Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
America's Premier Political Essayist
    #3649968 - 01/19/05 06:37 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

For those frequent readers who believe in freedom, I am about to lay on y'all a gem beyond price. You will thank me for the rest of your lives for the following information. This man -- Bill Whittle -- has finally published his first book. I strongly suggest you buy a copy. Until you do, you can read a hell of a lot of what is in that book for free at his website, http://www.ejectejecjteject.com
I discovered his site over a year ago and have been reading each essay as he added it. One of my greatest pleasures was checking his site and finding he'd added a new essay. The titles of these essays are:

Honor
Freedom
Empire
War
Courage
Confidence
History
Victory
Magic
Trinity (part one)
Trinity (part two)
Responsibility
Power
Strength (part one)
Strength (part two)
Deterrence (part one)
Deterrence (part two)

I hope to hell he has more on the way. I've been reading political commentary for over three decades now, and there are many essayists worthy of recommendation (Mark Steyn, Michael Barone, Charles Krauthammer, PJ O'Rourke, Victor Davis Hanson, Norman Podhoretz and more), but Bill Whittle tops the list.

I suggest those frequenters of the PA&L forum who are of the anti-Capitalist, anti-American, pro-Michael Moore/Noam Chomsky/Howard Zinn Leftist tribe not read these essays. It'll only make you burst a blood vessel.

But for those who don't believe all good things come from government intervention, Whittle is required reading. One of personal favorites is "Magic", but they're all so good it's tough to single any of them out. I'd give my left nut to be able to write as well as Whittle does.

Enjoy.

Phred

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: America's Premier Political Essayist [Re: Phred]
    #3652854 - 01/20/05 08:48 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Bad link for some reason.

http://www.ejectejecteject.com/

Same thing but this one works. Weird.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3652863 - 01/20/05 08:51 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Pinky typoed it. EjectEjectEject.com kicks ass. I particularlly like Whites talkin about Noam Chomsky.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #3652950 - 01/20/05 09:32 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The guy's very funny and intelligent.

I haven't had time to read through all of them. But I thought that Honor, Magic and Courage were all impressive.

But, as a capitalist, pro-American, anti-Michael Moore, anti-Howard Zinn, pro-Chomsky leftist, I was in sharp disagreement with some of his essays. Empire and War in particular. The reasons why have been debated here way too many times, so yeah. But there were a few respondents on Mr Whittle's site who voiced some of my opinions (sadly, Whittle kicked them off the site).

From what I've read, I've got to give the guy a bit of respect. But my god is he arrogant. If he would take the blinders off and treat opposing views with an ounce of esteem, his logic would benefit.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: America's Premier Political Essayist [Re: Gijith]
    #3652987 - 01/20/05 09:47 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

How anyone as intelligent as you obviously are can swallow Chomsky's lies remains a mystery to me. Have you come across Whittle's wonderful description of Chomsky's methodology yet?

As for him "kicking off" any thoughtful commentors (as opposed to obscene flamers), I have seen no evidence he has done so. Perhaps you could point out to me an example of this?

Arrogant? I wouldn't categorize his writing as such. He is firm when he knows he's right (no firmer than Moore, Chomsky, Zinn, and other assorted Lefties who don't even have the advantage of being right) and admits when he is discussing something he hasn't yet been able to pin down fully.

I find it interesting that people level the charge of "arrogance" towards people with whom they disagree but when supporting their own convictions they exhibit every bit as much arrogance. Depends whose ox is gored, no?

The actual discussion part of this forum has been a bit flabby lately. I'd enjoy it if you were to start a new thread countering the points Whittle makes which you find weak. Should make for some good reading. Perhaps since "Empire and War" is one you find yourself in disagreement with you'd care to start with that one?

I re-read a few last night before posting the link (sorry I goofed it). "Trinity" is superb.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #3653114 - 01/20/05 10:34 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the link pinky.

I seriously recommend Empire, it's the second one I have read so far, I think there's a lot of stuff in it that will get people hot under the collar.

Personally I enjoyed it, though, I have to say that I was put off by the writers arrogant style of writing at first, seems to be quite provocative at times. Whether or not this is intentional I don't know but it certainly makes for an interesting read. I was expecting the piece to be nothing more than well-written 'I love the US and so should you' propaghanda and a part of me thinks it is but I have to admit his views on the Arab world and european attitudes are spot on. Not only that he is incredibly funny at times.

EDIT: He doesn't seem to reply to comments though and some people have raised excellent points.

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

Edited by st0nedphucker (01/20/05 10:40 AM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: America's Premier Political Essayist [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #3654965 - 01/20/05 06:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I've seen him and he's pretty good. I myself nominate http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk/
The guy is fucking laugh out loud. Latest screamers are "The UN: bringing lingonberries to a needy world" and "Farewell, my producer."
"My name is Rather. And I'm a dick." Look to the left side on the site and click to these two. You will pee.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: America's Premier Political Essayist [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3654987 - 01/20/05 06:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Meh. Iowahawk is okay for the occasional chuckle, but he's no PJ O'Rourke. Whittle is thoughtful. Iowahawk just goes for the laughs. Not that's there's anything wrong with that, but the two aren't in the same category at all.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3655055 - 01/20/05 06:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Did you see "Lingonberries"? And "farewell my producer" is much better if you know the blogger characters. I freely admit he's in it for the laughs but, fuck, he hurt me badly with these two.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: America's Premier Political Essayist [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4201684 - 05/20/05 10:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Iowahawk is definitely funny, I'll give him that. His latest bit about Lutherans in Minnesota rioting when someone desecrated the lutefisk is pretty good.

But now on to the real reason I bumped this thread.

Whittle has just put up his latest -- "Sanctuary" -- and it is great. So great. I was cutting and pasting bits to include in this post to tantalize y'all, but there are far too many so I gave up. You have to read it all. I shake my head in wonderment at the naturalness and clarity with which he gets his points across. Writing that appears that effortless isn't at all -- it involves a lot of rewriting to get it that way. Probably why it took him six months to get it done.

Read it. You will not be disappointed.

http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000125.html

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #4202286 - 05/21/05 02:36 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I went to Lutheran school!

When I sober up, (LOOK MA, NO HEADACHES!) I'll read this.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: America's Premier Political Essayist [Re: Rose]
    #4202683 - 05/21/05 07:35 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Phred, I read magic on your suggestion last time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also realized this collection of essays in book form will make a perfect b-day gift for my dad!

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: America's Premier Political Essayist [Re: looner2]
    #4202815 - 05/21/05 09:14 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

This part really hit me good. It is PERFECT!

spoiler!!!!!!!!

Here?s my thesis: Civilizations fall because they become so successful that their citizens become, over many generations of increasing security and prosperity, further and further away from the reality of the human condition. The quest for ?better? becomes so successful that after a few generations of hard work and ingenuity we have nothing left but the quest for ?perfect.? More and more effort produces fewer and smaller results, because the quest for perfection is asymptotic. Perfection is unattainable.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: America's Premier Political Essayist [Re: looner2]
    #4203451 - 05/21/05 12:45 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, his book would make a good gift for a few people I know, as well. Fortunately (for those with little spare cash) his book is essentially not much more than all the essays at his site (minus this latest one) plus an introduction. So it's possible to read it all for free.

As for your excerpt, that's one of the bits I had marked for a cut and paste to here, but there are too many others as good or better. That's why I just provided the link, though the temptation was huge to post a couple dozen or so anyway.

He promises the time between essays will be shorter from now on, but he's said that before. The thing is, the quality of his writing is so good I don't mind all that much the lengthy waits between new ones. Most times when I check his site for new stuff I end up browsing some of the already-published essays anyway.

Glad you enjoy his work. I'm sure your father will as well.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#4207568 - 05/22/05 06:18 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

From Magic
In the months leading up to the Iraq war, how many people were saying we should hold out and let diplomacy work to remove Saddam? Had diplomacy worked in the previous 12 years? No. Had anything changed since then? It had not. So how will it work this time? Magic! That?s how.

And so to believe that diplomacy, and not force, would remove Saddam from power was a case of deeply magical thinking. Plus, you get to come out against killing people! That feels good! Let?s do it!

I don't believe any but a few very insane people thought diplomacy was going to remove Saddam. What Billy did here is to create a straw man. People thought diplomacy and inspections would be able to contain Saddam. How well did diplomacy work the past 12 years? Really bad in some aspects, okay in others, but decent enough at least to make a war not neccesary. Saddam had no substantial military might and he certainly didn't have any clandestine wmd policies active.

How useful is a complex heuristic like Democrats can?t be trusted with national security?

Hot stove burns is right pretty much every time: it is an effective heuristic, certainly useful, but pretty damn narrow and limited. That is, its predictive power is good, but the things it accurately predicts are pretty limited. Democrats can?t be trusted with national security is far more complex, open to infinitely more variables and exceptions, and therefore will be less accurate. It will be proven wrong more often. Roosevelt and Truman were Democrats, and they could hardly be improved upon.

You really agree with what's italicized there, Pinky?

Only have read Magic so far and on the whole it was excellent. Extremely lucid writing, awesome analogies, very good stuff. He's not perfect though.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #4208136 - 05/22/05 09:14 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Where does this man stand on the drug war?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: America's Premier Political Essayist [Re: Ancalagon]
    #4210975 - 05/23/05 04:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I don't agree with every single sentence he has ever written, no. Although note that "could hardly be improved upon" is not the same as "couldn't have been improved upon". Once you have read his latest essay, "Sanctuary", you'll understand better his views on perfection and perfectability in human relations.

As for "removing Saddam", that could perhaps have been better phrased. If he had instead written it as "removing the threat Saddam posed", I would have no objection to his line of argument. But even then, it has long since become quite apparent that the only way to remove the threat Saddam posed was to remove Saddam -- and the rest of his Ba'athist followers -- from power.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4210981 - 05/23/05 04:48 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

What threat did Saddam pose to us?

--------------------

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: America's Premier Political Essayist [Re: Silversoul]
    #4211194 - 05/23/05 05:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

None.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder