Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Cryonic Life Extension
    #3637689 - 01/17/05 02:48 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Q: When will patients be revived?

A: That depends on when they are cryopreserved. Cryonics technology is always improving; it is better now (2003) than it was in 2000, which was better than it was in 1990, which in turn was much better than the crude methods used on the first cryonics patients in the late 1960s. Eventually a time will come, perhaps in the mid-21st century, when human suspended animation will be perfected. In other words, it will be possible to routinely turn people "off and on" for medical time travel, space travel and other purposes. As progress continues, it will then become possible to recover people preserved at earlier times, with less perfect methods and greater degrees of injury. Cryonics is a last-in-first-out process, wherein the first in may have to wait a very long time (possibly centuries) to get out.

| top |

From http://www.alcor.org , Life Extension Foundation (The Non-Fictional LE)

What are your thoughts on this? Some of you might have seen the movie Vanilla Sky, a Sci-fi Romance that was based mostly on this perspective scientific possibility - although they added the twist of lucid dreaming and the endless possibilities that future science might offer.

Vanilla Sky was based it's concept on a lucid dream based on the possibility that eventually, after a cryonic patient is revived, anywhere from a few years to a few hundred years after their death (depending on the evolution of technology), they would be revived using modern science of the time, and subjected to whatever present technology they had that would conjugate a lucid dream.

The movie was quite complicated, and it's box office downfall was that you had to watch it twice in order to pin point the "Moment of Splice" (which was the scene where David Aames (Tom Cruise) passes out drunk and lonely in an ally) in the movie which throws together the plot. In the end, David had to say goodbye to dream figment of someone he fell in love with 150 years earlier. A memorable quote was when David said to his dream lover, "Look at us. You've been dead for over century and I'm frozen."

Back to the Life Extension - while technology to apply lucid dreaming is way out there; it isn't at the same time, because Life Extension technology, IF it works (The science of the physical body may have a God-given mechanism to counter this), has the entire future to lean on. Cryonic revival technology not available in 2189? No problem. Wait another 400 years. Cryonic patiets aren't going anywhere but science is.

Now two things can happen now. A cryonic patient might simply be revived, simply waking up from a long slumber. They might spend a few months in physical and social therapy and that would be it - released into the new world. Or their revival might come at a time when cryonic life giving is possible, as well as controlled lucid dreaming; mind you, this could be thousands of years from now, and God only knows what scientists may learn from the brain and synapsis gap. It is interesting to note that in Vanilla Sky, most people are eventually confronted by Life Extension technical support at one point or another in the lucid dream, reminding them that they may continue living in their lucid dream until the next technical check-up, or they may freely decide to end the lucid dream, and re-join the real world - a civilization with completely different souls than before. Delightful!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Cryonic Life Extension [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3637868 - 01/17/05 06:07 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

has anyone ever been revived?

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#3637914 - 01/17/05 06:29 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I hope I get rich so I can freeze myself up.

The only problem is waking up to find yourself the half human half robot slave to an alien race.  :frown:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Cryonic Life Extension [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3638309 - 01/17/05 10:14 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

> has anyone ever been revived?

Only thawed, not revived.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
Jâ™ 
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3638492 - 01/17/05 11:00 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

As far as I am concerned, cryonics are right now a complete scam. From what I know, no one has ben able to overcome the MASSIVE cellular damage caused by freezing. Everyone knows that water expands when you freeze it, but that means that if you freeze a cell it will burst due to the pressure. If you cause this kind of destruction to nearly all the cells in a human body (as I am sure happens in current cryogenic techniques) I can't see any way of "reviving" the individual without replacing all or most of those dead cells. With damage throughout the entire body...we are FAR closer to just being able to clone an entire human than we are to replacing such a large number of cells.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlinegreenpastures
Stranger

Re: Cryonic Life Extension [Re: trendal]
    #3638706 - 01/17/05 12:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

if someone would have told me that vannilla sky had even a little bit of talk on lucid dreaming , i would have seen it years ago. damn media.

--------------------
Do as i say. Do as i do.
Good. Now instead of eating a mushroom that is not yours. Eat the ones in the super market. Thanks. -droz
"German's love white rice."-droz

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
Jâ™ 
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Cryonic Life Extension [Re: greenpastures]
    #3638724 - 01/17/05 12:07 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It's not the lucid dreaming we usually talk about. Lucid Dreaming is a system (in the movie) by which you can "live" your life, in a dream, while you are in cryogenic suspension.

Vanilla Sky is a great movie, though. All the people I saw it with said it was too strange for them to enjoy...but I loved it! Wild twists.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Loc: state,country,etc.
Re: Cryonic Life Extension [Re: trendal]
    #3638739 - 01/17/05 12:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It's always nice to know that someone up there in hollywood still thinks about deeper stuff

--------------------
"..and suddenly it began to rain"

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Cryonic Life Extension [Re: skystone]
    #3640067 - 01/17/05 05:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Cameron Crowe made the movie. I think he is a great movie maker. Vanilla Sky was a very deep movie that was cloaked in symbolism. Some people might see it only as a movie about cyronic life extension, but the movie is a metaphor in itself for life. Even on the cover it lists of just random aspects of this world that make up life. I'm disappointed that the movie flopped at the Box Office because I felt a strange connection to the David Aames character. I saw myself in him.

Also, this isn't a Cameron Crowe original... it's a Hollywood re-make of a Spanish film called Abre Los Ojos, which means Open Your Eyes. I haven't seen, but it's pretty much the same as Vanilla Sky I hear only without the obvious elements of popular culture, ie Running alone in Times Square, The Almost-Vincent Van Gogh-like skies that persist through the entire lucid dream, and the Music that David identifies with. It's a great movie, and I watch it fairly often.. One of my favorites actually!

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3640997 - 01/17/05 08:43 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

In a future possibly plagued with a population problem would they really want to revive and cure an individual whose skills are no longer relevant? What then...put them on welfare? No matter how good this process gets it is still a waste of time to the average person...even assuming that the "sleeping" person can be revived.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3641416 - 01/17/05 10:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The problem is all the wrong people would be revived.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Cryonic Life Extension [Re: Jellric]
    #3641577 - 01/17/05 10:47 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yea, they made a movie about that with Wesley Snipes and Sly Stallone. One criminal was frozen and brought back, unleashed chaos on a pacifist society, so they unthawed a law enforcement officer who would be equally as violent to take him on.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3641623 - 01/17/05 10:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

no proof that it would work then.
thaw yes
re-animate no.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Cryonic Life Extension [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3641638 - 01/17/05 11:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yea, but this leans on the future. Re-animation might be possible thousands and thousands of years into the future.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order