Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Are you afraid of death?
    #3730144 - 02/04/05 12:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Do you feel anxiety over the fact that one day you are going to die and rot?
Would you like to live for ever or do you think that death can
be peacefull and fully accepted?
Should we avoid it at all costs by prolonging life as much as possible or should we stop one day and say: it is my time to go to sleep

Please answer outside your beliefs regarding what comes after because even if there is afterlife, some parts of you do die, and if there is no afterlife, everything dies. So let's just throw away the question of life after death, and talk about your feelings about death.

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Are you afraid of death? [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #3730189 - 02/04/05 12:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I accept my death with honor.Without death there cannot be life.By accepting my death I am humbling myself before time and fate and allowing a new generation to be born into this world and to carry on where I have left off.I will have made room for others to experience what I have.If I did not die nor did the majority of people this planet would become very overpopulated (worse than it is already)and massive violence and chaos and death of the planet would ensue shortly.

Granted the alteration of genes will one day allow humans a natural life span of hundreds of years by slowing down the genes responsible for the rate of natural aging...I believe one should not do this as it will cause great unbalance and upset to the natural order of the world.This will be very bad since everything always seeks to balance itself out sooner or later.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3730277 - 02/04/05 12:51 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
Do you feel anxiety over the fact that one day you are going to die and rot?
Would you like to live for ever or do you think that death can
be peacefull and fully accepted?
Should we avoid it at all costs by prolonging life as much as possible or should we stop one day and say: it is my time to go to sleep

Please answer outside your beliefs regarding what comes after because even if there is afterlife, some parts of you do die, and if there is no afterlife, everything dies. So let's just throw away the question of life after death, and talk about your feelings about death.

its like you got this soap, you bye a refill to, but one day your soap dispenser gets busted.. the soap is still alive, and were always dead..  :confused: :heart:

being afraid, of being afraid, would it make you more scared?
would it make you....

ha ha my typee is busted.. fear not for in fear, you are creating it..
something like that

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by Gomp (02/04/05 12:53 PM)

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Are you afraid of death? [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3730288 - 02/04/05 12:53 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have two sides to my answer.

I have experienced enough in this life to emotionally feel secure about dying. From what I've observed about how our minds work and where we're headed as a society, as well as enough drug/meditation experiences that, while I don't have answers or beliefs on what happens in the afterlife, I feel as though it doesn't really matter. Experiencing what it's like to live in a society which is on the brink of discovering itself verus much of the archaic functioning of society has showen me how many of the negative aspects of life are often due to people trying to survive by adapting to their enviroment. This basic fear is what keeps societies together and also causes people to fear other societies.

But then there's the other side of it. Physiologically, I think that a fear of death is impossible to completely destroy. There is an unconscious fear of the unknown, and while I've explored life - life is still painful, which instills an unconscious fear of dying & losing control over my own situation. Watching other people who have suffered their entire lives of no fault of their own shows that life can be very out of anyone's control, no matter how strong they are.

Still, I've had enough experiences with thinking I've died that I don't actively fear death. Experiencing something which makes you think you've died - and being alright with dying - it lessens the anxiety.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Are you afraid of death? [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3730299 - 02/04/05 12:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I think most likely when someone fears death it means that we hold onto life so greatly that we wish there was more time for us to exist.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: Are you afraid of death? [Re: Droz]
    #3730437 - 02/04/05 01:13 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I think that instinct to avoid death is natural, but allso death is natural, so you can not live a healthy live without accepting death as a natural thing.

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3730448 - 02/04/05 01:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said: Please answer outside your beliefs regarding what comes after because even if there is afterlife, some parts of you do die, and if there is no afterlife, everything dies.

read: "please separate your beliefs into little compartments and allow me to sort through them at my leisure."

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: Are you afraid of death? [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3730457 - 02/04/05 01:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

What did I ever do to you?

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3730466 - 02/04/05 01:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

oh, nothing sweetie... I just think it's weird to ask people that they only bring some of their beliefs along to a discussion.

it's like, let's play pool, but you're better than me at it, so to even things up, please don't use your skills at playing pool.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#3730609 - 02/04/05 01:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

No it's nothing like that, but you take whatever meaning of it you need

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3730809 - 02/04/05 02:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Our beliefs and death are intertwined hopelessly. I don't want to die, but it's not like I got a choice...so when it comes I'll be here. In the meantime I'm going to have fun.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: Are you afraid of death? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3730871 - 02/04/05 02:28 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I wanted to prevent another fight about afterlife, so I just wanted to talk about feelings about death, it doesn't matter if they are influenced by beliefs, they are still real

--------------------

OfflinePsiloSimon
amateurmycologist

Loc: the universe
    #3731126 - 02/04/05 03:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I think of life as one energy, and the biological body as a place to focus that energy.

My River/bucket analogy:
Life is a river- your body is a bucket . When you are born you scoop water out of the river with the bucket, and when you die you dump it back in the river.

We move in cycles, in circles.

Peace

--------------------
IRS: We've got what it takes to take what you've got.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3731222 - 02/04/05 03:44 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The thought of dying scares the hell out of me, quite frankly. But I do find the fact that it's a part of the cycle of life somewhat comforting, though....

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3731247 - 02/04/05 03:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
No it's nothing like that, but you take whatever meaning of it you need

that's what everyone will do---take whatever meaning they 'need', or whatever meaning seems most likely to be what you meant. In this case, you have asked us to only use part of our beliefs to answer your question. I was pointing out how impossible that is. sorry if I came across not gentle enough or something.

my pool analogy was a bit weak, I'll admit. here's a better one:

"okay, do you guys agree with me that abortion is totally immoral and should be punished severly? in answering, please only use those parts of yourself which agree with me."

I mean, if you want, I could say something like, "well, I'm not afraid of death since I believe that my soul will go on, but since you've specifically asked me not to believe that for the purposes of this discussion, my answer is that I am extremely afraid of death since, for the purposes of this discussion, there is only a big blank after death."

whether or not someone is afraid of death is likely to be at least somewhat involved with what they think occurs afterwards.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#3731307 - 02/04/05 03:57 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You go it all wrong Zeke

I didn't say you should split yourself, I was talking about giving the issue a rest and talking about how you feel..

so what I was asking people NOT to do is this:
"Of course I'm not afraid, there is afterlife"

or

"We should all be afraid because there is no afterlife"

and what I DID ask people to do is this:
"I'm afraid etc."

or

"I'm not afraid etc."

The point was not to start a discussion about is there or is there no afterlife, but just talk about how you feel about dying.
I didn't ask you to take a certain belief and change your feelings accoarding to it. I asked you to talk about your feelings regardless of what are they influenced by, and not attack other peoples views
and turn this into a discussion about death vs. afterlife

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3731322 - 02/04/05 04:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

what I DID ask people to do is this:
"I'm afraid etc."

or

"I'm not afraid etc."

but my point is, the 'etc' above is probably involved with people's beliefs concerning the afterlife.
but okay, agree to disagree. just know I'm right.

edit: I can dig that you're trying to keep the discussion on a certain track. I just think it's impossible the way you tried to. IMO.

I asked you to talk about your feelings regardless of what are they influenced by

admirable, but impossible!

Edited by Zekebomb (02/04/05 04:04 PM)

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#3731332 - 02/04/05 04:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Again you missed my point...

you can talk about your beliefs in the etc. part as much as you want..

What I asked was not to attack other people's etc.'s and turn it into discussion about technical issues regarding death

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3731347 - 02/04/05 04:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I think we keep missing each other's points!

sorry to derail your thread... please everyone, take no notice of me and answer the question as best you can under the circumnstances

InvisibleKackleDude
transmundaneother

Loc: Close to the Edge, Down b...
    #3731350 - 02/04/05 04:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'm afraid of death in the sense that I'm afraid I'll die before my life is up. Someone I know died with a very promising life ahead of him, he was the only one in his family that had any sort of motivation to pursue a higher calling and he died in a car accident. It caused great grief, greater than if say, he would've died at the age of 50 after living a long and action-filled life.
If I were to die tomorrow It would be a travesty because there is much to my life that I have yet to complete. I haven't done far too many things to leave the earth at this point. Yes, I'm doing my best to do these things to alleviate this factor but such things as life goals take time.
However, if I were to be diagnosed with terminal cancer, I would live out my remaining days as fully as possible & do my best to be happy that I achieved that which I could have in my time, however short.

--------------------
yeeeahh, it's gonna be well wicked

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom