Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLibertycapper
Doctor Banner
 User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia
Shrooms at bottom of casing container.
    #3709642 - 01/31/05 07:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I just had a general question regarding casings. I finished my first casing recently and after exhausted I pulled it out of the container it was in and noticed three or four moldy mushrooms that must have been growing into the perlite I had as a bottom layer. I used an aluminum baking pan and had a bottom layer of perlite, my colonized and broken up cakes, then my casing layer of peat/verm/oyster shell. All the shrooms from the casings looked fine and there was no other mold or rot in the cakes. Should I be worried about this and if so, can I rectify it? There was a VERY BRIEF time(a day) that I probably should have dumped more casing material down the sides, but nothing major.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnonymousNewbie
Mad Scientist
Loc: England
Re: Shrooms at bottom of casing container. [Re: Libertycapper]
    #3709766 - 01/31/05 07:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Light / Oxygen, it really the reason that the part of the casing that pins, pins... But it sounds like you controlled that pretty well. I would not use perlite in as a bottom layer in the casing. I would put it around the outside of the casing somehow. Not touching any substrate or casing soil. That could be your problem...

--------------------
Don't grow mushrooms if it is illegal where you live.

OfflineAwesomepossum
Blue Thumb
Loc: Los Estados Unidos
Re: Shrooms at bottom of casing container. [Re: AnonymousNewbie]
    #3709989 - 01/31/05 08:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If you remove your casings completely from their containers, you can expect growth all around the outside of the casing... maybe 50 - 100% more surface area for shroom appearance.

--------------------
Here's part of a poem!!

I looked into my palm and saw what we had feared the most
The mouse had gnawed into the frond while they had sought the GHOST
The blender's better blunder blurred the butter's bluish hue
My sugar cube exploded, tiny shrapnel blinded YOU!

Don't panic! There's more. Just ask!

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Shrooms at bottom of casing container. [Re: Awesomepossum]
    #3710281 - 01/31/05 08:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It must have been that brief period or you never filled the sides enough.  The only time they grow on the bottom or sides IME is when light gets through the container or down the sides of it. 

Maybe since you were using an aluminium pan it reflected down the sides from one small area on the casing that was open:shrug:

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Shrooms at bottom of casing container. [Re: Libertycapper]
    #3710287 - 01/31/05 09:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Oh yeah, the rest of your booms are fine too. Enjoy!

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate