Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedopemaster
old hand
Loc: A shitty town in Western ...
Is growing mushrooms really this easy?
    #367625 - 08/06/01 09:58 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

So I've been growing mushrooms for the past few months and the thing that I notice is it's incredibly easy and basically nothing to it. I started out with 12 1/2 pint jars with a brown rice vermiculite mixture. I sterilized them using he old steam method because I don't have a pressure cooker. I cooked the jars twice; once and that 24 hours later. When I inoculated the jars I didn't use any glove box tek just a shit load of Lysol, some rubbing alcohol to sterilize my syringe needle, and I wore a dust mask. About a month into colonization I bought some more mason jars because I still had another syringe left. I accidentally bought pint jars instead of half pint but I sterilized them the same way and inoculated them and now I have 9 pint jars ready to be birthed in about 2 weeks (lost 3 to contamination). So it came time to birth my half pint jars so I got the idea of taking some of the active mycelium from the colonized jars and try and colonize the 12 empty jars I now have. From the half pint jars I only lost 2 due to contamination and I saved one cake to cut pea sized peace's of mycelium off to colonize more jars. So I prepared 12 half pint jars and 3 pint jars that I had lost to contamination. I opened the sterilized jars up and dumped the loose vermiculite into the lid while I took a pair of tweezers I had sterilized pushed some of the cake aside and shoved the pea sized peace of colonized jar in the hole I had just maid and replaced the vermiculite and lid. I checked them yesterday and I see definite mycelium growth and no signs of contamination after 2 weeks. It's actually going faster because I didn't have to wait for spores to germinate.
So to sum everything up I have 3 trays of half pint cakes that I cased fruiting right now, 9 pint jars that are going to be birthed and cased in about 2 weeks and 15 more jars on the way (tentatively) and it's fucking easy! If I'd have known growing mushrooms is this simple and fun I would have started growing a long time ago. The trays that I have cased now I would estimate by the looks of it that when this flush is picked (in a day or so) that I'm going to have between 2.5 and 3 oz dry. I can't wait to go to my friends house and just throw this big bag of mushrooms on the table and see the look on his face.

"Worry bout yours cuz I'mma get mine..."
J.C. from N'Sync

--------------------
"Worry bout yours cuz I'mma get mine..."
J.C. from N'Sync

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMordor
cyborg savage

Loc: North
Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: dopemaster]
    #367641 - 08/06/01 10:37 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

it can be that easy but I wouldn't count on 3 oz dry, probably more like 1/2 - 1 oz by the sounds of it.
They shrivel up a lot more than you think.
Try switching to using rye and quart jars and casing with coco fiber. even easier once you get the hang of it.

It's life. The dark that binds you. - InFlames.

--------------------
It's life. The dark that binds you. - InFlames.

OfflineMattyB
enthusiast
Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: Mordor]
    #367654 - 08/06/01 11:08 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like you're a mycologist in the making. I agree--the method you're using (transferring pieces from a colonized cake into other jars) works perfectly with rye grain. The stuff is much easier to work with and promotes rhizomorphic growth better than rice cakes. If you don't have it already, pick up a copy of The Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Stamets. You'll advance light years in your ability to cultivate.

Edited by MattyB on 08/06/01 12:09 PM.

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: dopemaster]
    #367668 - 08/06/01 11:37 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Your beginners luck is good to hear of. Problems arise when we try free ourselve from spore vendors

Offlinethegoldenteacher
enthusiast
Loc: central NC
Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: puscle]
    #367681 - 08/06/01 12:08 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

nah making syringes from prints is easy.

Originally no one is deluded.
-bankei

--------------------
peace, happiness, love, girls, joy, euphoria, warmth, fuzzy, girls, touch, feeling, girls.
-me

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: thegoldenteacher]
    #367684 - 08/06/01 12:17 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I simply skipped using syringes and went straight to grain. NO vermiculite either. It is rather easy if you just use your head. Actually, it is not as easy as growing green plants , and the satisfaction is greater. Well it is more a tradeoff . Shrooms or somthing to eat.

Offlineliquidplaya
Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: kingkc]
    #367695 - 08/06/01 01:02 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

What is rye grain? Ive never heard of this stuff.. do I need a special kind like I do with brown rice flour.. ie Organic?
where is this stuff sold?

OfflineMattyB
enthusiast
Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: liquidplaya]
    #367730 - 08/06/01 02:30 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Rye grain, also referred to as rye berries, is simply another kind of grain, just like oats or wheat. Rye is preferable in cultivation because the large size of the kernels prevents them from all sticking together, allowing the cultivator to shake the jars to evenly distribute the mycelium, thus speeding up the growth process significantly. Rye is generally used to make spawn, which is simply a jar of colonized rye that is used to further inoculate your substrate (such as brf and vermiculite cakes). However, the rye can be used as a fruiting substrate as well. Organic is preferred since there won't be any chemicals or preservatives on it. You can get it at health food stores or co-op supermarkets.
If you're a beginner, it's better to keep it simple and move on to working with rye after you've got your technique down.

Edited by MattyB on 08/06/01 03:32 PM.

OfflineTweeq
Tweeq of Nature
Male

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: MattyB]
    #25718344 - 01/02/19 09:50 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

And how about rye berries in spawnbag with injection port? Sounds like a pretty much 'watertight' and rather foolproof method to me. We're thinking about going thatwayfor our first bulk grow (mix with hpoo and straw after colonization)

Invisiblejuniperus
Frim Fram Sauce

Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: Tweeq]
    #25718362 - 01/02/19 10:03 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Tweeq said:
And how about rye berries in spawnbag with injection port? Sounds like a pretty much 'watertight' and rather foolproof method to me. We're thinking about going thatwayfor our first bulk grow (mix with hpoo and straw after colonization)

Do you realize you just bumped a 17 year old thread? :oldman: Shit man...

--------------------
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind - this is the teaching of the Buddhas

OfflineProton
Neutral
I'm a teapot

Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: juniperus] * 1
    #25718415 - 01/02/19 10:34 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

I'm convinced that these necros happen because the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page ate always ancient... Maybe this could be updated to show more recent threads somehow? Would stop people stumbling upon out of date info too..

OfflineLosTresOjos
Humano
I'm a teapot
Loc: Hurling Through Space
Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: Proton]
    #25718540 - 01/02/19 11:39 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

It happens to the best of us.
The suggestions are indeed ancient.

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: LosTresOjos]
    #25718636 - 01/02/19 12:29 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Growing mushrooms can be easy or hard. Scale determines a lot. The larger you look to go the more important closing vectors becomes.

OfflineTweeq
Tweeq of Nature
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: LosTresOjos]
    #25718640 - 01/02/19 12:29 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Haha no I didn't even notice. To my defence I'm reading off the screen of my phone and yeah. Before you know it you're back in some ancient thread:)

Invisiblejuniperus
Frim Fram Sauce

Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: Tweeq]
    #25718928 - 01/02/19 02:16 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Tweeq said:
Haha no I didn't even notice. To my defence I'm reading off the screen of my phone and yeah. Before you know it you're back in some ancient thread:)

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to reprimand you haha (although that :oldman: looks menacing I just used it because he's an old man lol). I just was very surprised to see such an old thread. Sorry if I came off hostile!

But yea, what Pasty said. Well put.

--------------------
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind - this is the teaching of the Buddhas

OfflineTweeq
Tweeq of Nature
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is growing mushrooms really this easy? [Re: juniperus]
    #25718975 - 01/02/19 02:45 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

No worries! I'm not offended at all. I'd much rather be corrected than left in the dark.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds