Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
The Dark Tower
    #3671408 - 01/24/05 05:44 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Who here has read these incredibly good and incredibly crazy books by Stephen King, probrobly the best writer in teh last 50 years?

They were practily designed for stoners i dont want to give anythign away to people who might not have read them but i want to give you a feeling of how crazy it gets.

there is a talkign train, a 70 foot bear with a radar dish spinning on its head, lobsters as big as dogs that can cut through human flesh like a hot knife through butter with their pinchers, there are vampires and demons, there are ALOT of magic doors, there is a real haunted house, and there is a talking animal called a billy bumbler that is part racoon part dog part some weird weasel thing, a weapon called a Sneech that is named after the harry potter books, Lightsabers, and thats only scratching the surface of the weirdness of these books.

now ill try to describe the type of story it is. Imagine lord of the rings execpt not set in a fairytale land. Imagine it was set in a post appocolyptic world that is reverted backwards in society. They live among the remains of a world much like our own but no one really knows anything about the things that still linger. Now imagine that this weird world is somehow linked with "our" world. Strange enough? it gets better.

the hero character is for all intensive purposes Clint Eastwood from the man with no name trilogy.(for those of you who arent in the know the Good the Bad and The Ugly is the final installment of said triliogy.) Now clint was just a kick ass gunslinger, in the world of hte Dark Tower a gunslinger is more or less a nobleman, a knight. But instead of a sword they have guns. And the first "gunslinger"(he didnt have a gun he had a sword even in these books) was a guy named Auther Eld. or King Auther if you like.

Anyways ill stop there before i give away too much. Anyways its an epic quest type story in teh style of a western but with fantasic and supernatural forces at work too.

One more thing, and i think this is part of the genious of King. In the books the Dark Tower stands at the Center of the world, and if you look at all the books King has written The Dark Tower is his Magnum Opus and it sits at the center of everythign he's written. The Dark Tower ties like 15 seemingly unrelated books into the same "universe".

Its 7 books and all of them are long execpt the first one.

ill list their names in case anyone is interested.

I Gunslinger
II The Drawing of the Three
III The Waste Lands
IV Wizard and Glass
V The Wolves of the Calla
VI Song of Susannah
VII The Dark Tower

Now if you liked the Lord of the Rings, or any of Stephen Kings other work, then you will most likely like this book. LotR is without a doubt written better, not that DT was ritten poorly of course, its only that Tolkein was a master of words, and very very few people can be compared to him as far as the language is concerned. Now on the other hand you have the stories and i have to saw i think i like the Dark Tower better.

Has anyone else read them here? if so what did you think?

peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
Re: The Dark Tower [Re: blaze2]
    #3672522 - 01/24/05 01:26 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I read the first three... back when there were only three... it was confusing as shit because I read them in reverse order.

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
    #3672926 - 01/24/05 03:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

in like 96 i started reading the first one, and then stopped because i liked it, and decided i wouldnt read it until he finished it. I was afraid he'd die and i'd never get to learn what happened

so now its finished but i have no free time anymore
hmmm
still planning to read them

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

InvisibleSupernova
Stranger
Male
Re: The Dark Tower [Re: Help on the Way]
    #3672977 - 01/24/05 03:27 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I read the gunslinger back in the 80s and have been a devoted SK/DT reader ever since. I loved the Dark Tower cycle from "beginning" to "end". After completing the books I bought the audio books and have been listenting to them while traveling and while working out. I'm on book 7. SK is a master.

OfflinePinballWizard
Naive and Gullible as usual

#3674251 - 01/24/05 08:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hmmm...  you just inspired to go read Apt Pupil which I read half of months ago.  Thanks.  :thumbup:

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3674281 - 01/24/05 08:13 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I am the Dark Man, destroyer of worlds. I breed chaos and mayhem. I exist to bring violence and death. I have destroyed countless societies and worlds. I am reborn whenever I die. All tremble before my power.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: The Dark Tower [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3675698 - 01/24/05 11:50 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, dark tower = stephen king's best work

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The Dark Tower [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3675882 - 01/25/05 12:56 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The first 3 books are his best work, undoubtedly. I have left the sixth book about halfway through, because I think it is getting dumb. His writing style is lacking. It seems like he rushed the last 3 books. I personally think he had made this great and awesome story, and didnt have a perfect plan for ending it, probably just had some plot framework.

That being said, I used to think SK was the greatest author.....when i was 14. I suggest you read all of Douglas Adams, and Tom Robbins works, also Isaac Asimov. Carlos Casteneda too.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Re: The Dark Tower [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3676075 - 01/25/05 02:43 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I havent read Douglas Adams or Robbins but ive read Isaac Asimov and ive been meaning to get into Carlos Casteneda's.

I worded what i said wrong I mean that i think steven king is our generations greatest story teller, not necasarily the best writer.

You should read the last book and a half it does get slow for a while during song of susannah but it gets better at least i think it does. I thought pretty much what you did for awhile there, that it was on the brink of just being too much, but he brings it all back together by the end. Again at least i think he did. Besides you fucking read over 2000 pages of story you might as well finish it. Plus the very end is really good. As steven king would put it, Its a mind fuck.

Im a sucker for a good western so i really like the 4th novel the. I have to say that i dont cry much at movies or when im reading or anything like that, but i did cry at the end of Rolands story. It really got to me.

Have you ever read Hearts in Atlantis psilocyberin? Its probrobly my fav king book other than the dark tower, that or the talisman/black house, but they are completely different animals.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlineseethe303
enthusiast

Loc: over the rainbow
    #3676780 - 01/25/05 08:47 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I am a huge DT fan. I've read all of them, plus all the SK books related to the DT...

nevertheless I was quite dissapointed with the last three DT books.

'go then...there are other worlds than these..."

heh.

in an interview SK said he was inspired to write the first Dark Tower book: The Gunslinger during a mescaline trip.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Re: The Dark Tower [Re: seethe303]
    #3677170 - 01/25/05 10:09 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

hey, are all 7 DT books out then?

Offlineseethe303
enthusiast

Re: The Dark Tower [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3677196 - 01/25/05 10:17 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yup, the last one came out in Sept.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3681781 - 01/26/05 02:30 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I will get aroud to finishing them one day. I dont think i have read the other SK books you were referring to, but I have read almost everything else by him, including The Stand: unabridged version (1200+ pages) and that is one of my favorites of his.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#3682803 - 01/26/05 11:30 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yea teh Stand is one of his best. 

Hearts in Atlantis is 5 interconnected short stories and novella's that span from 1950's to 1999.  it revolves around these three kids that grew up in the 60's.  How they dealt with the times.  There is a little bit of "supernatural" in it, but very little.  Its so real, it just seems like this stuff had to have happened, some is halarious, some is sadder than shit.  I cryed at the end.  On the cover it says :peace::heart: = information.  Thats as good a description of the book as any.

The talisman is a strange book that was co-written with peter straub.  black house is the sequel.  In the Talisman, a young kids mother is dying of cancer(steven kings own mom died of cancer) and her son must travel across america in search of a "talisman" that can save her.  I know that sounds cliche but its one of those 800 page fantasy adventures that are hard to explain without cliches.  Jack can "flip" into an alernate United States called the Territory's.  Its smaller, so walking like 3 feet there translates to 9 feet in the "real" america. 

Black house takes up Jacks story once he is like 35 or something like that.  Hes a cop, and remembers nothing about the first book, he's retired but when a serial killer starts to murder little kids in his town he investigates, and is forced to remember his past experiances. 

Anyways Black house and Hearts in Atlantis, both tie into the Dark Tower.  In atlantis there are low men, and in blackhouse the killer is a servant of the Crimson King and is looking for breakers. 

Atlantis is probrobly king's best pure writing.  I mean as far as story goes Dark Tower is better, but In Atlantis King wrote about some really mundane things, and yet the book NEVER got boring.  I read the whole thing in two days.  You have to read it to understand what im talking about, but :peace::heart: = information really is the best description i can think of. 

peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Offlineseethe303
enthusiast

#3683166 - 01/26/05 01:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I totally agree about Hearts in Atlantis. I love that book.

I'm pretty sure Straub and King are working on a third book in the Talisman/Black House sequence...

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3684135 - 01/26/05 04:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

have you read any of his pseudonym stuff "Richard Bachman"?

OfflinePinballWizard
Naive and Gullible as usual

#3684218 - 01/26/05 05:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I think Roadwork may have been a Bachman book. A great read too, I might add.

OfflineCrestfallen
some kindasomethin'

Re: The Dark Tower [Re: PinballWizard]
    #3686628 - 01/26/05 11:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

What a coincidence, I JUST started reading the gunslinger today on the advice of one of my professors. I really like it even thought I'm not halfway through it. Cool thread.

--------------------
The above statement is completely fictional and composed solely for the purpose of entertainment.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Re: The Dark Tower [Re: Crestfallen]
    #3686722 - 01/26/05 11:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

roadwork is bachman. so is running man

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #3686724 - 01/26/05 11:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

started the 7th book but havent had the time or motivation to get too far in it. I was disappointed with wizard and glass, but Wolves of the Calla was pretty entertaining.

I just hope the end of the story is tight.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order