Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChrisHippyLoser
Dope Smoker

Loc: Big Tex
colonization rate slowing?
    #3658512 - 01/21/05 01:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

afoaf has a tnt incubator with like 10 jars and 3 bags in it...there is a digital thermometer to montior temp. the temp gnerally stays right around 85F, but has fluctated some. the bags were added when the jars were mostly colonized and the heater had to be adjusted to make up for it.

anyways... the jars were innnoc'd on Dec.24, all 12 1/2 pint pf tek brf/verm/h20 jars were showing good growth by day 5...ksss btw...now here it is jan 21 and most all of the jars are completely colonized...they've all been flipped upside down and theres just a couple stragglers with just a little portion on the bottom of the jar yet to colonize...

my question is, it seems like the growth rate slowed at some point...why would that happen?

the tnt has been opened most every day to check for growth and contams...no contams have shown up...i beleive the substrate was a little thick, he used sta-green brand verm. it seems like it was somewhat fine, so the jars didn't have nice air pockets in them although he was careful to try and keep the mix light and fluffy and not pack it tight down into the jars....

its not really any big deal, just curious why the slowing growth rate?

thanks all

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: colonization rate slowing? [Re: ChrisHippyLoser]
    #3658565 - 01/21/05 01:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

part of it has to do with less oxygen in the jar as time goes on cause the mycelium is using it.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineChrisHippyLoser
Dope Smoker

Re: colonization rate slowing? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3658572 - 01/21/05 01:35 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

aaahhh....so maybe if he had a hepa filter he could do a forced air echange and that could help out? in the meantime should he just open anf fan out the chamber to get some fresh air in? or maybe stick a fish tank air pump hose in there?

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3658586 - 01/21/05 01:39 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

oxygen deprivation or lack of moisture will slow them down. You said you flipped em so that should get rid of the excess CO2, I wouldn't worry about trying to figure out how youre gonna get a forced air exchange without opening the jars IMO. If you wanna get them out before theyre done just cut off the uncolonized part of the cake. GL

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3658588 - 01/21/05 01:40 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

dont worry about it to much they will eventually catch up. but yes the forced air exchange works great for stalled cakes. do you happen to have tape on the jars or anything like that?

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineChrisHippyLoser
Dope Smoker

Re: colonization rate slowing? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3658704 - 01/21/05 02:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

no theres no tape on the jars....standard pf jars with brf/verm/h20 substrate filled to the lip then dry verm on top...lid screwed on with 4 holes...

its really not any big deal, i was just curious what could have caused them to slow down...i'm also curious if the slowed colonziation will make for slow pinning & fruiting...

he's got one cake that was dunked & cold shocked then rolled in verm and double end cased...he made a terrarium kinda like a chronic tek idea, but with a larger jar...that cake has been in there since last sunday...he said he can see some growth, myc taking over some of the roled on verm, but no big bumps or pins yet....

he said he was afraid maybe he rolled the cake too hard in the verm, because he was able to get a lot of the verm to stick by pushing hard, but he hasn't noticed any bruising from it...

i dunno...this is his first grow and i'm helpin some since he hasn't got a computer...i think he just needs to be patient with it..once that first cake starts to fruit some then he'll porbably feel better about the other cakes and what to do with them

Edited by ChrisHippyLoser (01/21/05 02:22 PM)

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3658734 - 01/21/05 02:26 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i agree with you. all he needs to do is wai tlike you said. 6 days usually wont show pins yet.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags