Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
***FOUND AND BOUGHT IT****Whats the best Desktop Computer currently available?
    #3659180 - 01/21/05 03:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well didnt get any replies for this thread but I got my computer...its pretty crazy here it is:

This is the housing only Im puttin in my own EL wire and its chromed on some parts...its the Samuria ATX Chassis:

BattleStar 4000 System with Raidmax Samurai ATX Chasis (tower)
MSI K8T NEO2-F motherboard
AMD Athlon 64-Bit 4000+ retail processor (4.0 GHZ)
1 GIG PC3200 DDR400
BFG 256 MG GEFORCE FX 6800 upgraded Ultra AGP 8X grafix card
Onboard 8.1 Compliant Digital Integrated Sound
AOPEN Silver 16x DVD+-RW
AEOPEN Silver 16X DVD-ROM
Western Digital 200GB 7200 RPM SATA Hardrive
Onboard Integrated Lan
PCTEL 56K PCI MOdem
Widnows XP Home O/S
Enhanced PS2 keyboard
5 piece speaker set

----My monitor is gonna be a 72 inch Plasma  :smirk:!! already got the card

I was hoping you guys can help me out on this one.....Im looking to invest in a computer that wont be outdated by the end of this year in other words the best desktop computer that will still be up to par 5 years down the line.  However, I dont want to pay extra money (alien ware) for example just for something that looks cool.  I want the best fuctionable fastest or watever currelty on the market.  I can be a tower type of thing, I dont mind the size just the best one.  Any suggestions?

Edited by PsillyNilly (01/23/05 05:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: ***FOUND AND BOUGHT IT****Whats the best Desktop Computer currently available? [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3669043 - 01/23/05 05:47 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Just wanted to bump this thread for anybody who wants to know....from what I ahve researched, this is the best computer out there if you are willing to invest in one.....

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: ***FOUND AND BOUGHT IT****Whats the best Desktop Computer currently available? *DELETED* [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3669405 - 01/23/05 07:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: ***FOUND AND BOUGHT IT****Whats the best Desktop Computer currently available? [Re: poke smot!]
    #3669559 - 01/23/05 08:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Wish you woulda said that when I was asking for advice earlier....Ill print this out and bring it to the computer guys.  Shit and I wnted the best :frown:

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: ***FOUND AND BOUGHT IT****Whats the best Desktop Computer currently available? [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3669684 - 01/23/05 08:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Are you sure you can get the PC5000?...I just searched the internet and couldnt find anything on it. I want to do all that multimedia stuff and dont really want for gaming. Please help

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #3672092 - 01/24/05 11:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Heh i bet you could of got all them parts minus the flashy case for a lot cheaper then a prebuilt.

That machine will be fine for new games atleast for a bit. PCI express and 64 bit are new. I just got a new processor for my machine to go from 2100 3000 and am holding off on all new stuff till things get settled.

P4 are prefered by most who do video stuff. I can encode standard mpeg1 about 2x as fast as play time. Rip and transcode dvds on the fly.

Encoding mpeg2 dvd tho takes a while. I am not sure exactly since i rarely do it. Most stuff i download/capture anymore is tv shows in xvid and divx(i rip into lossless huffyuv codec). Tmpeg em to mpg1 or 2 and aburn em as vcd/svcds.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: ***FOUND AND BOUGHT IT****Whats the best Desktop Computer currently available? [Re: baraka]
    #3673007 - 01/24/05 03:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well the flashy case was only an extra 40 dollars compared to the other boring cases. The PCI express Video card can be added on to my system down the line once I start gettin paychecks and stuff but ADR is indusry standard from what I hear and the quatro gives me the availabilty to add on another 600 dollar PCI express if I really needed too...

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#3673276 - 01/24/05 04:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i'll trade you a testicle for it :wink: really, though, my poor little 450mhz is still chugging along. ur pc is smoking. i like the case. i'd haveshelled out the extra $$ for it too.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Invisibledressel11
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Milky Way
    #3673728 - 01/24/05 06:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

it would be better if it had a pci express grafx card. pci EXPRESS (and only express) is many times faster than AGP 8x.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: ***FOUND AND BOUGHT IT****Whats the best Desktop Computer currently available? [Re: dressel11]
    #3674138 - 01/24/05 07:51 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Do any of you guys actually have a PCI express card...or is this just what you've heard. Im being told that PCI express is very good but not worth the money until you actually get off your feet. 8X faster seems a little exagerated

Offlineintrigue
MMMM hard trance
 User Gallery
    #3674207 - 01/24/05 08:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

it may be many tiomes fastre but todays games are far from even coming close to useing all of the bandwidth that 8x agp can offer. the best thing that pciE has to offer right now is if u go full out and get SLI

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: ***FOUND AND BOUGHT IT****Whats the best Desktop Computer currently available? [Re: intrigue]
    #3676383 - 01/25/05 06:45 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Your computer has high end parts, but it is undoubtedly mismatched. It's like stumbling across a Porsche engine, throwing it in a Kia with Kia transmission etc. Asking this type of question on a mushroom growing board is probably not the best place to get answers.

Actually that's not the best processor around for AMD. AMD FX-55 is king. The AMD 4000+ is just the FX-53.

Also, why do you want PC4000+ if you don't even overclock? The higher RAM is only good for high overclocks to match 1:1 settings. Some good TCCD's can overclock well for most overclocks.

Also, that case is ... if you want a real case, www.lian-li.com, premium price and premium case. There's no doubting that.

Most people will fail to admit that their power supply is a limiting factor. You should probably get that checked out. If it isn't a quality power supply like Sparkle/Forton, OCZ, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, or Seasonic, then it's most likely pretty shady. If you're looking for the Rolls Royce of power supplies, you'll want the PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool Deluxe 510W. Don't be fooled by other manufacturers stating 600W or whatnot. PCP&C is the best.

I'll have to point out that you made a mistake by not getting the new nForce4 chipset with dual PCI-E by Gigabyte. That's probably the best motherboard out right now for AMD processors. If I recall correctly, MSI had some troubles because they used the nForce3 chipset instead of nForce4, which is why they weren't so popular amongst enthusiasts.

Western Digital makes OK hard drives. I'm a silent PC user myself so I prefer Seagates or Samsungs. Seagate actually makes a 400GB 7200.8 SATA model, and Maxtor makes a 300GB SATA II 16MB cache model.

You'll find some more advice over at www.ocforums.com or www.pcper.com . They'll be glad to critique your system but I'm pretty sure that most comments won't differ too much from what I've said here.

Here's some pictures of my computer, built and upgraded various times over the course of a year. I've tried to make my computer as quiet as possible and I'm glad to say that it's pretty much inaudible. It's a Lian Li V1000B case by the way:

I used to have a very flashy system. I guess you can say I grew out of the overclocking and show for a high quality, inaudible system.

Some specs for reference.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Edited by daba (01/25/05 07:26 AM)

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: ***FOUND AND BOUGHT IT****Whats the best Desktop Computer currently available? [Re: daba]
    #3677008 - 01/25/05 09:31 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I wasnt looking for flashy...I was looking for funtionality. When I didnt get any responses when I asked the question first, I just went with what people at my school and the computer shop told me. Now all of a sudden I got a $12000 Toyota with $50000 in upgrades. Ill have to stop by there today and ask them there opinion. I dont want to be stuck with a motherboard that is gonna be half ass in a few years

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract