Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebeav
Stranger
casing questions
    #3740175 - 02/06/05 09:11 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

hello, my PF cakes are almost done colonizing so i have a few questions before i try to get begin my 1st casing.

should i dunk my cakes before i crumble them?

and what is the best way to crumble ur cakes, i read somewhere that u can slice them into 2 inch slices or crumle them into nickles size peices. i plan on using 8 half pints.

thanks a bunch

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: casing questions [Re: beav]
    #3740188 - 02/06/05 09:13 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hey

You don't need to dunk them before crumbling. I like to crumble them by hand into small chunks, then just pack the casing layer with those pieces. Yes, you can cut them into 2 inch slices, just make sure to fill in any and all gaps to form an even casing layer.

Good luck

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: casing questions [Re: Holydiver]
    #3740342 - 02/06/05 10:26 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ok not to go against the grain but yes dunk, it really does help. When done dunking drain, rinse, with "clean" water and drop into a large ziplock bag, zip it up and crumble. You see very little contact with less than sterile points, no slicing in open air just minimal exposure. Just as important is getting that substrate layer level AND putting that casing layer as evenly (thickness) as possible, this will help tremendously with your pinning strategy, You do have a pinning strategy right? If ya don't heres a very successful one:
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinebeav
Stranger
Re: casing questions [Re: hyphae]
    #3740530 - 02/06/05 11:58 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well i do want to dunk but it seems like a pain in the ass...i did it with PF cakes before and i used a water pitcher with a top and filled with water to the top....it seems like the mycelmium(sp?) took a long time to recover. i only plan on getting 2 or so flushes, so it isn't too important to me about how much i get. i just want to see if casing is really that good. as far as pinning stratgy, yes i have one. i read your thread in the archives hyphae and im going to use some of it. im going to let the myc. take over the casing(in my case coco coir, verm and oyster shells with a very thin layer of verm. on the bottom) then put some plastic wrap over it and place it in the sunlight from dawn to dusk till i see some pinning. i have a question though, do i need to release co2 when i introduce to light?

thanks a bunch

beav

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3742139 - 02/06/05 07:13 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yes FAE, light and temp drop these are your pinning triggers. Do yourself a favor and get a cheap styro cooler $3 and use that and by all means don't put in direct sunlight (UV rays) bro that will kill all chances at a successful pinset. Follow the advice given and you'll increase your chances of success or if you think you have a better plan then by all means go for it dude! :wink: GL I mean it!

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinebeav
Stranger
    #3742344 - 02/06/05 07:59 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

FAE? something about fanning?
and a styrofoam cooler? whats does that do? so i can place it in the sunlight?

beav

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3742693 - 02/06/05 09:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

FAE (fresh air exchange) the cooler will allow a much longer time between FAE's like 3-5 days a day compared to once every hour or more. Also just place the cooler anywhere in the room that will receive indirect lighting and no cold drafts like you would get immediately under a window in the winter. GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Offlinebeav
Stranger
    #3742702 - 02/06/05 09:13 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

can i just put a couple peice of paper(reg. computer paper) taped, and have the plastic wrap over it?

because i need to use the sun for light, my roommate doesn't know im growing these and this is the perfect spot.

any ideas?

beav

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3742742 - 02/06/05 09:23 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Stealth eh? Maybe under your bed with a fluoro or christmas lights in a low pro plastic storage bin? There are a ton of stealth options out there your imagination is the limit, maybe a bottom dresser drawer in a plastic bin with perlite humidification and LEDs or christmas lighting? It's your call, either way GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck