Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSmoorhs
Stranger
casing and terrarium questions
    #377170 - 08/23/01 03:13 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Howdy, I have just started growing for my 1st time and I have a few questions. I believe it has been three weeks since innoculating the jars following the MMGG process. First, the M. growth is on all regions of the jar (sides and bottom), but there are still many very small spots where the substrate mixture can be seen. Should I wait longer until I can see none of the substrate or place them in the terrarium now? My second question is about the casing, is it better to crumble the cakes up and use the entire terr. floor as the casing or to cut the cakses in half and place each half in a cup with its own casing? I read that casings require less humidity, will using a cool mist h. be too much and if so, how can I keep the humidity at the right level? My terr. will probably be a rubbermaid container, not the tallest size, probably roughly 2'x4'x2-3' (WxLxH) Thanks for your time reading this post.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
Re: casing and terrarium questions [Re: Smoorhs]
    #377187 - 08/23/01 03:42 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Can you just see the substrate, or is there a fuzzy mycelium growth that you can "see through". It sounds like your cakes are 100% colonized, and that these small spots where the substrate can still be seen is just fuzzy-like mycelium growing. Boy, would a pic be heplful right now... Anyways, if you're not sure what I mean, then it would be safe to leave the jars in there for a bit more if you can. Take the tape/tinfoil off of the top, lay the jars on their sides, and loosen the lids a 1/4 turn. A lot of people wait until they see pins forming in the jar before they birth it, so you could do that. Supposedly, it increases yeilds on your first flush...

The terrarium is not where the mycelium grows from. The terrarium is just an environmnet that you create for the mushrooms to grow in. The mushrooms come froma container that is put into the terrarium. On the bottom of the terrarium, there should be perlite, not mycelium.

If I were you, I would use 2 cakes per casing. Just follow any casing tek. The bigger the casing, the more cakes you use. That's why I say go with 1 or 2 cakes per casing, because if you loose a casing to contams, it will only be 1 or 2 cakes, not 6 of them.

IMO, perlite is better than a humidifier... Cheaper, easier, etc.
If you already have the coolmist, or are determined to get one, I'm sorry because I know jack shit about them, so I can't answer your question...

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

OfflineSmoorhs
Stranger
Re: casing and terrarium questions [Re: Shiznitz]
    #377305 - 08/23/01 07:39 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Alright thanks for the info. I think I will take your advice and use perlite, but I how do I keep the humidity at the right level for casings? In all the guides, I read that casings should have humidity somewhere between 82-92%. I hear that perlite keeps humidity at 95% at the minimum. I read that keeping the lid on the terrarium cracked will reduce humidity, but I do not know if that will 1. introduce too many contaminants or 2. release too much CO2.

OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
Re: casing and terrarium questions [Re: Smoorhs]
    #377329 - 08/23/01 08:11 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

keep the lid cracked for 1 hour intervals several times a day. Fan 4-5 times a day.

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

OfflineTheShroomster
journeyman

Loc: Utah
Re: casing and terrarium questions [Re: Shiznitz]
    #377377 - 08/23/01 09:20 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

hey buddy

try this,

1 fist wait a little longer with the cakes i would recomend a week longer or until you see pins forming.

2 dont crumble your cake if you use brown rice, just cut then in half to make two circles. make each casing with two jars. and case them with wet sterile vermiculite.

3 cover the casing with foil and let set for 1 week. don't make holes so you can rasie the co2 levels.

4 then after a week take the foil of a put the casings in your tupper ware with 2 inch of wet perlite.

( buy a humidy guage, to keep the humidy at 85% just make some hole in the sides and tape a coffee filter over them. this will lower the humidy some a prevent contams from entering. this will aslo pervide air exchange so you don't need to fan as often)

hope this helps

--------------------
        ***** Margaritaville*****
Wasted away again in Margaritaville,
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt.
( Jimmy Buffett ):crazy: 

Offlineterified
Stranger
Male
Re: casing and terrarium questions [Re: TheShroomster]
    #377394 - 08/23/01 09:44 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

why do you let the casings sit for a week sealed in tin foil?
Is this to help the Mycileum take over the casing layer?

The mind is a Terrible thing to taste

--------------------
The mind is a Terrible thing to taste

OfflineTheShroomster
journeyman

Re: casing and terrarium questions [Re: terified]
    #377404 - 08/23/01 09:54 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

hey buddy,

the mycellium will grow with very low o2 (just like in nature it grows in the ground). letting it sit wile alow the mycellium the colonize the casing. ( nice and thick and strong ) this also builds up the co2 levels.

when you take the foil of it tell the mycellium to fruit because to start the fruiting process you need to provide light and a drop in c02. ( like in nature when the mycellium grow to the top of the soil they get sun and more air, that tells them to fruit)

if you are growing a harder species you might want to put it in the fridge ( in the foil ) for a day before you take the foil off and put them in the terrium.

hope this helps ya. or makes any sence at all

--------------------

OfflineTheShroomster
journeyman

Re: casing and terrarium questions [Re: TheShroomster]
    #377407 - 08/23/01 09:58 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

hey buddy

I am not on crack. i just think faster than i can type. I sorry if you don't understand my writing. any questions let me know.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate