Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMycoGlowFlow
between the walls
Male

Loc: michigan
ok for lighting
    #378644 - 08/25/01 04:29 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

hey guys hows it going

ya so up untill now i have used a regular 60 watt light balb for my light source during fruiting. my friend however says i should use a flouresent black light instead because it evedently supposed to get rid of bacteria. so should i use it instead? will it provide enough light?

"Its not enough, I need more. Nothing seems to Satisfy, i said. I dont't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know i'm alive." -Maynard

--------------------
(the key-strokes that have completed everything ever typed on this user name have been a random coincidence, except for the words in this notation)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
Re: ok for lighting [Re: MycoGlowFlow]
    #378655 - 08/25/01 05:01 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Any light that enables you to see in front of yourself in the dark is good enough. (So if you make youre room pitch black, and a faint light let's you see your hand in front of your face, this light is good to use.)

A 60 watt incadescent light is ok, but be careful, because these make heat. Flouro's are good, black lights work good too, but I've never heard about them killing contams..

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

OfflineMycoGlowFlow
between the walls
Male

Re: ok for lighting [Re: Shiznitz]
    #378659 - 08/25/01 05:04 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

thanx man ill try this out

"Its not enough, I need more. Nothing seems to Satisfy, i said. I dont't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know i'm alive." -Maynard

--------------------
(the key-strokes that have completed everything ever typed on this user name have been a random coincidence, except for the words in this notation)

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #378835 - 08/25/01 10:50 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I am not sure about black lights killing contaminates but I know that they can expose some of them to the naked eye. The best color for mushrooms to grow with is blue light, although it doesn't make much of a difference. It has allready been said but any light will work. Mushrooms do not depend or need light to grow but rather use it to start the fruiting cycle and tell it which way to grow. Lighting will help your mushrooms to grow straight up instead of all kinds of wacky directions. A dark dye in your perlite layer might help to stop mushroms geting attracted to it but that is only if you want really straight mushrooms.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

OfflineMycoGlowFlow
between the walls
Male

Re: ok for lighting [Re: phrozendata]
    #378867 - 08/25/01 11:27 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

thanx, i havent used perlite yet, i have just been misting my terrarium manualy. but this time i am using perlite. i think i am going to make my casing tray large enough to cover its surface to my light, but elevated to ensure that the perlite will be able to release its moisture.

--------------------

OfflineSir Tokes-A-Lot
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
    #378938 - 08/26/01 01:12 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

no, it wont kill bacteria. just stick with what you have already.

--------------------

"If god liked midgets, he woulda made 'em come on stilts."- ChemicalMonkey (The Early Years)

OfflineMycoGlowFlow
between the walls
Male

Re: ok for lighting [Re: Sir Tokes-A-Lot]
    #378943 - 08/26/01 01:15 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

but i think previously the 60 watt was causing to much heat, they took a while to start pinning., plus id like to see mushies under a black light, it could look pretty trippy.

--------------------

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #378957 - 08/26/01 01:39 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Mushrooms don't use blacklight very well, yes they will pin, but you will get a poor pinset and very twisted, small and mishapen shrooms. You'de get the same results growing in the dark. A black light can be used to spot contams that can't be seen with the naked eye.

If you want a good light, get one of the $5 ones from wal-mart used to grow plants. They are blueish in color and fit into a standard light socket. They provide more of the blue spectrum then an incandescent bulb. Although sunlight is the best possible lighting source.

Novelty

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck