Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefalseliberty
Prophet
Loc: Not The U.S.
Brief History of Cannabis Laws
    #3671409 - 01/24/05 05:45 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I orginally posted this as a reply but got a PM suggesting that I make it a thread, so here it is:

The main problem with marijuana being legalized is that it has always been associated with a deviant subculture. First it was the Mexican migrants, then black jazz musicians, beatniks, bohemians, hippies, and so on. While alcohol has always been embraced by the middle class. Since the prohibition on alcohol was lifted, Anslinger, the first US drug czar needed a new evil. He started a campaign against marijuana full of outright lies and propaganda, funded by US taxpayer money. The images that he invoked are still in the minds of many Americans, and shaped the way the world viewed  marijuana. In 1960 he drafted the International Narcotics Act which was signed by over 100 countries, it basically said that if you legalize anything your nation will be subjected to sanctions, which means that they couldn't trade with other nations on the list, effectively bankrupting the country. To this day no country has withdrawn from the treaty, not even the Netherlands, or Switzerland, Brazil, etc, due to the USA's threats on isolation. The Netherlands and other progressive countries decriminalized it, they didn't legalized it. The coffee shops are in a grey zone of legality, hence the famous and only American run coffee shop in Amsterdam, The Grey Zone. (While no other country will withdraw from the INA out of fear of US reprisals, it's OK for the US to withdraw from the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty, which bans new nukes, and the Kyoto Treaty , which aims to stop global warming :shocked:, hippocrites) Back to the Pot, Nixon viewed marijuana as one of the main causes (along with LSD) for dissent against the Vietnam War so a new campaign was waged against it, effectively making it a schedule 1 narcotic the that infamous 1970 bill that passed congress 100-0. Jimmy Carter (who allegedly smoke a joint with willy nelson on top of the White House) planned to decriminalize it, however, his chief of staff was slandered because of a picture of him doing coke at a Hollywood party. So Carter had to seem tough on drugs so the decriminalization went out the window. The worst person for MJ was Reagan (not a good man or president) who started the war on drugs followed with a whole new round of brainwashing propaganda. Clinton was no better because in his 8 years twice as many people were arrested for pot then in Reagan's. Again Democrats had to seem like they were tough on drugs. So the answer is to get as many people smoking as you can, make it as common as having a beer after work, in other words overgrow the government, so we can rip up the International Narcotics Act and roll one up with the scraps.  :stoned: :stoned: :stoned:

--------------------
"You better hope we've got some Thorazine in this bag or your in some big f*cking trouble." Hunter S. Thompson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
Re: Brief History of Cannabis Laws [Re: falseliberty]
    #3671433 - 01/24/05 06:10 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The worst person for MJ was Reagan (not a good man or president) who started the war on drugs

Actually it was Richard Nixon that coined the phrase "War on Drugs" in 1968 so he could run for president on a "tough on crime" stand.

The problem with this term "War on Drugs" is that the law enforcement agencies around the country train their officers as soldiers. The trouble is, a soldier must have an enemy and for the war on drugs, the enemy has become the American people.

--------------------

OfflineCagedHominid
TribalAdventurer

Loc: south texas, terra
Re: Brief History of Cannabis Laws [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3672318 - 01/24/05 12:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

that's a really interesting and informative post, falseliberty. thankyou for taking the time to post it for all to see.

do you think that there will be any swing the pendelum of anti-pot? i mean, if you were to wager- will pot become legal, or at least any less illegal?

--------------------
"It's after the end of the world," whispers the homeless man on the corner, "don't you know that yet?"

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

Re: Brief History of Cannabis Laws [Re: CagedHominid]
    #3672337 - 01/24/05 12:26 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

very nice..you should type up a little bit on the marijuana tax act in 1937, which was the reason it became illegal in the first place.

cagedhominid: in my opinion, it will become legal when enough states have passed decriminalization laws and medical laws regarding cannabis. it's already impossible for the federal government to enforce prohibition, and the common sense of the general public is beginning to prevail...anywhere these initiatives have been voted on, they pass overwhelmingly, and public opinion polls are always in favor of relaxing the laws against pot. even senior citizens! we can't be ignored forever. (won't be legal in the next 4 years though, i can guarantee that)

Offlinefalseliberty
Prophet
Loc: Not The U.S.
Re: Brief History of Cannabis Laws [Re: Hendostan]
    #3673092 - 01/24/05 03:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ya I was a little hard on reagan, probally because I grew up in his term and not nixons.
Hendostan: I'm in comlpete agreement

--------------------
"You better hope we've got some Thorazine in this bag or your in some big f*cking trouble." Hunter S. Thompson

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: Brief History of Cannabis Laws [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3673896 - 01/24/05 07:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

13eetleJuice said:
[The problem with this term "War on Drugs" is that the law enforcement agencies around the country train their officers as soldiers. The trouble is, a soldier must have an enemy and for the war on drugs, the enemy has become the American people.

Yeah.....from what I've heard, all around the world cops don't give 2 shits about drugs, except if a very large quantity is involved. The US LEOs, sadly, are determined to get every last one of us in jail........I mean shit, people have gotten arrested for having a couple seeds on the floor of their car, and charged with "conspiracy to cultivate and distribute a controlled substance".... that's some serious jail time too....only in the "Land of the Free"  :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags