Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefarmer_maggot
Hawkeye and Alient tek questions
    #371393 - 08/14/01 01:40 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

This is my fist post. I am planning on attempting to cultivate for first time and have been reading for several weeks now, trying to come up to speed on this process.

first off i want to thank all those who have contributed their expertise. Please do not take any of my queries as negative in any way, i am just trying to get as prepared as possible.

I must say the range of teks is a bit confusing. I'm afraid of pulling a Mr. Bean in the kitchen when i give it all a whirl. I would like to buy several syringes but only use one at a time so that i can learn from mistakes before second and third attempts. So i would like to approach my planning from that perspective. Given a 10 cc syringe, i would like to anticipate the substrate ingredients, the casing tray sizes etc. Any help in that regard would be nice. For example - given a single syring approach, does one need a 20 gallon terrarium or is 10 gallon sufficient.? That sort of thing. Believe me, i have read almost every tek and while very informative, they each tend to differ in initial assumptions which make comparison a bit difficult for the newbie.

I am placing several questions in this post.

i must say that the impressive pictures on Hawkeye sight have me leaning towards the HMF recipe. I have also noted that the Alien tek is somewhat similar but there are a few key differnence i'd like sorted out.

First several questions on this tek itself

Ryche writes:
In a large bowl, scooping out heaping tablespoons,
20 tbls finch seed (steep for 45 minutes in mineral
water first)
7 tbls brown rice flour
4 tbls flax seed meal
10 tbls vermiculite
Mineral water

Q - what is the target jar profile that the above contents can fill? i.e 7 1/2 pint jars? 10 1 pint jars? Seriously i have no idea and it is not mentioned in the tek.

Ryche writes:
First, steep your whole finch seed, (Penningtons brand from Wal Mart is the best) in mineral water for 45-60 minutes, do not ground up the seed.

Q - can you be more specific. By "steep" do you mean bring the water to boil for just a minute or two and then turn off the heat and let sit for 45 minutes, or what?

Q - you say do not grind up the seed. This seems to be biggest diff b/t HMF and Alien. Can you battle this one out publicly? To grind or not to grind , pros and cons?

Ryche writes:
When injecting spores, use at least 3cc?s per jar. 2cc? to the 4 holes, and 1cc to the center of the jar..

Q - quite a difference from Alien who says .5-1 cc per 1/2 pint jar. Is the diff due to diff jar size assumptions? 3cc's per jar would mean only 3 jars per syringe. 1 cc per jar is 10 jars per syringe - big difference. What is impact on yeild?

Onto the casing Hawkeye 50/50 tek
Ryche writes:
Put your container back in your aquiruim right on top of perlite.

That is the only mention of perlite in the tek. Some other casing teks suggest that if you are using verm on lower layer of tray, you do not need perlite below tray. Are u firmly suggesting one should use perlite layer on terrarium floor and rest trays on that?

Onto the casing Hawkeye Sterilization tek
Ryche writes:
I also sterilize my vermiculite, peat moss, and perlite in the microwave for 5 minutes before using.

Q - what sort of container do you use? Covered or open?
Is the microwave sterilization in addition to or an alternative to the pressure cooker sterilization of casing that you mention in the 50/50 tek.?

Onto the Alien tek.
Have not seen many reviews of this. Anybody favor it? I like the way it is written, very clearly and measured, but its ingredients are pretty radical compared to other teks.

(Yields Approximately 7 1/2 Pint Jars) - Thank you!!
2/3 cup of quinoa (health food store)
2/3 cup long grain brown rice (grocery store)
2 1/4 cups spring water
1 1/4 cups vermiculite (Wal-Mart)
1/8 cup flax seed (measured before grinding)
1/8 cup finch seed (measured before grinding)
1/8 cup whole grain rye (rye berries) (measured before grinding)

Wow, no rice flour, whole rice instead? And ground seeds? Pretty divergent from the other teks. I have no problem getting ingredients and the measurements are clear but would like to hear a good debate.

Finally a general question. Regardless of the substrate, i am inclined to trying the Micro-Magic filter instead of a pierce lid. Reason, i have read quite a few newbie failure stories where the answer keeps coming back to not enuf air. For a few buck it seems the filters are worth trying.

Q - The most confusing thing about the use of the filter is the suggestion that you need the jar lid on while the jar is in pressure cooker, but then need to unscrew the band in order to take off the lid after the sterilization. I am afraid that by unscrewing the band you will loosen the filter and ruin the whole idea. Am i missing something here? Does the filter stay adhered to the jar even as you carefully remove the band? Or is it possible u don't need the lid in the pressure cooker?

Q - will using a filter instead of a lid with holes affect the rate of moisture loss? Does that require compensation?

Thanks for bearing with all these questions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefarmer_maggot
Apologies on spelling HawksEye and Alien [Re: farmer_maggot]
    #371407 - 08/14/01 02:00 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Hard to type in these little text areas.

OfflineBBShrizz
enthusiast
Re: Apologies on spelling HawksEye and Alien [Re: farmer_maggot]
    #371414 - 08/14/01 02:07 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

i would start with the PF tek. you don't need to worry about a pressure cooker, and the formula is easier to prepare.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Hawkeye and Alient tek questions [Re: farmer_maggot]
    #371433 - 08/14/01 02:50 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

>Q - what is the target jar profile that the above contents can
>fill? i.e 7 1/2 pint jars? 10 1 pint jars? Seriously i have no
>idea and it is not mentioned in the tek.
If I sum up the spoons of dry ingredients, and double the volume of birseed since it?s steeped, I come to 60 tbls, which is app 2 pints, which makes it 4 x 1/2 punt jars.
When you mix flower with "carrier" substrate(eg. vermiculite), the substrate tends to get airy, so I would say this mixture is enough for 6 x 1/2 pint jars. But this is only theory!

>Q - can you be more specific. By "steep" do you mean bring
>the water to boil for just a minute or two and then turn off
>the heat and let sit for 45 minutes, or what?
Yes, more or less. Until the first kernels begin to explode.

>Q - quite a difference from Alien who says .5-1 cc per 1/2
>pint jar. Is the diff due to diff jar size assumptions? 3cc's per
>jar would mean only 3 jars per syringe. 1 cc per jar is 10
>jars per syringe - big difference. What is impact on yeild?
None. The only diff. is that the jars with more spore suspension germinate faster and get a faster start.

>Some other casing teks suggest that if you are using verm
>on lower layer of tray, you do not need perlite below tray
If you have a sufficient number of casings in a container, you don?t need perlite.
If you have only one small casing in a big rubbermaid, then you need it.

>Onto the casing Hawkeye Sterilization tek Ryche writes:
>I also sterilize my vermiculite, peat moss, and perlite in the
>microwave for 5 minutes before using.
>Q - what sort of container do you use? Covered or open?
Plastic tupprware with a lid, or a bowl covered with a plate.
Closed, but not airtight, steam must escape. I mix the ingredients, water to the target water content, than ad one or 2 spoons more and microwave.

>Is the microwave sterilization in addition to or an alternative
>to the pressure cooker sterilization of casing that you
>mention in the 50/50 tek.?
Alternative.

>Q - will using a filter instead of a lid with holes affect the
>rate of moisture loss? Does that require compensation?
Usually not.
I use the polyfill stuffing filter tek.
But be carefull: if you use the filter and want to piece it with the syringe on 4 points, then you have to close those holes somehow after it.
The filter is more suitable for shakeable kinds of substrates, where you unscrew the lid when inoculating the substrate.

With the PF tek I use a double layer of alu foil, the second layer only loosely on, then after the sterilisation I take the upper layer of, inoculate through the second layer, and put the upper layer back on.
Newer had problems with air exchange.

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

Edited by Anno on 08/14/01 04:21 AM.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags