Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesunofogun
the nextcastaneda

f@#$# in cobweb!!!!
    #3755759 - 02/09/05 11:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have a nice big casing of OI on straw and poo thats been going for 2 months.  I've cased it and patched like three times... well today I was going to birth into the fruiting chamber and i found a spot of cobweb about 2x 2 in. !!! i freaked out and poured some peroxide on it, but i dont know what to do!!! is there anyway i can salvage this!!!! it would be a shame to throw it all away!!!  please help :confused:

--------------------
I want something good to die for -- to make it beautiful to live - a new mistake - lose is more than hesitates QOTSA

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: f@#$# in cobweb!!!! [Re: sunofogun]
    #3755781 - 02/09/05 11:38 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

you can try cutting that section out and filling the hole with salt, just hope that the spores havent spread

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3755784 - 02/09/05 11:39 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

IME COBWEB comes from to much moisture.And not enough air exchanges,once in fruit chamber.
Also IME nothing stops it effectively, you can slow it down , but in most instances when you mess with it you spread it all the faster.

GL

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinesunofogun
the nextcastaneda

Re: f@#$# in cobweb!!!! [Re: tripndicular]
    #3755896 - 02/09/05 12:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

what if i cut out the section and fill it all in with new casing soil that contains lime?

--------------------
I want something good to die for -- to make it beautiful to live - a new mistake - lose is more than hesitates QOTSA

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
    #3755921 - 02/09/05 12:18 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I had cobweb last week on one of my casings. I heavily misted with 50/50 water h2o2, then cold shocked the casing for 24 hours. I read that cobweb can't stand up to the colder temps, and the h2o2 (if applied soon enough) has a shot at cleaning up the spors

It really set my pinning back, as the heavy h2o2 mistings probably were not good...but I also allowed the RH to drop down to about 75% so things could dry out a bit

After 3 days, all signs of cobweb have vanished, and a small scratch of the casing layer will show any remaining threat by tomorrow.

But damn if it didn't set my casing back like a week and a half

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Offlinesunofogun
the nextcastaneda

Re: f@#$# in cobweb!!!! [Re: ADoobie]
    #3755935 - 02/09/05 12:23 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ha a week and a half thats nothing ive been working on this guy for like at least two months!! :smile:

--------------------

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3756019 - 02/09/05 12:51 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If you grow cob-web on agar you will see why it can't be stopped. It has long roots, so to say. By the time you see the fuz, your whole cake is already infected. Fuzz is the last stage, similar to the fruiting stage of mushroom mycelium.

If your mushroom strain is strong enough, and you can fruit it, no harm will come from eating those fruits. Fortunately the cobweb is a weak mold and non-toxic. You may even see it growing on the bases of moist mushrooms after they fruit.

That should be an indication that you need to PC longer or hotter.

I am guessing that this is WBS. The sunflower seeds in WBS usualy have a high spore count of cobweb mold. (In my batches thay are the first to get it when I have not PCed long enough or presoaked long enough.)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: f@#$# in cobweb!!!! [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3756044 - 02/09/05 12:57 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LaughingJim said:
If you grow cob-web on agar you will see why it can't be stopped. It has long roots, so to say. By the time you see the fuz, your whole cake is already infected.

That should be an indication that you need to PC longer or hotter.

I am guessing that this is WBS.

I'd say you're doing alot of guessing, LaughingJim. When you're seeing the fuzz, that's all you are seeing. No roots, no mass of cobweb underneath. The only thing not visible to you is the spores or other areas of the casing infected with cobweb. This doesn't infect your entire cake, it doesn't work like that. Cobweb can be stopped.

Pressure cooking has nothing to do with this. You do realize cobweb affects the casing layer, right? We aren't talking about substrate.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3756049 - 02/09/05 12:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

One more note... Cobweb will grow in a fridge... and will only die in a freezer. (But the spores will live.)

H2O2 is a supressant that works because it disolves the food that the cobweb mold is living off of, but will turn the cobweb mold into alcohol and cause fermentation. (Tried that)

Only salt will effectively render it useless, as it will absorb the salt quickly and dry itself out. (You will also loose a bit of mycelium,)

I am looking into the more gentle (Borax) as a possible solution. (I am just not sure of the health implications.) I know you can't drink a glass of borax, or cook with the powder, but houses use it for fire-proofing and water-proofing news-paper blown-in insulation and wood beams. It is also the perfect pesticide, works forever on every insect without the harm of toxic ingestion. (From the small ammounts needed to be effective.)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
    #3757345 - 02/09/05 05:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well, that may be the case. There is no doubt I had cobweb mold starting, and there is no doubt it is now gone. So, while you may be correct, I believe that there are measures that can be taken to help a casing through without further cobweb problems

As for h2o2, it will kill the spores - and for our intended use on this casing, has nothing to do with substrate decomposition. We aren't using it to kill the cobweb, we are using it to give you a better chance to fight the cobweb.

Key term here, fight. LaughingJim, I'm not saying you are in anyway incorrect, but it does feel that you are summing cobweb up to be a mold that cannot be dealt with w/o salt.

All I am saying is that cobweb is one of the very few molds you CAN fight, and it has been (shown, not pr oven) that a combination of ;

lower RH, cold temp shock, h202, salt

can be effectively used to fight cobweb.

The science behind it all, I will not argue. I will say that I have bitch smacked cobweb twice now, and I strongly feel that EARLY cobweb can be taken care of if you are lucky.

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Offlinesunofogun
the nextcastaneda

Re: f@#$# in cobweb!!!! [Re: ADoobie]
    #3761636 - 02/10/05 12:07 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

okay well for some reason the cobweb that i dumped peroxide all over has now become green mold!!! i swear i know the difference and it looked like freakin cobweb mold before i blasted it
i tore apart the casing underneath and the straw and poop mycelium look blue almost green directly underneath the spot so i think we've found the problem!!
the poo was too wet and didnt get colonized completely....:( goodbye OIs oh well lets hope the cambodians and lipa yais have a much better fate!!!!!! :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds