Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
the infinite wheel revisited
    #3821868 - 02/23/05 11:18 AM (19 years, 28 days ago)

okay, picture a universe which consists only of a human-sized observer and an infinitely humungous rotating wheel. there's nothing else. oh, I guess there's some 'empty' space between them, and just around, and between the spokes etc.

funny how the observer's POV makes it seem as if it's the wheel moving, but from the wheel's perspective it would look like the observer were the one moving. Perhaps to an observer outside the system (God, let's say) it would look more like a stationary infinite wheel with a tiny (infinitely tiny, in fact) observer orbiting the wheel's centre. As the observer moves out, it orbits faster; as moves in, orbits slower.

hmm, on second thought... maybe it's wrong to say that God sits outside the universe looking in. Better, maybe, to say that He is inside everything---His POV is everywhere. He observes from absolutely every point. To Him, neither the wheel nor the observer would be moving, or both would. (can a whole universe be rotating?) (if this universe is rotating, I am its axis...)

Oooor, lacking God's omni-perspective, perhaps consciousness itself (the observer) provides a frame-of-reference, which acts as a sort of anchor. so even an infinitesimal speck of consciousness anchors the universe in which the wheel is forced to spin. Or, maybe the bigness of the wheel is anchor enough.

or maybe this whole question is totally bogus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: the infinite wheel revisited [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3822991 - 02/23/05 03:34 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Perhaps it is, but you do have a good idea driving you.

This sort of has to do with the theory of relativity. Perception and coordination always depends on the POV of the observer. "I'm not tall, you're short", "I'm not short, you're tall". Neither is true. the only truth is that there is a certain relationship between two variables.

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: the infinite wheel revisited [Re: dr0mni]
    #3822993 - 02/23/05 03:34 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

This can be discussed indefinitely...

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: the infinite wheel revisited [Re: dr0mni]
    #3823201 - 02/23/05 04:13 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

"I'm not tall, you're short", "I'm not short, you're tall".

but what about "I'm not rotating, you're rotating"?

let's say the universe consisted of two dudes hanging out in front of a convenience store. one's taller than the other. there's really no argument, I mean sure they could run through the whole ]"I'm not tall, you're short", "I'm not short, you're tall" thing over and over, but if they just side-stepped that, they'd arrive at "I'm taller than you", "I'm shorter than you" and both be able to agree.

but in the universe of one teensy observer and one infinite wheel, it's a bit different, a bit trickier to get both to agree. you have to be God. and the thing is, when you do thought experiments like this, in a way You are God, in that your POV can zoom around where ever you want it to, you can slow down or speed up time, you can even reverse time, you can pause everything, you can introduce new variables out of nothing whenever you want, you can have a black hole swallow everything up at the end and start fresh, etc.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: the infinite wheel revisited [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3823884 - 02/23/05 06:32 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

There are actually four.

Shortie says: I'm not short, but you are taller than me. I'm tall, and you are just not as short than I.
Mr. Tall says: I'm not tall, you just happen to be shorter than me. I'm short, you are just not taller than me.

OfflineCrazyBusiness
Stranger thanyou think
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs.
Re: the infinite wheel revisited [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3823917 - 02/23/05 06:39 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

funny how the observer's POV makes it seem as if it's the wheel moving, but from the wheel's perspective it would look like the observer were the one moving. Perhaps to an observer outside the system (God, let's say) it would look more like a stationary infinite wheel with a tiny (infinitely tiny, in fact) observer orbiting the wheel's centre. As the observer moves out, it orbits faster; as moves in, orbits slower.

.. and if the observer were at the absolute centre? He would appear stationary from every part of the wheel.

--------------------
...in my opinion

Life's too short, man.. Life's too short. Dont hate me, and I wont put space between us. Dont lie to me, and I wont dislike you. Keep an open mind, and I'll love you.

My advice of the week(do this, you'll like it): listen to Mahogany Rush.

Representing Beatiful British Columbian classic dank. Just think, Columbia for coke, British Columbia for buds. truth

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: the infinite wheel revisited [Re: CrazyBusiness]
    #3824089 - 02/23/05 07:12 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

>and if the observer were at the absolute centre? He would appear stationary from every part of the wheel.
-So, from the perspective of spoke #1 the person is facing away. I would expect that if the wheel turned 180 degrees and the person at the center stayed still, then the perspective from spoke #1 would be of the person facing towards the spoke. But you say this isn't true, the person would still be facing away.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates