Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Isn't anyone else interested in SCIENCE or TECHNOLOGY? Just call this the computer forum..
    #3749458 - 02/08/05 01:40 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Lol, all I ever see are computer posts. I posted once about the technological singularity (aka the PINNACLE of science and technology) and I got like 3 replies from one appreciated person. Arent there any other things people are interested in?

String Theory?
Any sort of Transhumanism?
Nanotech?

Anything?

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnjaba
Yet to trip....
 User Gallery

Loc: Tampa
Re: Isn't anyone else interested in SCIENCE or TECHNOLOGY? Just call this the computer forum.. [Re: freddurgan]
    #3750120 - 02/08/05 07:47 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yea, I like to read all about that kind of stuff, only theories though.  Whenever I start looking at all the calculus I have to stop...  Nanotechnology, monotomic elements, zero point energy, gravity/inertia manipulation, it all intrigues me.

I thought the same thing about this forum when I first joined, figured I'd check it out, was very dissapointed :frown:  Why would anyone want to talk about their computers?  I don't get it, unless they are asking a question about it.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Isn't anyone else interested in SCIENCE or TECHNOLOGY? Just call this the computer forum.. [Re: freddurgan]
    #3750468 - 02/08/05 10:09 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm moving up to "the level above human" when the next comet comes through. :thumbup:

--------------------
This space for rent

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3750471 - 02/08/05 10:10 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I made a recent thread about a Stephen Hawking book, but got only one reply.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3750494 - 02/08/05 10:16 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

What interests you about Transhumanism?

I plan on being one of the first to jack-in, and eventually upload, when the times comes!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
    #3750516 - 02/08/05 10:23 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

freddurgan said:
String Theory?
Nanotech?

Anything?

No offense, but what do you bring to the table when discussing these topics? I'm interested in them and so are many others here, but when a thread is posted about them which doesn't ask anything or provoke any discussion, what are we supposed to do? I'm not enough of a post whore to just say "cool."

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Isn't anyone else interested in SCIENCE or TECHNOLOGY? Just call this the computer forum.. [Re: MarioNett]
    #3750708 - 02/08/05 11:26 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well I'd like to hear if other people are intersted before I type out a post. I wasn't trying to start a fire here, just wanted to know.

I was recently reading about this thing called "The Hedonistic Imperative" http://www.hedweb.com/hedethic/tabconhi.htm which is sort of like a transhumanistic utopian idea, but I'm not sure if it's silly, or awe inspiring. The idea that we reprogram humans in order to make them constantly happy, or have the ability to just indulge in modern superdrugs (MDMA) without consequence just seems..I dunno, misguided. I can see where they are coming from, because if human mental and physical suffering just ENDED, then alot of human imperative desires would go away. But what would we have left? What would humanity do?

And yeah man, to the guy that said "whenever I look at all the Calculus I have to stop", I feel you to the point of crying. I'm at Georgia Tech right now and my dreams are this close to being stepped on by Calculus.

--------------------
Ishmael

Ron Paul 2008!

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
    #3750737 - 02/08/05 11:33 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Calculus rocks.  :thumbup:  It helped me with all other aspects of mathematics. :smile:

I'm into science and technology.  I want to become a jacked-in techno-ninja, possibly...  Sort of a cross between a decker and a samurai from the shadowrun universe.  :thumbup:

--------------------
delta9

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
    #3750751 - 02/08/05 11:38 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ever read Brave New World?  It says that having humans genetically modified to do work based upon what they are bred to do and intelligent enough to do (which is predetermined), and everyone fucking and doing drugs will lead to social utopia.  Same idea, but there is also a story developed in which an outsider questions the society and is allowed to live in it to see it.  It's a pretty damn good book, it was the only book that I got an A in for my Honors English class in 12th grade.  The writer Aldous Huxley also was quoted as saying he wanted to die on acid, according to my teacher :wink:

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Isn't anyone else interested in SCIENCE or TECHNOLOGY? Just call this the computer forum.. [Re: biglo]
    #3750791 - 02/08/05 11:52 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Haha, wasn't Aldous Huxley the guy that started spreading acid around before it basically exploded? He was like the godfather of acid I think?

But yeah, I dunno. Somehow your summary of BNW didn't seem too bad. Nobody would be unhappy. We'd probably get more done because we're bred to do what we do and we wouldn't have anything to bitch about. But that's pretty much a hideous violation of mankind, ala the Matrix. So I guess it would only appeal to people like me who still have their heads wrapped around the E they took 3 days ago.

And yeah man, I'll bet Calculus rocks. Just seeing the word Calculus makes me nauseus almost. I've really let it get out of hand. 4th semester and I'm in Calc II, heading for a 5th semester. I've let my life go to shit =(

--------------------
Ishmael

Ron Paul 2008!

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
    #3750800 - 02/08/05 11:56 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It actually seems to get *easier* after Calc II. Calc II is supposed to be one of the most challenging math classes.

--------------------
delta9

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Isn't anyone else interested in SCIENCE or TECHNOLOGY? Just call this the computer forum.. [Re: delta9]
    #3750931 - 02/08/05 12:32 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think Series are the most complicated thing I've ever had to do. That and truely understanding limits. Infinity is just too big to grasp sometimes.

--------------------
Ishmael

Ron Paul 2008!

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3752096 - 02/08/05 05:50 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

freddurgan said:
Lol, all I ever see are computer posts. I posted once about the technological singularity (aka the PINNACLE of science and technology) and I got like 3 replies from one appreciated person. Arent there any other things people are interested in?

String Theory?
Nanotech?

Anything?

I am in biomaterial engineering and biocompatable material synthesis. I guess that falls into the nanotech category and maybe transhumanism...but I am WAY into it and i just don't think my discussions would go very far here.

Offlineblkhole
Comfortably Numb

Loc: Tinpan Alley
    #3752540 - 02/08/05 07:27 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think the big reason for no one talkin about that here is stuff like that get discussed much more in S&P. It might not be the right place for it sometimes but people sure talk a lot there.

--------------------
With our love, we could save the world, if they only knew...
-George Harrison R.I.P.

http://irevolution.org

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3753787 - 02/08/05 11:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

biology is my favourite thing on earth.  i woudl also like to talk about photography here.  i dont post here cause its all techy stuff.  much liek i dont post much in health forum about hiking cause its all sick people.

way it goes :frown:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3754062 - 02/09/05 12:01 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

ok. start your own threads.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order