagree with you. Gun control / gun confiscation was a factor contributing to the holocaust. There is a common history held by a lot more of genocides than just the german holocaust of world war two.

Among others these Nanking residents might disagree with you.

In mid-December, 1937, the Japanese army invaded China and overran Nanking. They disarmed its one million inhabitants, then embarked on a six-week campaign of terror, bloodshed and death.

Nanking's helpless citizens were subjected to the most heinous abuse: the fortunate ones were used for bayonet practice, decapitated in beheading contests, burned to death, or machine-gunned by the tens of thousands. They were fortunate because they died quickly.

The unfortunate ones were tortured to death, buried alive or subjected to deadly "medical experiments." Tens of thousands of young girls, pregnant women -- even elderly grandmothers -- were brutally and repeatedly raped, often until they hemorrhaged to death, or were mutilated in unspeakable fashions. Unborn babies were hacked out of wombs and bayoneted for sport.

The Japanese army killed up to 500,000 innocent Nanking residents. Japan has yet to acknowledge, not to mention atone for, this atrocity.

Think about this the next time Japan and other civilized societies suggests that ordinary citizens should not be armed.

--------------------

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

#387649 - 09/07/01 01:20 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Gun Control:
Legacy of Blood

Turkey established gun control in 1911. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

The Soviet Union established gun control in 1929. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938. From 1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews and other "undesirables" who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million "educated" people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Gun control didn't make any of the 56 million (that's 56,000,000) people exterminated in the Twentieth Century safer. Gun Control didn't protect the 16,914 Americans murdered in 1998, or the 18,208 murdered in 1997, either.

Gun control simply created millions of disarmed, defenseless victims.

Gun control kills.

--------------------

OfflinePhyl
old hand
    #387687 - 09/07/01 02:24 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

It makes absoloutly no difference to me whether you have gun control or not. I wasn't saying that you need it, but that despite what you think it CAN work effectivly with the support of the public.

My major problem was with you saying WE need to abolish gun control for the good of OUR country, which is totally hypocritical when you bash others for having opinions on America.

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

#387698 - 09/07/01 03:20 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Phyl, sorry if pressing gun legalization in the UK is the the impression you got from me. I didn't mean anything I said to be hypocritical. I apolagize if it was. Lets just forget about that and continue our debate, you're very intelligent and I enjoy the discussion we've been having.

Let's examine the effect of gun control on crimes committed with gun and other weapons.

You said,'You're somewhat missing the point. These crimes do not generally involve guns.'

I would bet that they involved some other type of weapon just as often as they would have used a gun if guns were widely available. I don't have stats available on the use of various weapons in violent crime in the UK but I do for the US. It should parallel for the UK though, with slight differences.

Since 1996 the use of knives in commision of violent crimes has been on the rise, This coorosponds to the drop in crimes committed with guns. The knives take up the slack from guns.

You said,'Britain does have a problem with crime though - 98% of burglaries and other thefts are related to drug prohibition. Assaults are related to the culture of binge drinking. Auto thefts are related to bordom and lack of facilities for youths. Rape is a product of our warped society.

Having open access to guns does nothing to address the underlying causes of these problems, and rather than solving the problem would divert them to another area. Treating the symptoms of any problem will not solve it if the cause remains unaddressed.'

Well on the same note, not allowing firearms also does nothing to address the underlying problems, and rather than solving the problem merely diverts it to another area. Gun control does not solve violence or even effectivly treat it. Rather it causes it to increase by creating a populace unable to effectivly protect itself from those elements of society that wish to commit violent crimes.

Tell a woman in an ER that her rapist didn't use a gun as she cries her heart out to the doctor and police. Will that comfort her in her grief? No. But if she had been empowered with a firearm, the skill to employ it effectivly in defence, and a concealed carry permit the whole tragedy might have been averted by the death or serious injury to the would be rapist. And that would be an infinatly better outcome than a helpless innocent ladie being brutally raped.

Take care, RG

--------------------

OfflinePhyl
old hand
    #387704 - 09/07/01 04:27 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I would bet that they involved some other type of weapon just as often as they would have used a gun if guns were widely available.
This is true if you include fists as a weapon, but my opinion on this is that the less guns are used the better. By allowing guns to be available to all, they will be put into situations where they are currently very rare, and thus make the situation worse.

If I was ever in a situation where I was threatened, I would much rather be thretened by a knife or with fists than by a gun.

Well on the same note, not allowing firearms also does nothing to address the underlying problems, and rather than solving the problem merely diverts it to another area.
Agreed it does nothing to address the underlying problems, but to add firearms to these situations can only lead to them becoming more dangerous for innocents who get involved.

Gun control does not solve violence or even effectivly treat it. Rather it causes it to increase by creating a populace unable to effectivly protect itself from those elements of society that wish to commit violent crimes.
Crime will always exist. I don't believe free access to guns will do anything to reduce crime. By allowing people to own guns for defence you are also allowing people to own guns for offence. This will not reduce crime, but will make existing crime far more dangerous.

Tell a woman in an ER that her rapist didn't use a gun as she cries her heart out to the doctor and police
Do you believe that if guns were openly available that the rapist still wouldn't have a gun?

But if she had been empowered with a firearm, the skill to employ it effectivly in defence, and a concealed carry permit the whole tragedy might have been averted by the death or serious injury to the would be rapist
If the rapist has a gun and the victim also has a gun, the only outcome would be that one of them ends up dead or seriously injured. If the lady pulled a gun on an armed rapist, it will lead to an extremely unstable stalemate situation. Both have much to lose, so who will pull the trigger first? I'd guess it would be 50/50.
If the lady had a can of mace, rather than a gun she would be able to disable her attacker and make her get away. No rapes, no deaths, surely a better situation for all involved.

Take Care

OfflineoDin
    #387947 - 09/07/01 12:46 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

i want to ask one question here. how are my guns that happen to be in a gun safe right now in any way a threat to you? now before you go on saying that its not my guns but others..just whos guns will a new law be taking away? certianly not the criminal's guns, for he is already breaking laws, but mine the dude that has them in a safe place, and would likely turn them in if forced to? why i ever starterd in on this abortion like discussion...again.. is beyond me...but i would bury/hide my guns before ever turning them in cause i have seen pics of FYugoslavia, indonesia the list goes on. and my friends and esp my woman will never go down like that. some of you have this perfect human behaviour dream via the UN that bad things will never happen "where i live" but it does. maybe standing there someday as five dirtbags rape your wife and then kill you would change your mind.

hope for the best...expect the worst

-----------------------------------------------------------
fuck bellarus...everyone is bitching about someone else...didnt want to get left behind

OfflineMrKurtz
enthusiast
Re: Test your knowledge of gun control: [Re: oDin]
    #389037 - 09/08/01 10:58 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

well, the thing is, whenever a criminal gets arrested, his gun gets taken away, and is sold again for a very low price to help fund the police station (unless its an illegal gun of course, in which case they keep it in a ballistics lab or whatnot). if every time a criminal gets arrested his gun gets destroyed, in a few years there would be virtually no guns. and, i think there have been more then enough cases of handgun homicide that the carefree use of guns has been ruined for all. just because you might be a responsible gun owner, doesnt make it right.

as for "maybe standing there someday as five dirtbags rape your wife and then kill you would change your mind.", would it make a difference if they shot you first then raped your wife and shot her? if you seriously believe you can single handedly defend yourself against 5 armed men, why couldnt you defend yourself against 5 unarmed men?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale