Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Advice Needed: I woke up this morning and everything changed
    #3647558 - 01/19/05 09:15 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Last night I was scheduling a prep coarse for the law school admissions test; this morning I'm browsing music school websites. I don't know what happened during the few hours I was asleep, but this morning I felt my life's path bend drastically, and it feels amazing.

Music was my first love--my mom tells a story about our trips to toys 'R us when I was young, how I used to want musical instruments and nothing else. I've been playing piano since I was six, but always loved it too much to consider it a possiblity as a career. I needed to get a real job, have a lot of money to provide for a pretty wife and family, to buy a house in an expensive part of town. I don't know how I got these ideas in my head or when they started, but it seems to have been my default modus operandi since 5th or 6th grade.

I'm graduating USC in the spring of 2006, a year and a half from now. I'm an english major, and I was planning on going to law school shortly after that. Sure, its a lot of work, but I knew I could manage it, and get a good job with a big salary. I made this decision early to avoid worrying about what I was going to do after college. I was going to law school, easy.

Mushrooms provided the first kink in that armor. I tripped in downtown Los Angeles one day, started at those skyscrapers, and from that altered perspective they looked like enormous machines full of cells, one human nucleus to a cell, performing some mindless enzymatic task to keep the whole building working. It scared the shit out of me, I didn't want to be in one of those boxes, but when I came down, my plans hadn't changed.

Then this morning I woke up early to go surfing, but instead layed in bed and thought about my future. I thought about my time on earth and how I could best spend it, and I realized--what the fuck am I doing? I hate research, I hate law writing, I'm going to spend my life doing that? I reallyu really don't want to.

I made the decision then and there... I'm just not going. I'm in the incredibly advantageous position of having parents willing to pay for more school after my undergraduate degree, but that schooling doesn't have to be in law. So I called my parents an hour ago and found out, to my utter surprise, that they completely agree with me, and are willing to send me where-ever I can get in to help me towards a career in music performance.

So heres where you guys come in...ya'll can help me figure out my next move. Ultimately, i'd love to be a studio musician keyboard player. I have natural talent, a real good ear, but can't sight read music for the life of me. I've got a year and a half to prepare for admissions to---where?

What do I do now?

--

all I know is I am one happy motherfucker--I am so relieved to be doing the right thing for a change. I'm a musician, thats my calling, it just took me a while to realize that. I'm stoked to finally have the balls to go for it.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Advice Needed: I woke up this morning and everything changed [Re: Noviseer]
    #3647729 - 01/19/05 10:13 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

if you want to become a studio musician start fucking practicing. if you are not a phenom yet, it is unlikely you will become one. If you love music so much, become a music teacher... your chops only have to be mediocre for classroom piano. There are guys out there that have been training their whole lives to be studio players. The problem with the music world, if you want work you have to be the best.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
    #3647858 - 01/19/05 10:50 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I can relate to your decision, Noviseer. If I were you I would try and immerse myself in music as much as I could. Focus your thoughts on music, reading about music, listening to music. Get yourself fucking pumped up about the magic that is music, train yourself to be tenacious about absorbing new information. As you build the excitement and sustain it over time, you'll naturally be drawn to playing and practicing all the time.

The key is to nurture your love for music, the emotions and feelings that make it important to you. Then you'll have a reason to push yourself as far as you can, so that you'll be able to better communicate your feelings through music. Good luck on your journey dude. : )

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Advice Needed: I woke up this morning and everything changed [Re: chunder]
    #3648666 - 01/19/05 02:22 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

don't listen too closely to GratefulJim, if you're not a phenom yet you still can be.

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

Re: Advice Needed: I woke up this morning and everything changed *DELETED* [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3648773 - 01/19/05 02:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by Hendostan

Reason for deletion: .

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3649153 - 01/19/05 04:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

EEEK! Learn to sight read!!! NOW

Other than that, best of luck

--------------------

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Advice Needed: I woke up this morning and everything changed [Re: Hendostan]
    #3649170 - 01/19/05 04:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Why do you need to have a sucessful career with a high paying job? Just fucking jam with a band and have fun with the keyboard instead of setting yourself up for dissapointment.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Advice Needed: I woke up this morning and everything changed [Re: faslimy]
    #3649909 - 01/19/05 06:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm really committed to this... I'll do whatever it takes, not to be a studio musician specifically, but to be able to play or perform music for a living in any way. I'm willing to practice hours on end every day, thats a given. I'll work my ass off for this, because its what I was put on this planet to do. I am a musician, its my calling, without a shadow of a doubt. I'm unique and creative, if I get good enough, I'll be great, know what I mean? That may sound cocky, it sounds cocky to me, but I am humble and shy about most everything I do, but confident that there is brilliant music buried inside me that is going to explode out some day. I just know it. I need to get from here to there, and I'm starting right now.

--------------------

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Advice Needed: I woke up this morning and everything changed [Re: faslimy]
    #3650852 - 01/19/05 09:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

faslimy said:
Why do you need to have a sucessful career with a high paying job? Just fucking jam with a band and have fun with the keyboard instead of setting yourself up for dissapointment.

Where in my post did I say I need to have a sucessful career with a high paying job? Thats exactly what sacrificing in order to make music the center of my life... otherwise I'd stick with the law school thing

--------------------

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #3651601 - 01/20/05 01:06 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well as long as your comfortable making enough to get by I'd suggest working on your theory and teach students for times when session work and gigs won't support you.

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #3651737 - 01/20/05 01:48 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

- Buy a good laptop.
- A good midi keyboard  MK-461C USB
- Maybe Ableton and reason as you software based studio.
- And a good live controler for Ableton,  UC-33e

And learn to read musical notes.

The ultimate portable studio, IMPO.  :smile: :thumbup:

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

Edited by Fliquid (01/20/05 01:59 AM)

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #3652881 - 01/20/05 09:00 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Cheers, Noviseer. I had a similar awakening to music at the beginning of my college career.

I was desperately trying to figure out what I wanted to study. My dorm building was right next door to the music building, so I decided to walk through it, sorta see how the environment is. Then after a long discussion w/ my parents (who didn't understand how playing music was a practical career)I declared BA in Music. I graduated last month :smile:

Although I went to study music in general and business, and I'm not going to be a performer, I've entered the music industry and i help book shows.

I met a lot of piano players in the building, each one better than the last. They never had any life, they were either at class or downstairs practicing day in and day out. Music performance is an incredibly competitive field, especially piano. I started playing piano when I was 4, my parents used to say I could read music better than words at one point... But I'm not that special---there are tons of people who started that young, and kept playing. and they want your job too.

Law would've been just as competitive, so anyone who has the determination can do it. I must say I'm so pleased you are taking this drastic path change, the realization that you want to do something you love, not something you have to do to make money is the best thing that could ever happen to your career.

Learn a shitload about the best music schools in the country--Juliard, Berklee...but they probably won't accept you if you don't have a music undergrad degree...
I can recommend U of Arizona's music program, very very good.

Good luck friend! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineDistortedEyes
hello
Male

Loc: uk
Re: Advice Needed: I woke up this morning and everything changed [Re: Blastrid]
    #3657761 - 01/21/05 08:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I had the same sort of thing happen to me just a few days ago.
I had it all worked out and evrything . Then i just thought WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING!!! . Now i am looking at music schools in the UK and in the US but the only thing that worries me is that i might not be able to support myself since its so hard to get a job in music.

I  can't  read music though so i gotta learn to do that and i need to learn theory , so i'll have to buy some books and stuff.

I think you can do it if u are totally dedicated to it, try your hardest and dont give up.
Go for it!! :thumbup:

--------------------
Sometimes when I read threads visions of men sword fighting with their genitalia run through my head. - sadspacemonkey

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Advice Needed: I woke up this morning and everything changed [Re: DistortedEyes]
    #3658353 - 01/21/05 12:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Good on ya scott

Anyways, I've defined my plan a bit better...

I'm going to go ahead and graduate from usc next spring with my creative writing degree. Find a tutor who can help me learn intensive music theory, keyboard skills, and help me write three scores for application to USC's composition or film scoring major. They're very competitive (8 people admitted each year!!) but if I work hard enough I think I'll get in. I"ll also apply to a bunch of other music schools for composition, ucla, etc. That'll take me a few years. Can someone get a job with a bachelor of music in composition or film scoring? Is this a good plan?

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3661448 - 01/21/05 11:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

cool yeah, be a composer man

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #3662402 - 01/22/05 10:58 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

wow man, that is a bit of a change

I always thought it would be cool as hell to write scores for movies and shit :smile:, but with music being such a competitive field and not wanting to end up teaching it to grade school kids or something, I went with a different major.  if you're up to the challenge and have the skills, I'm sure it could be done though.

best of luck!!!

DH

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Advice Needed: I woke up this morning and everything changed [Re: spores]
    #3662536 - 01/22/05 11:47 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement everyone.  Has anyone here been through an undergraduate composition program?  I'm just trying to soak up as much info as I can.

I spent all day yesterday working on my plan.  Talked to the composition department at the thornton school of music, I'm going to talk with their advisor next monday.  I went to guitar center and talked to one of their guys about getting a symth/keyboard that I"ll be able to play live, record with, get hundreds of different sounds out of, and feels so good, I played every keyboard guitar center had and found a 'magic' one for 2 grand... time to start saving.  Then I signed up for a free first lesson at a music place called Dietz brothers, the girl at the counter said she'd be able to help me with intensive music theory as well as my keyboard skills.  I've got a bit under two years to get really good, and write three scores for the admissions process. 

I called my friend who directs a show on our campus TV station called Trojan Vision that showcases talent, interview, bio, and performance in a 15-minute segment.  She's heard me play and said she'd be happy to have me and my drummer on the show.  I'm going to san diego tomorrow to practice with him.

I called my dad who has friends in the music industry, and he set me up to have lunch with a prominent music director, next week I'm going to pick this guys brain about my options, career paths, etc.  He's going to try to get me a good internship somewhere too. 

And then I came home and practiced scales and cadences :smile:

I'm so excited, sorry for the rant :tongue2:

--------------------

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #3662616 - 01/22/05 12:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I took the first 2 years of undergrad theory/composition classes when I started college, then had to quit that stuff and actually pick/focus on a major :smirk:.

it was cool though, set me back a bit in school, but I don't regret it at all :smile:

DH

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #3666743 - 01/23/05 04:27 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Its not about wether you make it (in a big commercial way or not) if you arr good that just may happen(if you are American Hi Fi etc, it could also happen, and be over within seconds :wink: )

But what matters is that your music stands the test of time, what matters is when you die, people still hear what you have created, you are immortal.

Who says being respected jazz player , etc, thats not "muchmusic famous" isnt "making it" ,not I, for me its all about real skill, craft, respect.

:jamming:

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3667012 - 01/23/05 08:09 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Noviseer said:
I went to guitar center and talked to one of their guys about getting a symth/keyboard that I"ll be able to play live, record with, get hundreds of different sounds out of, and feels so good, I played every keyboard guitar center had and found a 'magic' one for 2 grand... time to start saving. 

Just out of curiousity, was it a Kurzweil K2500 or K2600 weighted keyboard....?    :smirk:    I have the K2500, and it is very very neat and also very complex....  If you did not get a chance to play around with one, I would highly suggest you do before you make a final decision....  I think Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater) helped with the features of this model....  It is also in the price range you stated....  Nuff said there...    :smile:

I wish I was able to have a guitar when I was growing up....  :frown:    I didn't get one till I got my Engineering degree, and got my "Cell Job"....  BUT, I do enjoy my job, as I am very good at math....  But since, I have discovered that "Music = Math + Emotion" upon my years as a growing musician....  I know very little theory, and don't know how to read music, but that don't stop me in the least bit....  :grin: 

I cannot add in how to get educationallized in music, but I say follow your heart....  I am excited for you....!    :yesnod:

ChoW~,
>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom