Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefirsttimer101
Stranger
Slow colonization--need advice please!
    #3668236 - 01/23/05 02:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm new to growing and chose to grow in jars using organic rye grain. I can get the agar plates covered with mycelium, and after I transfer mycelium from the petri plates to my jars, the mycelium does grow out- pretty quickly at first. But then the growth slows down- way down. At first I was using the instruction from the book by O.T. Oss and O.N. Oeric. Their recommendations for the ratio of water to rye are off, or so I've read, so I've been using 2/3 cup rye to 1 cup of water. Is this still too dry? Could this be responsible for the slow growth? I'm confused because it's not contamination, so far I haven't had any contam problems as I'm very diligent with the sterilization procedures. Any help would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Slow colonization--need advice please! [Re: firsttimer101]
    #3668338 - 01/23/05 03:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i respect that you are trying all of these things for a newcomer to cultivating. but sometimes its better to start slow and easy. once you have mastered a technique move onto something harder which makes your hobby that much funner cause you get to make your hobby more interesting as time goes on. so if you do want to take my advice i would say start with the pf tek like all other newbs to growing. here http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23593

more for you to read http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23427

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Edited by lemon_lw (01/23/05 03:16 PM)

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Slow colonization--need advice please! [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3668439 - 01/23/05 03:30 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I started out with Oss & Oeric back in the 70's with success. This is an oldie but goodie with many flushes possible. I too altered the water content slightly (raised it). Incubate those jars at 82-84F. for best results. Here is a Oss & Oeric grow I did a couple years ago which I call Ancient Tek.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinefirsttimer101
Stranger
Re: Slow colonization--need advice please! [Re: hyphae]
    #3668497 - 01/23/05 03:41 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you both for the advice. I'm going to stick with the rye because I've already made a substantial investment in jars and rye grain. Hyphae, you did a great job with the rye jars, that is the end result that I'm looking for! I'm growing in a closet, the temp is around 80 F, the closet is as sterile as possible, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong! Maybe I should be opening the jars to facilitate air exchange? Oss and Oeric say this is only necessary after you've added casing soil but I can't think of anything else that could be slowing down the growth. Or maybe I'm being too impatient, how long is too long when it comes to substrate colonization?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3668594 - 01/23/05 04:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Your lids should always be loosened (1/4-1/2 turn) to allow for gas exchange or they will stall guaranteed! 80F. will work for incubating. I also shake the jars once they're around 20% colonized to redistribute the colonizing rye and hasten colonization. GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinefirsttimer101
Stranger
Re: Slow colonization--need advice please! [Re: hyphae]
    #3668916 - 01/23/05 05:11 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks so much, I think you saved my little project! A few weeks ago, I had one jar out of 30 that had been completely permeated by mycelium, the other 29 were barely growing. However, part of the rye (at the top of the jar) also looked contaminated. I wasn't sure whether the white growth in the rest of the jar was in fact mycelium or some unknown contaminant. Upon close inspection I noticed that the lid was a loose and inverted, the others were all screwed on tight and flipped over after sterilization so tha the rubber seal was facing down. I guess they've been starved for air, wish the book I've been using as a reference had mentioned this! I guess that you have to risk contamination in order to get the proper aeration. Thanks again.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3669467 - 01/23/05 07:42 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Slightly loosened lids are not a problem as far as contams are concerned. Jars should be kept in a semi-sterile environment (fruiting chamber :wink: ) also as the jars colonize there will be metabolic waste produced as the mycelium digests substrate this gas will provide positive pressure in the jar and keep contams from entering. It is this gas when allowed to build up under pressure (sealed airtight) that stalls jars so many times. Again GL and welcome

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags