Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
First time, experimenting questions! (I'm sooo happy)
    #3850962 - 03/01/05 07:25 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

As I have stated in other posts, my OCD is gonna make this go smoothly I hope, so I am not going to ask the simple questions "uh, do i really have to have a clean house or can i just grow in a garbage bin?" or "um where do mushroom come from?" I'm a newbie and i get frustrated at these and i don't know JACK!

Any-who, my first grow. I am using PF-TEK, and wanted to know if anyone recommends experimenting the first grow. Let me explain.

I am using 12 1/2 pint jars and 3 pint jars. I have five strains (B+, Golden Teacher, Amazon, Puerto Rico, PES Hawaiian)

Now would it be foolish to "knock-up" every three cakes with a different strain? This is all a experiment for me so I really would like some opinions.

Also, I am thinking of doing a couple different methods, TIT, casing, and no-tit.

I am ALL ABOUT ORGANIZATION, so the way i see it i could try each strain, with two cakes in each different type of grow.

YES YES I KNOW KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.

But as my girlfriend yells at me K.I.H.R.
KEEP IT HARD RETARD!

I know i want try dunking at least two, and i am going to roll at least two cakes.

Anyway, should i just say Fuck it and go with the simplest method, or should i just go all in and experiment my heart out.

I think that's what makes this hobby fun, it seems like you can create limitless possibilities just by trying new things.

Thanks and per your replies I will start my grow this weekend and give you a pictoral update as I go along, (I AM THE PHOTO GUY!)

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFidelius
fellow partymember

Re: First time, experimenting questions! (I'm sooo happy) [Re: Photoguy]
    #3850993 - 03/01/05 07:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I can do whatever I want
Cause I am my own god
Don't have to worry if it's right or wrong
Cause I am my own god

Dayglo Abortions - I'm My Own God

--------------------

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: First time, experimenting questions! (I'm sooo happy) [Re: Fidelius]
    #3851010 - 03/01/05 07:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Photoguy, I think experimentation in this hobby is awesome, however in order to experiment correctly, you should have first hand knowledge of an original product and elaborate/experiment from there... I say to just do straight PF cakes "by the book" for your first run, learn the "feel" of it, then go from there...  If you experiment right off the bat, how do you know if you're getting positive or negative results right?  OCD my ass... lol j/k :grin:

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First time, experimenting questions! (I'm sooo happy) [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3851118 - 03/01/05 08:50 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Simple for your first grow. Then you'll understand the mycelium better and you can experiment all you want. First you need a "control" though to have something to compare it to. Like Need say, how do you know if your getting positive or negative results.

I understand, you do two things comparing one varible and see which does better then keep it. It sounds so easy in your head right? Its not that easy though. You still need to know what its like to do things the easy way. It will make it easier in the long run, trust me :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: First time, experimenting questions! (I'm sooo happy) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3851130 - 03/01/05 08:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yahh, AFOAF went nuts when he first started. After 24 jars of PF cakes and whole grain spawn, start screwing around.

AFOAF finds it easiest to just make a few extra jars on top of a dozen, so if your experiments dont work out, its not a total loss.

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Re: First time, experimenting questions! (I'm sooo happy) [Re: XTCollection]
    #3851847 - 03/01/05 12:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, i will do as you all say and KEEP IT SIMPLE.

But, just for the record, would you use many different strains or just a couple or just one on your first time?

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: First time, experimenting questions! (I'm sooo happy) [Re: Photoguy]
    #3851889 - 03/01/05 12:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You can use the multiple strains. but i would recommend just ridding it out with simple pf-tek first. then you will know what the normal growth patterns are and then experiment. recently i was doing an experiment with south american and golden teacher to see what fruited first and colonize the fastest but the golden teachers never germinated. K.I.S.

OfflineShroomGuy86
Shroooooooooooooooom

Loc: MycVille
- [Re: thenewguy05]
    #3851949 - 03/01/05 12:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

-

--------------------
"I put Lamborghini doors on that Es-co-lade
Low pro so low look like I'm riding on blades" - 50 Cent

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First time, experimenting questions! (I'm sooo happy) [Re: thenewguy05]
    #3851956 - 03/01/05 12:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Dont use more then 2-4 at a time. Better to start with 1-2 then if your really interested in more try 3 or 4. Different strains are definatly fun. The thing is, if you alter strains, you cant experiment with them! You can put all your GT's into casings and cams into cakes. Youll of course get different yeilds. Its better to pick your experiment. For the first grow keeping everything the same except trying out a few strains would be a good experiment. Don't go by others results from strains. You cant descirbe a strain by its name, when you grow it, it'll be different.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale