Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewayoverworked
Stranger
mycobag mycelium stopped growing
    #3602579 - 01/09/05 08:23 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

My mycobag mycelium stopped growing after about 3 weeks and reaching a couple tablespoons in size. It feels hard and does not turn blue when disturbed (thru the bag. There is no visible contamination and the medium appears moist. The events around this are way below but first I'll discuss what I think I might do and state that I have read lots of FAQs and posts. This is my first ever attempt. I look fwd to hearing your comments and suggestions.

One thing I was thinking was to cut open the bag, extract the mycelium and soak it in sterile water for a few hours then put it back in the bag and tape over the hole. I'd then gently compress the grow medium such that the myc has good contact.

Another idea was to attempt to break up the myc while it is still in the bag, spread it around a little then introduce a bit of sterile water and then compress the back back into it's brick shape.

A third idea is to extract the myc, and basically follow the honey tek concept and break it up into a honey-sterile water solution from which later I would use to inoculate a new bag.

Another idea is to just inoculate the bag again but I don't want to waste my spore suringe.

Last idea is to extract it, and soak it in a juice, strain and drink.

How I did it:
12/15 Inoculated small grain based myco bag.
12/22 Myc visible
From 12/15 - 1/1 had trouble keeping enviromnet temp stable. Ranged from 65F to 90F. It's stable now that I'm using an old heating pad on low, with a single layer of of small bubble wrap between it and the bag. The bag is inside a larger tash bag with a thermometer/hydrometer and some of those clear water releasing crystals (you soak them and they get really big and look like clear jello balls. Humidity inside the trash bag is 90%. All of this is inside a filing cabinet.

12/27 got impatient with apparently slow growth. After more reading I decided that the medium was too tightly packed. I did some gental losening of the material by squeezing the bag until it was about 1/2 inch higher in the bag. This probably stopped the growth for some reason.

Please advise.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecountZero
the strange
Loc: South Africa
Re: mycobag mycelium stopped growing [Re: wayoverworked]
    #3602597 - 01/09/05 08:30 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

don't open the bag! If you do you are doomed.

--------------------
(,)(,)

*.....*

Offlinewayoverworked
Stranger
Re: mycobag mycelium stopped growing [Re: countZero]
    #3602655 - 01/09/05 08:47 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, so you don't think extracting the myc is a good idea; do you have a recommendation? Have you ever used these bags?

OfflinePorchMonkey321
Mycophile

#3602724 - 01/09/05 09:12 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Agreed with countZero, if you open the bag, you may as well go ahead and toss it. Does your mycobag have a filter patch on the top of it? Make sure it's not closed up or folded over. Also, try taking it out of the garbage bag, myc needs air exchange to grow, and that bag allows for no exchange at all. Try it and get back to us, good luck.

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: mycobag mycelium stopped growing [Re: PorchMonkey321]
    #3603097 - 01/09/05 11:05 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

how do you know growth has stopped? Can you get any photos? Sounds to me like it just needs a good shaken. Break up all the mycelium with your fingers and disperese it through the bag as best as you can. I make my own mycobags, i have expierience.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3603106 - 01/09/05 11:08 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

just wait, bags take a while to completely colonize, it doesnt sound like its been
abused, it should still be growing but that growth may be hidden

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: mycobag mycelium stopped growing [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3603140 - 01/09/05 11:17 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

if he hasn't shaken the bag and he has a few big clumps of mycelium he needs to shake the bag. the bag will take a LOOOOOOOOONG ass time to completely colonize if it's not shaken.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlinewayoverworked
Stranger
Re: mycobag mycelium stopped growing [Re: derx]
    #3606841 - 01/10/05 05:33 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

the myc is quite hard, harder than descriptions I've read - "rubbery" is what recall it should be. When it is given a squeeze or polk it doesn't get a blue bruse. It seems to be mass unconnected to the medium. I check it daily, sometimes twice to make sure that the temp is okay. Since the trash bag is never tightly closed (mosty just folded over) and it is opened at least daily, I don't think air circulation outside of the bag is likely an issue. Of course I don't know what's going on inside the bag.

Yesterday I pressed the mass and medium back into shape then expaneded the bag to let more air in thru the filter patch. Tonight I'll mark the growths limits and try to photo.

Unless advised otherwise, and if there is no progress after a week or so I'll try breaking it up, reform it and give a another small innoc. I bet it could use the water.

Thanks

Offlinewayoverworked
Stranger
    #3613957 - 01/11/05 05:42 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

When I took this today I noticed a small newer, whiter patch starting (circled green). The older patch is still pretty hard and slightly yellow but I don't think it shows in the picture.

So do ya'll think the older patch is contributing to the over-all intent or is it pretty much dead?

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3614039 - 01/11/05 06:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

you'r doing fine then. new stuff is good, now stop peeking at it except on sundays.

Offlinesulliv23
Stranger
Re: mycobag mycelium stopped growing [Re: wayoverworked] * 1
    #23578438 - 08/26/16 02:32 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

How is the moisture in the bag? I made my WBS too wet one time and the mycelium never got down past 1/4 of the way in the jars. The way I see it, if you had to choose between a little too wet and a little too dry, the latter is better. You can always soak after the substrate is colonized from grains that were a little dry.

Good luck!

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
Re: mycobag mycelium stopped growing [Re: sulliv23]
    #23578460 - 08/26/16 03:04 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

sulliv23 said:
How is the moisture in the bag? I made my WBS too wet one time and the mycelium never got down past 1/4 of the way in the jars. The way I see it, if you had to choose between a little too wet and a little too dry, the latter is better. You can always soak after the substrate is colonized from grains that were a little dry.

Good luck!

This thread is almost 12 years old... I'm sure the moisture in the bag is very dry by now.

Plus OP has been Last seen: 11 years, 7 months ago, so like, right after he made the thread.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

Edited by Inocuole (08/26/16 03:15 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate